Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Track

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-14-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
zortness
Contagious Track Addict

Moto: Too many bikes
Default Race Report, WERA @ LVMS, Last Race Carnage

I posted this on the local Vegas forum this morning, thought I'd share with you guys too. I realize you won't know the screen names or who I'm talking about though. DLIT manages to show up for the last race, the one with all of the carnage.

Quote:
First, let me just say, there were many people named "Dave" involved this weekend. We have Dave (gibsonhtp), David (wera110), Dave (dieseldave), and another Dave, who is a friend of ours from Cali who pitted with us.

I just want to thank everyone who helped out in the pits. You made the riders' lives a lot less stressful so we could actually focus on racing. Steve, Dave, Dave's wife (heh, sorry), Julie, Robert, and of course, Bonnie. Also, thanks to everyone who came to hang out and watch. You guys make it feel like we actually have fans! Also, thanks to Tommy for letting me borrow the scooter, it worked out great in the pits and saved us a lot of time with tire transport.

Saturday, I got a call about 5:45 from Josh (MotoCafe), telling me to get my ass down to the track quick if I wanted a spot because the paddock was full. I thought he was just being a dick, but anyway, I showed up at 6:30, like I had planned. The place was packed, I couldn't believe it. I managed to get into the spot that Josh had saved on Friday, so we did all right for pit space.

There was the usual hectic setup on Saturday. Waiting in line for an hour, unloading the bikes, teching the bikes, and getting ready for morning practice. To add to my difficulties on Saturday, I had all new gear, leathers, boots, and gloves. None of it was broken in. So I had 3 practice sessions in the morning to get used to my gear, set up my bike, and start putting down the times.

Sure, I had it rough, but at least I didn't tuck the front, only to have my bike slide off and catch on fire like David did! Luckily, the corner workers ran up with a fire extinguisher and put it out pretty quickly. While I was changing out my rear tire, David, Josh, and Ed were putting David's bike back together frantically before the 20-lap race that was quickly approaching.

The first race of the weekend, the Middleweight Novice Solo 20. Stephen and I started up toward the front, with David and Josh behind us. Stephen and I both got good starts, he went up to 1st I think, and I went up into 5th. I ended up getting held up by the guy in 4th for a while, while the front 3 broke away. Then two guys came from behind, split me and 4th, managed to get around him, and took off. I finally got around now 6th place, and tried to catch back up to get pulled up to the front, but couldn't manage. It was a long race from that point. No one behind me, the front group varying about 2-5 seconds ahead of me as they battled. It's really difficult to stay consistent without someone in front of you, but from my lap times, it looks like I managed. About 15 laps into the race, we started making our way through the back markers. While I got held up, one more guy managed to pass me. I came up behind David and two other guys (who were all a lap down), and that's where I finished. Exhausted, in 7th place. Stephen ended up in 5th. It turns out, David's left clip-on hadn't been tightened all the way when they put his bike back together. So he had to pit and fix it, then jump back on. Funny enough, I won some money for that race, my first time winning cash... a cool $30, the last payout spot.

The second race was the Middleweight Expert Solo 20. Ed raced that one, but the rest of us were so exhausted, I didn't even get to watch most of it. By the time I got up, I couldn't tell who was in what position. Ed came in, not too happy, so I didn't ask where he finished.

Diesel Dave did the Heavyweight Novice Solo 20 later in the day. I managed to watch most of that one. For his first race in a long time, he did great! He ended up in 4th position, after telling me before the race he was just going to use it as a practice since he hadn't ridden in so long. Good work Dave!

I also watched Pridmore for a little in the Heavyweight Expert Solo 20. That guy is still ridiculous. He started toward the back, but managed to make his way up to the front really quick. The guy in first had already pulled away from the pack after a couple laps, but Jason caught him so quick, it wasn't even funny. After that, he was gone. He probably lapped all the way up to 4th place by the end.

Sunday, as always, was a bit more relaxed. Again, I showed up about 6:30. Got the bikes unloaded, moved the trailers around a little, and got ready to go out and practice. Craig, who hadn't raced on Saturday, had a few issues trying to get registered and tech'd in the morning, but managed to get out there by the 2nd practice. I got 3 practice rounds in, and then put on some new rubber. No incidents in practice for any of us on Sunday morning.

Ed had the first race of the day. C Superbike Expert (600cc). The rest of us, who had the next race, only watched the start. Ed had to start in the middle, nowhere near the front.

I had mentioned earlier how packed the paddock was. On Saturday, the grids didn't really seem too much larger than normal... but not too many people do the solo races. 20 laps at race pace is very difficult to manage. Sunday was a different story, with the grids of the sprint races hugely inflated.

Anyway, Ed got a decent start and worked his way around the pack. The rest of us had to go get ready, so we never knew where he finished.

The second race of the day, David, Josh, Craig, Stephen, and myself were all in. C Superbike Novice (600cc). All but Craig were gridded toward the front, which made the start much more interesting. The flag waved and we were off. I got a great start, up into 5th from 4th row on the grid (started 10th). Stephen was in the cluster in front of me, and we hauled ass around the track for the first lap. I managed to hold 5th, but as we came off the sweeper, the red flags were waving. I didn't see what happened, but we went into the pits and threw the warmers back on. 15 minutes later, we were called up for a re-grid. The second start was even better for me. I shot up into 4th, but again, after only a couple corners, the red flags were waving. We didn't come off the track this time, we went straight back to the grid as they cleared some bikes from turn 1. The third start for me, didn't go as well. I got into 6th this third and final start. We did the full 8 laps for this race, even with the restarts. I passed a few guys, and got passed by a few guys. The whole time, trying to catch up to Stephen, but couldn't quite manage. In the end, I finished in 6th.

Continued...
zortness is offline   Reply With Quote