Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-13-2011, 08:59 PM   #11
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

I've also felt like TV is a black hole and have been thinking more and more about ditching TV altogether when my contract with Dish expires. I've already made a decision not to let any "new" shows into my viewing habits to help prepare me for the cut.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #12
tallywacker
Virtual Machine

Moto: 2010 Ducati Hypermotard

The how to live like a bum your whole life story. Wonderful

People like him didn't build the space shuttle, didn't walk on the moon, didn't invent the telephone, didn't create the internet, didn't build the first car, didn't design the gasoline engine, etc....

Sure we all could go back to being nomads and living in caves, but who really wants to?
Old 07-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #13
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallywacker View Post

People like him didn't build the space shuttle, didn't walk on the moon, didn't invent the telephone, didn't create the internet, didn't build the first car, didn't design the gasoline engine, etc....

Sure we all could go back to being nomads and living in caves, but who really wants to?
ok... I get what your saying... but honestly... has any of those truly enriched your life? I don't mean convenience, I mean increased the quality of.

I'm not discounting the feat of those creations and discoveries... I'm just saying that for some, life is about more than possessions, and material goods.

it's about opening your mind and self discovery.

Quote:
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
- Mark Twain
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #14
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:

I don't think it's so much about "how to live like a bum," but more about seeing the things that really matter in life, such as personal relationships and opening your mind to more possibilities. This world needs all kinds of people. Extreme goal oriented people need others to show them that life is about relaxing and enjoying it a bit more. People who relax too much need others to show them how to set goals a bit more. Life is about balance. Too much of any one thing is bad for you. Besides, how do you know this guy hasn't helped a multitude of people, in some way or another? Just because he didn't build the space shuttle or invent something, that doesn't mean he hasn't served a purpose in life.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
I'm not exactly wanting to live in a cave, but a tent with a small matress and a pillow would be nice. I am personally never going to fly into space or cure disease or anything like that, but a worthwhile goal would definately be to experience the world, try new things see new sights, eat new foods and meet new people.

Is it selfish? You-betcha it is but its my goal
Old 07-14-2011, 08:24 AM   #16
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Stupid hippie.
I'm glad I'm not the only one... though I'd guess you're joking...

I read it... twice... the 2nd time was in an attempt to find the part(s) that the first few people in this thread were circle jerking about... Both times I found it completely uninsightful and lame. I guess I was looking for something that would actually make me think or teach me shit I don't already know.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:53 AM   #17
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Great find; I enjoyed reading his take on life.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:57 AM   #18
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
I'm glad I'm not the only one... though I'd guess you're joking...

I read it... twice... the 2nd time was in an attempt to find the part(s) that the first few people in this thread were circle jerking about... Both times I found it completely uninsightful and lame. I guess I was looking for something that would actually make me think or teach me shit I don't already know.
It is yes and no on the kidding. While his article is "something to think about" it isn't particularly deep. I'm not going to get all worked up over "foreign people are fundamentally just like you and me" and "too much TV watching is a waste". My guess is for a lot of people his words carry more weight because on some level they wish they could live their lives like he does. I don't.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #19
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
I'm not exactly wanting to live in a cave, but a tent with a small matress and a pillow would be nice. I am personally never going to fly into space or cure disease or anything like that, but a worthwhile goal would definately be to experience the world, try new things see new sights, eat new foods and meet new people.

Is it selfish? You-betcha it is but its my goal
My take is its all about balanceyou have guys like this who dont realy contribute much to th egreater good but feels fulfille dand has seen a lot of things. Then you get the person who dedicates their life towards science or technology. Guy may have cured cancer but is a socail retard and probably hasnt seen much of anything outside of his lab.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #20
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
It is yes and no on the kidding. While his article is "something to think about" it isn't particularly deep. I'm not going to get all worked up over "foreign people are fundamentally just like you and me" and "too much TV watching is a waste". My guess is for a lot of people his words carry more weight because on some level they wish they could live their lives like he does. I don't.
Agreed 100%.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote