No - Do not and would not own a gun 7 7.53%
I do not currently, but have in the past been a gun owner 7 7.53%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-15-2009, 11:27 PM   #111
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
As a first hand witness to the effects of bullet wounds, bullets that both enter AND exit are far more devastating. Now you have 2 holes to bleed out of and the exit wound is at least 2-3 times greater than the entry depending on bullet construction. Even a bullet as small as a 7mm(.284) will cause a deer to bleed out almost all of their blood in under a minute depending on where they are hit. They might run for more than 10-15 seconds but eventually they all of the sudden drop dead.

Every deer I have ever (knowingly) killed has had an exit wound. The ones that got away, either I missed or the bullet didn't pass all the way through. Usually on the exit side about 5-10 yards behind the deer will be significant blood spray.
A lot of the gunshot wounds I have treated werent very bloody at all, usualy just an entrance or exit wound. Its all the internal damage we need to try to figure out that makes them challenging.

We also have an equation so as to not miss a bullet. the # of holes and # of bullets must be an even #, if its an odd # you either missed a hole or a bullet.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:49 PM   #112
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
A lot of the gunshot wounds I have treated werent very bloody at all, usualy just an entrance or exit wound. Its all the internal damage we need to try to figure out that makes them challenging.

We also have an equation so as to not miss a bullet. the # of holes and # of bullets must be an even #, if its an odd # you either missed a hole or a bullet.

Tom

Good to know.

Not always bloody is correct. Silly movies/tv have people to believe silly things. I've seen a lot of dead deer (me being one of the shooters) and most don't bleed a lot. Maybe a 1/4 coffee cup at most.

I have seen one human body shot up close. It was bloody but like bloody snot and bloody boogers. Bullet went in back side of back and used the back skin as a sling shot and exited out the other end without even touching the spine.

Last edited by Rangerscott; 10-15-2009 at 11:55 PM..
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:23 AM   #113
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
So how many times do you have to shoot someone with a .22 for them to stop trying to go after you?

I have been told that .22 has no stopping power what ever that means.
Stopping power is a subjective measurement of 'knockdown', or perhaps the probability of a 1 shot kill.
Small calibers are plenty lethal, but they are more subject to deflection by bone, carry less kinetic energy (knockdown), and create smaller wound channels.
I think someone mentioned that .22 bullets have a tendency to bounce around inside a pers... err "target".
I've heard this as well, but it would depend on how it enters the body, what it encounters, velocity, angle... in other words, the right combination of factors.
Not something you'd want to count on in a life or death situation.
Well, you know, unless you train with the Mossad and are confident making eye shots.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:22 AM   #114
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

yes
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:53 AM   #115
nhgunnut
gun totin redneck

Moto: turbo busa 999 Duc Goldwing & Victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Stopping power is a subjective measurement of 'knockdown', or perhaps the probability of a 1 shot kill.
Small calibers are plenty lethal, but they are more subject to deflection by bone, carry less kinetic energy (knockdown), and create smaller wound channels.
I think someone mentioned that .22 bullets have a tendency to bounce around inside a pers... err "target".
I've heard this as well, but it would depend on how it enters the body, what it encounters, velocity, angle... in other words, the right combination of factors.
Not something you'd want to count on in a life or death situation.
Well, you know, unless you train with the Mossad and are confident making eye shots.
I agree I would not want o have to count on a 22. On the other hand allow to quote gun wiriter Elmer Keith, When he was asked is a 22 a good defence round his answer
" Beats the hell out of you fingernails!" He then went on to say "The first rule of a gun fight is bring a gun"(not a bad plan for a knife fight either) When this statement was published, Col Jeff Cooper who was that time writing for a competing gun rag said "Just one Elmer?"
Old 10-18-2009, 01:46 PM   #116
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

Well, from what some of my friends say, it takes 6 months to a year to get a handgun permit in NY and they charge the hell out of you for it. We had to sell our Glock 22 .40 cal when we moved here. We replaced it with a 12g FN. As far as 12s go, this thing rocks. I would eventually like to get a handgun though...
This was a friend's gun

This is the FN

It was raining the day we went shooting...

I love skeet shooting!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:16 PM   #117
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

A shotty is probably #1 for home defense. Tons of knock down power and if using pellets you dont have to worry about them going through the walls as much. LOL

A short shotty would probably be best to be able to move it around more freely.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #118
CasterTroy

Old 10-18-2009, 02:46 PM   #119
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

I own guns and have a concealed/carrying license.

Infact this morning I went out to my backyard and shot my 10/22 off some. Damn I love living in the country.
Old 10-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #120
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I'm guessing that's because the .22LR is more prevalent in terms of sheer numbers, than any other caliber.
JC
Medically a .22 causes more damage because it usually doesn't exit the body but bounces around inside tearing up more internal organs.

I also agree though that it is probably one of the most owned guns