Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-08-2011, 09:24 AM   #21
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
Wow, I completely forgot about this thread. So..... I turned the job down. Just was a little uneasy about how new and small the dealership was. Me and my mom clashed about it a bit, but she was worried about slow times. So I waited a bit, and I'm glad I did. But now I'm in a perdiciment because I got 2 job offers within 2 days.

The first job is a real estate management position. I'd be in control of 57 properties currently... with the plan to go larger scale down the road with rental properties in florida, and large scale apartment complexes. It's an independant position, so I'd have my own office in my own building, calling the shots. Pay right off the bat is fanfuckingtastic, especially for a 22 yr old. Medical insurance and such. The best part is this job is guarenteed, and the big boss is my dad's best friend, who I consider my mentor.

The second job is part of my dream job. Its an agent position at one of the premeir talent agencies in ohio. Initial thoughts were I'd have to move to Cinci, but I just found out its the Columbus agent thats leaving. Perks include company phone, company laptop, my own office, free screening to every movie before it comes out to the general public, free access to concerts and shows, and rich clients that will give you cool shit. Trips to NY and LA for movie red carpet movie premeirs. And you get to work with alot of powerful famous people. Office hours are only 10:30-5, but you have to be on call at all times. The only problem is starting pay sucks until you become established with a client list. The big boss figured only $11-12 a hour the first year, which completely blows.

So do I take the solid deal with the big bucks? Or do I take the dream job with all the perks, and the money later on???
Take the job that's going to benefit you most in the long run... at 22 you should be building your resume... go for the job that matches what you want to do for the rest of your life (or at least think you want to do)... If it's neither of those, then go for the job that offers the best experience/advancement opportunities to benefit your resume when you go for your dream job...

Just based on life experience your 'dream job' sounds like Cutco knives and Kirby vacuums on the surface... Easy to get in, hard to make work, and huge turnover/burnout factor. That said, some people out there make ridiculous money doing those things, so it can be done. Oh, and if you're making $11-12/hr... You probably won't be working very closely with a ton of rich and powerful people... at least not in any capacity that will benefit you.

However, maybe you'll get to do some casting... as in casting couching...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote