Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 02-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
Yes they could have given more info, and it would have been nice to see pics of the other tires since they showed pics of the van.

Tires that are 4 years old should fine for a trip.

James
4 year old tires should be fine, but that is my primary problem with the story. The tires were 4 years old when sold. At the time of the accident they were 9 years old. How many miles did they accrue over the 5 years they were on the van and what condition were they in at the time of the accident? That they never mentioned either in the story leads me to believe that, at best, those two facts didn't support the narrative they were trying to sell.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
4 year old tires should be fine, but that is my primary problem with the story. The tires were 4 years old when sold. At the time of the accident they were 9 years old. How many miles did they accrue over the 5 years they were on the van and what condition were they in at the time of the accident? That they never mentioned either in the story leads me to believe that, at best, those two facts didn't support the narrative they were trying to sell.

Exactly...I'm betting the tires were dry rotted and the tread was worn out.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:58 AM   #13
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Exactly...I'm betting the tires were dry rotted and the tread was worn out.
But that is part of the story. In most cases a 4 year old tire isn't going to dry rot IMO. But let it sit for 4 years before installing them on your car.

Did anyone go check the date of their tires because of this story?

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:04 AM   #14
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Yeah I understand the the issue. I believe the story, I think they did a poor job in telling it but I believe it.

I didn't like how they kept talking about how they were selling the tires as new. They are new tires. They are not used. They are new tires. Just think of the garages that had tires for a long time and would also leave them sitting outside all day in the sun.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 02-10-2010, 02:10 AM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

If anything, 4 years of age on the car is worse than 4 years of age sitting around in the store. So I'm not sure I understand what is so bad about a store doing that.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:21 AM   #16
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Auto Tires sitting unmounted in a dry cool place will save along time. Take that tire off the rack, mount it, run it 2000 miles and then store it and its gonna dry rot faster than if it was heat cycling on the car everyday.

Motorcycles are light and depend on that inch and a half or less contact patch to be fresh and sticky. Auto tires with 4000 lbs of car pressing its tread into the pavement are not so heat and compound dependant.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #17
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
If anything, 4 years of age on the car is worse than 4 years of age sitting around in the store. So I'm not sure I understand what is so bad about a store doing that.
it adds drama to the story.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #18
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Tires can get old well before the tread is gone. And if a tire is four years old before you buy it how do you know it has been stored in a cool dry place?

James
Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #19
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Buyer beware. Look out for bargains and always buy from a trusted source. The general public have no clue how their cars work or what requirements they have as far as maintenance. Cant fix ignorance or legislate away the dangers...

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #20
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
Tires can get old well before the tread is gone. And if a tire is four years old before you buy it how do you know it has been stored in a cool dry place?

James
Well what if it's mounted on a car, and he keeps his car parked outdoors all the time? I'm not seeing the difference.

It sounds like you guys are blaming retailers for selling old tires.....What do you expect them to do, throw them out after a couple years and take a loss?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote