Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650
Default ADD/ADHD revisited

Ok so since it doesnt' seem like anyone is answering over at CF anymore....

Just got diagnosed with ADD a few days ago, what a relief to know that there is a reason for the scatterbrainness, my poor time management skills, inability to finish things once its started, etc etc, Funny thing is before my doc scored me, he was like, yeah i don't even need to read the results, its so obvious!

my doc gave me a script for a low dosage of Adderall XR (which is now a battle to get that approved with the ins company). I dont really plan on being on meds forever, just want to see if it would be a miracle drug to help me now focus and get the "noise" out of my head and what the difference really is btwn normalcy and ADD . I'm actually a bit scared to go on it, incase it makes me crazy.

I plan on doing a crap load of research and therapy for coping mechanisms. As i look back its explains so many things!

Anyway, has anyone else been diagnosed and if so what do you do to combat/cope with it? And if you are on meds, what have your experience been?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Question-how is your diet? Lots of sugar and caffeine I bet. Junk food etc...You can treat hyperactivity (I don't believe in ADD) by a change in diet and lots of exercise.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:54 PM   #3
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
Question-how is your diet? Lots of sugar and caffeine I bet. Junk food etc...You can treat hyperactivity (I don't believe in ADD) by a change in diet and lots of exercise.
i actually eat really clean, and i'm always out doing some excersize of some sort, plenty of sleep. I'm a health nut. i don't have hyperactivity part, so not ADHD, but ADD. I can sit still, i just have trouble focusing, although with ADD, on certain things you can be hyperfocused, until you lose interest.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

I haven't taken Adderall but my husband, brother-in-law and nephew have. I'm going to be totally honest with you, not to scare you, but to really inform you, OK?

My nephew was on it for only a couple of weeks at most and it really helped him with clarity, etc, when he started to have involuntary "twitches" in his fingers. It was noticeable by others and VERY bothersome to him. My sister took him off the meds and it took quite some time before the twitching went away.

My husband took it for 5 days and started having "dark" thoughts/feelings that he couldn't fully explain, but to the point he HAD to stop taking it.

My brother-in-law has had NO problems with it and it has done wonders for his memory and clarity. I think its been over a year since he started taking it.

Good luck with it!!! It CAN help but for sure look into the other options you've mentioned so you're not a slave to the drug.
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

No personal experience. Just want to let you know that you are in my thoughts about it. I hope it helps...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:59 PM   #6
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
No personal experience. Just want to let you know that you are in my thoughts about it. I hope it helps...

Same here!
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I was diagnosed in 7th grade with "severe" ADD... I was perscribed riddlin... but refused to take it... I struggled in school... but was even worse when I was doing indepenant study or homework... my mind couldn't focus if I didn't find it interesting.

I don't think I am or ever was SEVERE... but is impossible for me to sit down and study something. if it's something I'm intrested in... I'll be hooked by my interest... study'n it... no luck.

I did find i learn things very well by just being in the classroom. I absorbed it... I guess.

I learn the best when I do it.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:00 PM   #8
SoFlaSV
Guinness Bitches...

Moto: '00 SV650

I tried Ritalin and it did do anything for me.

Concerta does, but it's expensive without insurance.
SoFlaSV is offline   Reply With Quote