Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #24
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I'll run for your camera, you stay put.

Of course, I never said I'd come BACK but I'd definitely run...
Gotta help my man Tommy...

On a serious note, why run? This is the biggest thing that gets me about nature and people.

Obviously there are accidents in nature, and some person not paying attention steps on a snake that isnt paying attention and the person gets bit. And there are some animals that are much more aggressive than others, but how often (other than on "when animals attack") do you actually have an unwarranted attack by an animal?

Typically a person is engaging in some behavior that provokes the animal. Like runners that are attacked by cougars or bears. You are in THEIR territory, you are engaging in behavior typical of a prey animal (running) and most people are NOT paying attention to their surroundings.

In all my animal encounters, I move slowly and quietly, I dont provoke the animals and I have never had one flair up at me. I have surprised them and theyve run, but never in an attempt to cause me harm. I've seen big snakes, bobcats, bears, and a few others and I can simply sit and enjoy the chance to observe them outside the confines of bars at a zoo.

As for that big rattler. I saw him crossing the road, I stopped my car, grabbed the camera and slowly walked up behind him. He stopped, looked at me, and then sat and watched me while I watched him. He never coiled, or became agitated. At least not till my driver started jumping up and down hollering and upset him. *sigh*
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote