Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 09-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Bought shares of a natural gas ETF a few months ago when it bottomed out..... Recovering now, should keep going as the NG over-supply is dealt with.
Which ETF?

I've got a great article on the natural gas situation. Basically, the lower prices are going to drive a lot of companies out of business but those that survive will make a killing once it finally catches on.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #12
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
Which ETF?

I've got a great article on the natural gas situation. Basically, the lower prices are going to drive a lot of companies out of business but those that survive will make a killing once it finally catches on.
FCG...it's just NG company stocks, not a futures play like UNG.......I already have a commodity futures fund that includes natural gas, so I was hesitant to buy another

Was tempted to buy Chesepeake as well, but had a hard time figuring out its situation

Last edited by Homeslice; 09-14-2012 at 11:27 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Would be interesting to see how this progresses green tech though. Maybe funneling more money to it, which would be really interesting to me for career possibilities in the future.
That's all it's ever really needed... for people to quit treating it like a "maybe someday" and start actually pushing for viable large scale applications.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:01 PM   #14
CasterTroy

Interesting

Article here

Quote:
Nuclear fusion nears efficiency break-even
Posted on September 18, 2012 - 06:07 by Kate Taylor

Nuclear fusion is very close to the point where the amount of energy produced by the system equals or surpasses what's been put in.

Sandia scientists say that magnetically imploded tubes called liners, intended to help produce controlled nuclear fusion at scientific "breakeven energies or better, have functioned successfully in preliminary tests.

It's a key test of a concept called Magnetized Liner Inertial Fusion (MagLIF),based on magnetic fields and laser pre-heating.

In the dry-run experiments, cylindrical beryllium liners remained reasonably intact as they were imploded by the huge magnetic field of Sandia's Z machine, the world's most powerful pulsed-power accelerator.

This means they were capable of combining nuclear fuels - deuterium and possibly tritium - to the point of fusing them. Sandia researchers expect to add deuterium in experiments scheduled for 2013.

"The experimental results - the degree to which the imploding liner maintained its cylindrical integrity throughout its implosion - were consistent with results from earlier Sandia computer simulations," says lead researcher Ryan McBride."These predicted MagLIF will exceed scientific break-even."

Simulations have shown that an accelerator generating 60 million amperes or more could reach high-gain fusion conditions, where the fusion energy released exceeds the energy supplied to the fuel by more than 1,000 times.

The liner is intended to contain fusion fuel and push it together in nanoseconds. However, the metallic liner doing the compressing is also being eaten away as it conducts the Z machine's enormous electrical current along its outer surface. It begins to vaporize and turn into plasma, in much the same way as a car fuse vaporizes when a short circuit sends too much current through it.

"The question is, can we start off with a thick enough tube such that we can complete the implosion and burn the fusion fuel before the instability eats its way completely through the liner wall?" says McBride.

While a thicker tube would be more robust, the implosion would be less efficient because Z would have to accelerate more liner mass. A thinner tube could be accelerated to a much higher implosion velocity, but then the instability would rip the liner to shreds.

"Our experiments were designed to test a sweet spot predicted by the simulations where a sufficiently robust liner could implode with a sufficiently high velocity," says Mcbride.

Next year, the team plans to take the next step of integrating in the new magnetic field and laser preheat capabilities that will be required to test the full concept.

"This work is one more step on a long path to possible energy applications," adds Sandia senior manager Mark Herrmann.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #15
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by from article
"The experimental results - the degree to which the imploding liner maintained its cylindrical integrity throughout its implosion - were consistent with results from earlier Sandia computer simulations," says lead researcher Ryan McBride."These predicted MagLIF will exceed scientific break-even."

Simulations have shown that an accelerator generating 60 million amperes or more could reach high-gain fusion conditions, where the fusion energy released exceeds the energy supplied to the fuel by more than 1,000 times.
Weird wording there. I haven't delt much with nuclear chemistry but in this universe at below the speed of light you can't produce more energy than fuel is put in. Along with the "scientific break even". Sounds like interesting and good work but why glamour it up? It's like a politician who also happened to be a suepr genious mad physicist wrote the article up.