Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #131
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Work is a different story entirely for me. Personal phones aren't allowed most places in the plant or don't get signal because of how the buildings are built. I have a work specific cell phone that is call only that will receive calls because we have our own tower for just work phones that lets us use them most places

Personal use on the job is a no no anyway, so this is really a nonissue. Personal use smartphones should be banned from the workplace. Too easy to play video games or watch videos. If I had a business, you would have to check your smartphone at the door before you entered work.

Personal use time, I want to be able to ask response questions without having a back and forth for 2 hours. It's much easier to just talk someone than txting. If it's a simple "I am almost there" or "on the way" txt sure. If it's asking what do you need at the grocery store or want me to explain something, your ass better be calling me or you aren't getting a response.

Ahh, see thats cuz you work in a high security type deal. In my office they actually pay a small portion of my phone bill since I have to use it for work related stuff alot of the time. I am constantly tracking down my co workers via text while they are out on smoke breaks since I cant leave my desk. Not to mention the random work related crap I get late at night for unimportant stuff that could be handled in the morning. Everyone but me here spends about 90% of their time or more on personal calls, both office phone and cell. One more reason I hate phone calls.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #132
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Everyone but me here spends about 90% of their time or more on personal calls, both office phone and cell.
And that's why phones should be banned from work. Unless it's an emergency, you aren't getting paid to talk about what neighbor is doing what today.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #133
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
You sure you want to liken yourself to marko
Sure she does. I'm a gentleman.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:16 PM   #134
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
And that's why phones should be banned from work. Unless it's an emergency, you aren't getting paid to talk about what neighbor is doing what today.

Turner Construction Co. (big project management group) did a time study on all the man hours lost from cell phone usage on a large scale project in Kentucky. I can't recall the amount of time exactly, but it was around 2,000 hours of lost time. It was to the point that on some projects they have banned personal cell phones on the jobsite. They have it setup know where each contractor (HVAC, Plumbing, Electric, General Contractor) on the job will have a main phone that the superintendent will hold for someone to call, then go and get the specific individual that is needed.

One job we had, we had 8 employees working for us there, and I ended up banning personal cell phones from this job. When I walk / sneak on a job and I see 4 out of 8 messing with the phones then it's time they go. I don't pay you to fuck around with angry birds. You can mess with them during your break, and during lunch.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:22 PM   #135
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Ironic, given the number of people posting on this board during their work day. Yourself included, no?

fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:23 PM   #136
Hydrant
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 2003 Suzuki TL1000R, 2002 Honda CBR 600 F4i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Ironic, given the number of people posting on this board during their work day. Yourself included, no?

My last name is on the checks, I think I have the right.

Plus my day is about over. At the shop at 6:30 am, usually leave the jobsite by 3:30, back to the shop for an hour, and home by 4:30.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:25 PM   #137
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post

me included, internet should be banned, lol.

Given the coffee/smoke/personal phone call breaks everyone else takes, I take mine in TWFix breaks. LOL
Old 05-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #138
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydrant View Post
My last name is on the checks, I think I have the right.

Plus my day is about over. At the shop at 6:30 am, usually leave the jobsite by 3:30, back to the shop for an hour, and home by 4:30.
Absolutely.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:45 PM   #139
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
me included, internet should be banned, lol.

Given the coffee/smoke/personal phone call breaks everyone else takes, I take mine in TWFix breaks. LOL
What he said. My job is of the kind I can surf the web all day and still do my job. I have to wait on other people all day long in front of me, so while they fart around, I post.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:59 PM   #140
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
What he said. My job is of the kind I can surf the web all day and still do my job. I have to wait on other people all day long in front of me, so while they fart around, I post.
I have dual monitors and have a lot of free time while our POS applications load and do whatever the hell they do when we need something and they are "thinking."

If any of ya'll companies say they are going over to the Citrix/Maximo Enterprise System, tell them to go fuck themselves and quit immediately.