Yes I have a gun/guns in my house 79 84.95%
No - Do not and would not own a gun 7 7.53%
I do not currently, but have in the past been a gun owner 7 7.53%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2009, 06:52 AM   #101
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Besides the bullet is actualy sterile when it enters the body due to the heat build up.

Tom

That was my excuse for not wearing a condom in HS
Old 10-15-2009, 07:28 AM   #102
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
.22 rounds are actually very lethal. The can bounce around inside you and cause ton of damage. They usually dont exit a body and I've always heard a bullet that exits is a lot better than one that stays for dinner. They can also travel super duper fast at super duper distances. Never shoot one off in the air cause it'll hit your neighbor 2 miles away. LOL
Depends on the calibre and round. Considering tests that I did with my .44 lever rifle showed a less than 1/2" entry wound and up to a 5" exit wound, I think that having the bullet stick around might lead to slightly less blood loss.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #103
Rider
Moto GP Star

As a first hand witness to the effects of bullet wounds, bullets that both enter AND exit are far more devastating. Now you have 2 holes to bleed out of and the exit wound is at least 2-3 times greater than the entry depending on bullet construction. Even a bullet as small as a 7mm(.284) will cause a deer to bleed out almost all of their blood in under a minute depending on where they are hit. They might run for more than 10-15 seconds but eventually they all of the sudden drop dead.

Every deer I have ever (knowingly) killed has had an exit wound. The ones that got away, either I missed or the bullet didn't pass all the way through. Usually on the exit side about 5-10 yards behind the deer will be significant blood spray.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:15 PM   #104
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Regarding .22 lethality...

Statistically, the .22LR cartridge is responsible for more gun fatalities than any other caliber combined. That is, if you don't include war statistics.

I can put rounds on target with my .22LR pistol roughly 3x as fast as I can my .40 S&W or .45ACP. Even so, I wouldn't rely on it for self defense, unless I had nothing else.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 04:52 PM   #105
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post

Statistically, the .22LR cartridge is responsible for more gun fatalities than any other caliber combined. That is, if you don't include war statistics.
I'm guessing that's because the .22LR is more prevalent in terms of sheer numbers, than any other caliber.

Quote:
I can put rounds on target with my .22LR pistol roughly 3x as fast as I can my .40 S&W or .45ACP. Even so, I wouldn't rely on it for self defense, unless I had nothing else.
Reminds me of a buddy of mine giving me shit for carrying a .380

"You can't stop shit with that .380"

"So, you wouldn't mind if I shot you with it then?"

"Um, well...."

"Yeah, that's what I thought. STFU."

JC
Old 10-15-2009, 05:22 PM   #106
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

So how many times do you have to shoot someone with a .22 for them to stop trying to go after you?

I have been told that .22 has no stopping power what ever that means.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:40 PM   #107
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
So how many times do you have to shoot someone with a .22 for them to stop trying to go after you?

Who cares, .22 ammo is cheap.

Seriously though, this issue has been studied a ton of times by the military. Many of them are available online if you feel like reading about the best scientific method for blasting livestock. It has also been debated to death on the internet. There is still nothing close to a consensus.

In my opinion the best gun and caliber for lighting up bad guys (and girls of course) is the one the shooter is most comfortable with. A .45 may be able to stop a rampaging (insert hyperbolic object here), but if the shooter is uncomfortable with the gun they will not be able to hit that object to stop it.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:57 PM   #108
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:

Could that be because they're the most common? Statistics can be misleading. For example, white vehicles receive more speeding tickets than any other color. Not because they're perceived to be speeders (red gets that honor) but because there are more white cars on the road than any other color.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #109
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:

And I can put 90 rounds into a basketball sized target at a range of 70 metres, in a minute and a half including the clip changes.

... and do as much damage to the target as one load of buckshot.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:15 PM   #110
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:

Mine will shoot regular or LR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post

With mine it wouldn't matter, you couldn't reload fast enough to matter. (It's a bolt action.) I'd be better off running from whomever.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote