Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #17
Turbo Ghost
Movie Star

Moto: KLR650

You mentioned a shift in how Americans view firearm ownership. I agree. The best example I've seen (which google has failed to find for me) was a cartoon in Hustler magazine. It was a two-panel, then and now cartoon. On the left it showed a frontier setting with several kids off to school in the morning with a slightly older boy carrying his long-rifle. The caption was "They'll be ok. Johnny's got his gun." The right panel showed a school massacre with the caption "Oh my god! Johnny's got a gun!".
We've gotten away from the idea that a gun is a tool to be used in many ways. We can procure food. We can have fun with targets. We can defend ourselves and if necessary others and in extreme examples our nation. Today's generation and probably the last few were not raised with guns and have no respect or understanding of them and only see them as dangerous weapons and they use them as such.
No one needs weapons like that you say? (not you, the general anti-gun lobby) That depends on what the situation. If I were in the L.A. riots several years back, considering I'm white for a white boy, I would want as much firepower as possible to protect myself. I would not be out looking for trouble. I would be barricaded in my home. If you want to get into the need for things being the only reason to have them then perhaps we should look at our bikes. My KLR has 35RWHP and will cruise the highways just fine and on a really good day, it will hit around 100mph. So, obviously there's no reason for anymore HP than that. They should ban these crazy power-monsters! It's too much! What if they point it at a schoolyard! They could kill dozens of children with one of those! Etc.
The 2nd amendment was created to make sure we remained a free society. Free from the oppression of any invading force AND the oppression of our own government should it turn corrupt. (even moreso than it is now) A "well-regulated militia" is US! That's US not U.S.! There was no standing army back then. It was any man woman or child that could hold a gun to protect themselves and those that couldn't or wouldn't.
I have owned many guns over the years since I was about 10 and started shooting when I was about 6. I have never pointed a gun towards any human for ANY reason in that time and hope I never need to do so. If I'm pointing a gun at a human, they have done something terribly wrong. None of the guns I've owned have been military style weapons. They're nice and I like them but, never had any desire to own any. I can accomplish whatever I need with what I have. There are those who feel they need those weapons and I have no problem with that.
As you mentioned, the problems run much deeper than guns and I agree. There are many problems. More guns aren't necessarily the solution but, fewer guns is just as much a problem.
Turbo Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote