Whatja drinkin'?
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:55 AM   #122
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
You sure that wasn't 01 or 02 when they did that?

Plus the 90's ones looked like dick with that ugly headlight and upper fairing they used to have. It wasn't till later that they got the dual-headlight setup.
Nope...1998 as pauldun170 posted and why I remember is I was at Daytona Bikeweek in 1997 and my friend was dead set on getting the 98 R1 when it came out. I didn't want to copy him and was looking at other bikes from the big 4.

Kawasaki had a tent set up and I sat on the 1997 ZX9 and stated something to the effect of "If they would take about 70 lbs. off this bike I'd buy it."

Well when the 98 brochure came out it said exactly that !! "The ZX9R drops 70 lbs." He showed up at my house and dropped the brochure in front of me and said put up or shut up !! So I did...went to the local dealer and bought a candy apple red one. I didn't lilke the black lower fairing and wanted the bike all one color so I took it off and had it painted but the guy couldn't get the color exactly right so I changed the color of the entire bike.

I took the tank and all plastics off and had it painted black since there was no black ones offered in the US...had some decals made that said ZX9RR and had a one of a kind.

I later sold it and bought a 2000 R1.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #123
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Nope...1998 as pauldun170 posted and why I remember is I was at Daytona Bikeweek in 1997 and my friend was dead set on getting the 98 R1 when it came out. I didn't want to copy him and was looking at other bikes from the big 4.

Kawasaki had a tent set up and I sat on the 1997 ZX9 and stated something to the effect of "If they would take about 70 lbs. off this bike I'd buy it."

Well when the 98 brochure came out it said exactly that !! "The ZX9R drops 70 lbs." He showed up at my house and dropped the brochure in front of me and said put up or shut up !! So I did...went to the local dealer and bought a candy apple red one. I didn't lilke the black lower fairing and wanted the bike all one color so I took it off and had it painted but the guy couldn't get the color exactly right so I changed the color of the entire bike.

I took the tank and all plastics off and had it painted black since there was no black ones offered in the US...had some decals made that said ZX9RR and had a one of a kind.

I later sold it and bought a 2000 R1.
We got all black in Canada, but no red. There were several requests at the local shop for full plastics swaps with the US model.

It just figured that when Kawi got it right, Yamaha had to eclipse the fact that their bike had improved so much. Every R1 that the same shop had was sold that year. I remember a salesman telling me that all but 2 came back on a flatbed.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #124
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
Most of the European immigrants that came over back in the days didn't speekee no ingles either. How many of them never bothered to learn to speekee ingles after being here most of their lives? How the fuck is grandma at 60 going to learn a new language?
Were not talking about them, those were strong and courageous pioneers who came to the US to work hard ad make a better life for their children. Were talking about dirty Mexicans here.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:15 AM   #125
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
We got all black in Canada, but no red. There were several requests at the local shop for full plastics swaps with the US model.

It just figured that when Kawi got it right, Yamaha had to eclipse the fact that their bike had improved so much. Every R1 that the same shop had was sold that year. I remember a salesman telling me that all but 2 came back on a flatbed.
I loved the red but when the guy couldn't get my lower fairings to match I said screw it...let's do all black.

I liked my 98 ZX9R.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:27 AM   #126
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I like the way we have two threads running concurrently here!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:38 AM   #127
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

this thread makes me and then

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 10:42 AM   #128
z06boy
Letzroll

Ok back on topic...however we don't know if the original R1 owner was illegal or not.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:50 AM   #129
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I like the way we have two threads running concurrently here!
Those are the best ones.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:52 PM   #130
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
Whatja drinkin'?
I was drinking champagne. After the amount of time it took me to write that post, I decided to step away from the computer.
2up is offline   Reply With Quote