Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition
Default Lets define success...

Check out the video and then chime in as to what you believe is success and what does it take to achieve it?

http://money.cnn.com/?cnn=yes

Back when I was racing I veiwed a successful race not where I finished necessarily, but how far I had come. Racing against more experienced racers on better prepped bikes, sometimes even professionally run teams meant that I had to weigh the chances of finishing and if I had equalled or surpassed my expectations I felt really good whether that was 1st or 5th.

As I got to be a better handicapper of my competition and my own skill I came to a better realization of my "success" or "failure". Finishing 5th in a class i should have podiumed in was a heartbreaker. Finishing in the top ten of a class I was completely outranked was a huge win for me.

So to me I suppose I view success as how far I have come with the opportunities granted to me. Not necessarily how far I have come compared to the rest of the world, my peers, or class mates. Should I be better off with those same opportunities or should I really be worse off for the poor situations that I have found myself in.

And it is not just measured by material scale either. I have grown as a person, nurtured relationships, and made sacrifices that go beyond my clothes, my bike and car, and my home.

What about ya'll??

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote