Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #11
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLIT View Post
I wish I had the money to buy/collect nice watches. The wife and I bought eachother watches for our 1st wedding anny. I got a real nice Citizen and she got a real nice Bulova.

http://www.citizenwatch.com/COA/Engl...ber=AV0031-59A

I can't find a link to hers.

Ha,we're cousins! Mine and my ex's...can you tell I'm hard on shit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00378.JPG (175.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg bitch watch.jpg (13.0 KB, 73 views)
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #12
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondahugger View Post
I have a Movado, 2 Seikos, a Bulova Caravelle, a Citizen and a Wittnauer Laureate. Of all of them, I like my Wittnauer the best.
Yea,I have quite a few too including an OLD Wittnauer. Out of them all,I probably wear my pictured Citizen or my Diesel the most. I rarely wear my Movados,even though one is the stupid Fiero tungsten carbide that's supposedly so tough and the other is a Se.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:51 AM   #13
Hondahugger
Better Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Yea,I have quite a few too including an OLD Wittnauer. Out of them all,I probably wear my pictured Citizen or my Diesel the most. I rarely wear my Movados,even though one is the stupid Fiero tungsten carbide that's supposedly so tough and the other is a Se.
I think I like the Wittnauer the best because of the clasp. I love the side spring release.
Hondahugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:04 PM   #15
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

I'm a mechanical watch freak. ANYTHING you want to know about mechanical watches, and I'm your man.

Quartz watches are ok. They are accurate, inexpensive, and run forever. Movado uses Swiss quartz movements like many others. The movements are more than likely ETA.

There is nothing wrong with quartz, but I prefer mechanical movements. Once quartz movements die, the watch is done. You have to replace the movement if you can find a replacement movement.

With mechanical movements, they are servicable for a really long time. I have a 130 year old pocket watch that still works and can be serviced.

I also have a 1969 Breitling SuperOcean that I just had overhauled. You wouldn't be able to find a replacement for a quartz movement from 30 years ago.

You could find a really nice mechanical movement that would be heirloom quality for what you are looking at spending for the Movado. If you are looking for bling, that is fine. Bling has it's place.

I tend to look for long term quality.

To me it's the difference between a 1955 Chevy and a 2001 Honda Civic ricer. They may cost the same and the Civic may have lots of bling and features, but the Civic is basically disposable at the end.

If you are interested in the vintage heirloom quality market for the same price you are looking to spend on the Movado, I would be happy to help you look. I have found watches for several friends wanting to start a collection.

In the end, you will have watches that will grow in value over time. I bought my SuperOcean at a steal at $1,400. It now goes for over $4,000.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:17 PM   #16
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT BSTRD View Post
I'm a mechanical watch freak. ANYTHING you want to know about mechanical watches, and I'm your man.

Quartz watches are ok. They are accurate, inexpensive, and run forever. Movado uses Swiss quartz movements like many others. The movements are more than likely ETA.

There is nothing wrong with quartz, but I prefer mechanical movements. Once quartz movements die, the watch is done. You have to replace the movement if you can find a replacement movement.

With mechanical movements, they are servicable for a really long time. I have a 130 year old pocket watch that still works and can be serviced.

I also have a 1969 Breitling SuperOcean that I just had overhauled. You wouldn't be able to find a replacement for a quartz movement from 30 years ago.

You could find a really nice mechanical movement that would be heirloom quality for what you are looking at spending for the Movado. If you are looking for bling, that is fine. Bling has it's place.

I tend to look for long term quality.

To me it's the difference between a 1955 Chevy and a 2001 Honda Civic ricer. They may cost the same and the Civic may have lots of bling and features, but the Civic is basically disposable at the end.

If you are interested in the vintage heirloom quality market for the same price you are looking to spend on the Movado, I would be happy to help you look. I have found watches for several friends wanting to start a collection.

In the end, you will have watches that will grow in value over time. I bought my SuperOcean at a steal at $1,400. It now goes for over $4,000.
Thanks man! To be honest....I'm going for bling! I don't have any kids and I don't plan on living past next year,much less for 130 years! My Grand pa had a bunch of watches he got in Europe during WWI and my Dad had a few from when he was in the service (that's how I got the Wittnauer btw). Which is also what stated me collecting them. I imagine it's the same now,a guy would come by base every payday selling watches,jackets,jewelery,etc.
Old 11-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #17
FT BSTRD
Tractor Driver

Moto: Buell XB12X Ulysses

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Thanks man! To be honest....I'm going for bling! I don't have any kids and I don't plan on living past next year,much less for 130 years! My Grand pa had a bunch of watches he got in Europe during WWI and my Dad had a few from when he was in the service (that's how I got the Wittnauer btw). Which is also what stated me collecting them. I imagine it's the same now,a guy would come by base every payday selling watches,jackets,jewelery,etc.

Understand completely. You can have both depending on how much bling you are looking for.

Here's a great example of an Omega:

$750

A Longines in 14K Gold:

A Paul Le Grande:

$1,050

Another Omega:

$950

Movado:

$495

Omega:

$695

Ulysse Nardin in 14K Gold:

$875

Just some ideas.

--Erik Buell

FT BSTRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:02 PM   #18
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Yo where the ice at dog? Yep those are a bit conservative for me...Heck,I already have two Movados that are as boring as those watches (no offense),besides I'm not a huge fan of leather straps. If I get a chance,I'll grab my old Wittnauer out the safety deposit box (it's the only thing I have from my Dad) and take a pic. Maybe,you'll find it interesting. Oh here's a sample of the watches I have,there's about 20 more here and a bunch in the sdb...Man,I think I need help!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00382.jpg (213.4 KB, 65 views)

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 11-28-2008 at 01:10 PM..
Old 11-28-2008, 01:22 PM   #19
jgalt
Canyon Carver

Oh boy. Just what I need another expensive hobby/Obsession!
jgalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #20
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

ALRIGHT! I found my new watch! Drum roll please...

Ta da! and for only $21!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 96.jpg (48.9 KB, 61 views)