I do not currently, but have in the past been a gun owner 7 7.53%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #121
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Diva View Post
Medically a .22 causes more damage because it usually doesn't exit the body but bounces around inside tearing up more internal organs.

I also agree though that it is probably one of the most owned guns
lol, please feel free to read the above posts.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:17 PM   #122
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Quote:
Medically a .22 causes more damage because it usually doesn't exit the body but bounces around inside tearing up more internal organs.
I'd rather a 22 round in one of my organs than 2 large holes in that organ with parts of it on the wall behind me. 22lrs tend to bounce around in a skull not a body. Skulls are small targets. Don't get me wrong a gun you have is way better than a gun you left at home. The problem with 22lrs is they tend not to expand like other rounds and don't carry the mass to shock the system. I have spoke with people that thave been shot with 22lr and some have said they did not even know it at first. A lot of this is shot placement but you need to shock the system to stop the crime.

Heavy fast moving bullets smash things as they travel through matter. They tend to tranfer there energy on impact and have more shock factor. As a example my son got his first deer this year and the entry wound side had only one rib that was not broken, a 22lr will not do that. Its all about lots of energy and mass.

For the record most hand gun rounds are weak when compared to long guns but again a gun you have is better than the one at home.

http://www.gunrightsradio.com

Proarms has lots of great info.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #123
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Reminds me of a buddy of mine giving me shit for carrying a .380

"You can't stop shit with that .380"
If someone busted out an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle on me I'd be hitting the decks. I have a 44mag but if I carry for defense I actually keep some 44special hollow points (god damn are they hollow). I normally carry a 357mag for concealed.

For most people a 380 or 9mm is perfect for concealed carry unless you plan to get into a gun battle where you need to shoot through a car door.

But I still do love big guns. Nothing like a 44mag going through someone's chest upset their day. Plus big shiny revolvers are great intimidation.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #124
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
If someone busted out an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle on me I'd be hitting the decks. I have a 44mag but if I carry for defense I actually keep some 44special hollow points (god damn are they hollow). I normally carry a 357mag for concealed.

For most people a 380 or 9mm is perfect for concealed carry unless you plan to get into a gun battle where you need to shoot through a car door.

But I still do love big guns. Nothing like a 44mag going through someone's chest upset their day. Plus big shiny revolvers are great intimidation.
I enjoy shooting it but damn, .44 mag is out of control. I can shoot hundreds of rounds of .45 in a day without a problem. After 6 rounds through a .44 mag revolver I was about done with that gun for the day.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:23 PM   #125
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

You know on the gun size subject, I carry a full size 1911 and don't find it cumbersome at all... And I'm not a big guy.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #126
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
A shotty is probably #1 for home defense. Tons of knock down power and if using pellets you dont have to worry about them going through the walls as much. LOL

A short shotty would probably be best to be able to move it around more freely.
Agree. As soon as I moved into my own with the wife I bought a 20ga youth length pump action shotty. I lived in a condo so I didn't want anything to go thru walls.. hence 20 ga. Plus it makes it easier for the wife to yield. Still keep it loaded with safety off next to my bed.

Nothing beats the sound of a pump action. And every would be thief knows that sound!

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:35 AM   #127
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post

Nothing beats the sound of a pump action. And every would be thief knows that sound!

While I agree.....after taking a few general firearms training, CCW classes, and training with the Charlotte police ** and seeing their preparedness speal, a chambered handgun decocked (or properly safety'd) is the best “instant ready” IMHO (notice I put my OPINION and not gospel)

The time it takes to chamber a shotgun round may be the only time a home invader needs to acquire your position in the dark and already have something coming for YOU

**not attempting to "drop names" or pound my chest about being an expert because of XYZ experience, but simply establishing that I didn't learn this stuff from watching how Crockett and Tubbs "carried" on Miami Vice back in the day
Old 10-19-2009, 10:00 AM   #128
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Agree. As soon as I moved into my own with the wife I bought a 20ga youth length pump action shotty. I lived in a condo so I didn't want anything to go thru walls.. hence 20 ga. Plus it makes it easier for the wife to yield. Still keep it loaded with safety off next to my bed.

nice. like i said i just got my little home def 870 w/ the 20" barrel. still has the regular tube so I should get 5 of the 2 3/4 rnds in w/ the plug pulled.

One thing of note, this past weekend I went to the gun shop and got to play with the Taurus Judge revolver.... The recoil wasn't nearly as bad as I had been anticipating (I think we used #7 though) but the spread was particularly amazing and I think I'll be picking up one (the one i shot was the 3" barrel) for HD and have the shotty in the closet. I went to a dinner the other night w/ the president of Taurus Intl. as the keynote speaker and he showed a few targets that they tested w/ shotguns and then the Judge revolver. Pretty interesting. The shotgun's pellets take a while before they "spread" but you'll get a real nice hole in the target. W/ the judge they spread pretty quickly pretty fast.

If you hadn't gone and tested out the Judge. please do so. I think you'll be impressed.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 AM   #129
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I have often wondered what The Judge would be like but have never fired one.

We have no kids in the house so it's run what you brung around here.

Since our house is 3 levels and we have no kids...we've "stashed" a few toys around...just in case. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

My main daily carry is a Glock 27 .40 cal. I like it but I'm not a Glock cheerleader so I'm not saying it's the best or the worst...but it works for me.

I have a few things stashed around and at any given time it could be one of a few handguns...a 12 gauge...an AR-15...an SKS and/or a few sharp pointy things. Cool that the wife likes swords and midievel toys as well.

You'd really never know it if you came over...it doesn't look the part.

Everything is put away well enough that the average burglar wouldn't run across them plus I have a gun safe for when I'm away for extended periods and other "stuff".
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:04 PM   #130
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I enjoy shooting it but damn, .44 mag is out of control. I can shoot hundreds of rounds of .45 in a day without a problem. After 6 rounds through a .44 mag revolver I was about done with that gun for the day.
I've never had problems with big guns. 44mag, 454, 460, 500, and even a 45-70 government revolvers are fun for me to shoot for a long time.

Some video. I love taking my 44mag and putting four 44specials with one 44mag in the end (5shot). People at the range stop becuase they think my gun blew up. I love it...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nsu0kyHXF8

But these large pistols are useless overall for self-defense.