Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #101
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
You guys talk about the Miata like it's some kind of wonder car. I've driven one(a brand new one in 2003) on more than 1 occasion and it was severely under powered. It reminded me of a high school friends 67 Fiat Spider with a little better handling but no more power.
Ya, my aunts husband had one for about a month, he said the same thing. Do they handle well? Sure! But its like choking a dead horse to get it to move.

In his words, 'It handles well in tight turns, because it doesnt have enough power to leave the road', lol.

They really dont impress me in the least. Big deal, it handles well. I want power, handling is a distant second. A couple of grand worth of work, and any car will handle better.

Give me a twin turbo supra from the early nineties, then were talkin'!

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:31 PM   #102
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc
They really dont impress me in the least. Big deal, it handles well. I want power, handling is a distant second. A couple of grand worth of work, and any car will handle better.
!
But with that same couple grand you could put a blower on the Miata. It's pretty common to see Miata's with 300+ hp, even the early ones.

Yeah you can make any car handle better, but you still can't take a 3,500 lb car and trim it all the way down to 2,500.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #103
goof2
AMA Supersport

The Fast and Furious crowd fucked up the early 90s Supra. Good luck getting a stock one and if you do find one people want stupid money for a 15+ year old car that is usually a bit tired.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #104
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
Little cars are for roads like Deals Gap. No power needed just a slick box and some momentum. I have always preferred 2+2 coupes like the 'Stang and Camaro so you can power out. To each his own. For 8K i am looking for a bike for playing on. Sometimes cheap toys can fill the need tho...
I gotta agree, if you're looking for something with real power right out of the factory I am a die hard Stang fan. Not a one of my vehicles has ever had the giddy up as my GT, tho I would prefer it to be less of a tank as far as structure and body. I love the look, and while it handles decent, its like being in an armored tank.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:37 PM   #105
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
But with that same couple grand you could put a blower on the Miata. It's pretty common to see Miata's with 300+ hp, even the early ones.

Yeah you can make any car handle better, but you still can't take a 3,500 lb car and trim it all the way down to 2,500.
You cant make a 3500lb car 2500lbs, and you cant make a Miata nice to look at.

I fail to see how the weight of a miata is supposed to impress me?

Old 02-22-2010, 02:38 PM   #106
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
The Fast and Furious crowd fucked up the early 90s Supra. Good luck getting a stock one and if you do find one people want stupid money for a 15+ year old car that is usually a bit tired.
Oh, I know. I've looked in the past.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #107
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Because light weight and small size lets you toss it around without fear. Try tossing a Camaro around Deals Gap with no fear. You can hardly see out of it, much less predict when the tires are gonna let go.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:45 PM   #108
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Because light weight and small size lets you toss it around without fear. Try tossing a Camaro around Deals Gap with no fear. You can hardly see out of it, much less predict when the tires are gonna let go.
Apoc = 2 people
Weight advantage of Miata negated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #109
Apoc

Quote:
I can see fine out of a Camaro. And like I said, a little work, and itll handle fine.

They arent nice cars, and theyve got zero power. They dont impress me, no matter how good the handling is.

There are other places to drive cars than the gap. If im going to drive something every day, its not gonna be an uncomfortable, underpowered, sissy looking miata.

All the arguements in the world wont change that.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:00 PM   #110
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:

if i were to build one id lighten the rotating assembly as much as possible, raise the redline, toss in some cams, light flywheel and an itb setup. Loud, light, and responsive. Perfect for suicidal corner entry speeds or i could just keep my nsx
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote