Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > In the Garage or Shop > Riding Gear

Old 11-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #11
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Will always wear a helmet.

Going to mandate a helmet law? Then make it full face or nothing.
Half helmet wearers only get half the discount since only half their head is protected. I'm not interested in paying for cosmetic surgery to replace your chin.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
CasterTroy

I went without a helmet for bike week

We were 1 mile from main street and we didn't ride over 20 mph

But when we went anywhere other than main street, or to Ormond beach we wore them

I'd never do it anywhere else
Old 11-21-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I trust insurance companies as far as I can comfortably spit a rat, which is to say, not very far.

However, I do not believe in mandatory helmet, or seat belt laws, for anyone over he age of 21. It's your head, do with it what you will. If you've come to the conclusion that you're invincible, go for it.

Insurance companies charge higher premiums for young drivers, old drivers, smokers, and other "high risk" groups. I don't agree with all of their reasoning, but if you're not smart enough to wear a helmet, that's on you.

In short, I believe in charging people based on their own decisions.

JC

This.

I wear a helmet 100% of the time I am on a bike, as do all my passengers. That will always be so, helmet law or no helmet law.

Still, I do so because I choose to, not because the government tells me to. I strongly oppose helmet laws, seatbelt laws, and all other nanny state "this is for your own protetion" laws.
Old 11-21-2009, 09:47 AM   #14
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
I trust insurance companies as far as I can comfortably spit a rat, which is to say, not very far.

However, I do not believe in mandatory helmet, or seat belt laws, for anyone over he age of 21. It's your head, do with it what you will. If you've come to the conclusion that you're invincible, go for it.

Insurance companies charge higher premiums for young drivers, old drivers, smokers, and other "high risk" groups. I don't agree with all of their reasoning, but if you're not smart enough to wear a helmet, that's on you.

JC

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 AM   #15
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:

JC
I agree... HOWEVER... we have to remember that driving/riding is a privilege and not a right, and as such... they have the right to tell us what is required to exercise that privilege.

same as requirements to meet emissions, have headlights, safety glass, and mirrors.

I'd raise your age to about 25 though. I deal with 18-30 year olds (mostly 18-25y/o) daily... and the difference between a 18y/o and a 22y/o in case of maturity isn't much. >25 still have their idiots... but seems to drop off significantly IMO.

just my
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I dont believe in mandatory helmet laws, but I dont leave the house without mine.

As far as insurance is concerned, if someone agrees to wear a helmet and doesnt and is hurt, I think they should deny coverage. They broke the agreement to ride safely in exchange for that discount, they obviously dont care to keep their insurance.

The military is big on that one, get busted in non approved gear or lack thereof, including helmet, they refuse to pay and may terminate you. Kid back in Florida thought he was a stunna, cracked his head on the curb, military did both. Kicked him out and left him to pay all his medical bills.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #17
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I dont believe in mandatory helmet laws, but I dont leave the house without mine.

As far as insurance is concerned, if someone agrees to wear a helmet and doesnt and is hurt, I think they should deny coverage. They broke the agreement to ride safely in exchange for that discount, they obviously dont care to keep their insurance.

The military is big on that one, get busted in non approved gear or lack thereof, including helmet, they refuse to pay and may terminate you. Kid back in Florida thought he was a stunna, cracked his head on the curb, military did both. Kicked him out and left him to pay all his medical bills
not only that... if you pass... they can deny your death benefits... ie no SGLI passed on to your kids/spouse, no GI Bill passed on, medical bills not paid, not allowed to be burred in Arlington, ect.

and that can be for something as simple as not wearing reflective material at all times... (since changed to reflective at night, brightly colored in daylight)
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #18
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I wore one when I rode with Dad because I was <18. Once 18 I never wore one, until I met Erik. He wouldn't let me ride without one so I had to go buy, not I don't go without. If I am at the track and going to tech or something, then I don't wear it and it feels weird as hell. Kind of like not wearing ming my seat belt in the car, just missing something.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #19
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by eBBs15 View Post
not only that... if you pass... they can deny your death benefits... ie no SGLI passed on to your kids/spouse, no GI Bill passed on, medical bills not paid, not allowed to be burred in Arlington, ect.

and that can be for something as simple as not wearing reflective material at all times... (since changed to reflective at night, brightly colored in daylight)
Ah, and it differs for each base I guess too. Those rules were what I was familiar with, but Moody just made it a requirement that you must wear a gay reflective vest AT ALL TIMES when you are on base (I think off too).
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #20
was92v
Nowhere Man

Helmet Laws Suck!
But I won't ride without one. When I ride in states without a helmet law, I still wear mine and all my gear, but that is my choice.
I like the freedom to choose, but I've landed on my head enough to
know which choice is right for me. I would be a different person today if I had not been wearing a helmet on several occasions in the past...
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote