Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Mechanical or Tech

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
The matter in between moving parts can determine the tolerances as wear sets in because they are a factor in the wearing process. This may not be something of concern at all in a motorcycle engine, it may have stemmed from an engine that's tolerances are a lot more unforgivening. I am just simply stating what I have heard for why you aren't suppose to change back and it may be something that isn't even a concern for these engines. Instead of being completely unhelpful to this topic, why don't you try researching why this notion was started that you can't go from syn to dino.
I'm not sure what you mean but particles in the oil could affect tolerance by wearing down parts but I don't think that the type of oil would be a factor in this case. Other than synth's ability to suspend particles better of course. I really don't see how oil can affect tolerance but hey you're the boss so...

I'll look into the origins of this myth but I'm sure it'll end up being the usual situation. People don't know the answer or they don't understand something so they make stuff up. If the same stupid therory is repeated enough times,it becomes the rule. Just like how people believed the world was flat. Some ass was asked what the shape of the world was and instead of admitting he didn't know,he made something up. Simple.

My own half assed opinion on why you can't swap back would be that because synth is a better lube and bonds to parts better,maybe it masks bearing probs. So when you switch back to the inferior dino oil,you get failures and/or elevated engine noise as the synth is "washed" away. Or just simply,you get used to synth's superior properties; engine runs cooler,less noise,etc,then you put dino in and your motor is noisier,runs hotter,etc.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote