Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-06-2012, 03:34 PM   #11
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
They at least allow you to fight back in the event it's needed. How many people in Colorado thought they were going to get shot in a movie theater? How many people in the internet cafe in Florida thought the place was going to get robbed at gunpoint while they were there? Did the two people who were shot by a pissed off neighbor in their RV park expect to get shot that day because their dogs had shit in the wrong guys lawn?

Which is my whole thought process on this question. I don't want to be paranoid and feel like I NEED a gun on me at all times, but I also don't want to be caught without it in the event I MIGHT need it someday. Frankly, I hope I go my entire life and never need the gun, but there is no way to be certain.
What are the odds of any of that happenning to you? Extremely unlikely. And if it does happen what are the chances that you are close enough to stop the attacker but not so close that you get shot before you can react? I dont see any reason to carry at all times unless you feel like you will be needing it sooner or later and for most people thats nothing but fear and paranoia. A guy got struck by lightning at a NASCAR race this weekend, should he have been carrying a Faraday cage just in case?

I dont own a gun and I have never felt like I needed one so maybe I dont understand.

EDIT: KSGregman bear me to it.

Last edited by EpyonXero; 08-06-2012 at 03:36 PM..
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
What are the odds of any of that happenning to you? Extremely unlikely. And if it does happen what are the chances that you are close enough to stop the attacker but not so close that you get shot before you can react? I dont see any reason to carry at all times unless you feel like you will be needing it sooner or later and for most people thats nothing but fear and paranoia. A guy got struck by lightning at a NASCAR race this weekend, should he have been carrying a Faraday cage just in case?

I dont own a gun and I have never felt like I needed one so maybe I dont understand.
Surprise, surpise...
The 7'9" black man feels safe where ever he goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:43 PM   #13
udman
You are not the Man!!

Moto: Hawk GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Surprise, surpise...
Old 08-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #14
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Old 08-06-2012, 03:52 PM   #15
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Surprise, surpise...
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
It's too late for that, apparently.

Do you create this much stress for yourself each time you ride? You know this COULD be the ride that kills you. Or leaving your house if storms are in the forecast...you MIGHT get struck by lightning....do you think those people at Pocono expected to get struck by lightning?

You could wrap yourself around the "maybe, could of, it just might" axle over a lot of shit.

Buy WHY?
I wear a helmet, jacket, gloves and normally overpants when I ride to give myself some protection in an accident. Does that mean I'm paranoid about riding? Even with all of that on, I could still die in a motorcycle accident. Are you saying I should just wear shorts and flip-flops when riding in the summer heat, rather than worrying about some form of protection so I don't appear paranoid?
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #17
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
I wear a helmet, jacket, gloves and normally overpants when I ride to give myself some protection in an accident. Does that mean I'm paranoid about riding? Even with all of that on, I could still die in a motorcycle accident. Are you saying I should just wear shorts and flip-flops when riding in the summer heat, rather than worrying about some form of protection so I don't appear paranoid?
I'm saying that we all accept risks every time we leave our home....driving or riding to work...hell, stepping outside....a lady got swallowed by a sink hole recently....risks that aren't going to be effectively mitigated by adding another gun to a situation that already has one gun too many.

This "I better have a gun when I walk from room to room in my own home"....or "every time I leave my home" shit is stupid....paranoid.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #18
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
I'm saying that we all accept risks every time we leave our home....driving or riding to work...hell, stepping outside....a lady got swallowed by a sink hole recently....risks that aren't going to be effectively mitigated by adding another gun to a situation that already has one gun too many.

This "I better have a gun when I walk from room to room in my own home"....or "every time I leave my home" shit is stupid....paranoid.
All that's well and good, until it isn't. Then what? Accept your fate and eat a bullet like everyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgrIsuO5PLc

Capt isn't asking about quick draw holsters or body armor or anything like that. He's simply asking people who do carry, to share some of their experiences. You guys are acting like it's something well beyond this... I too, have never felt 'unsafe' when out and about... I'm pretty sure everyone does for the most part, until something happens.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:39 PM   #19
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

It's either on the bike or in the truck.

I rarely carry on person, unless I'm going to do something stupid, like walk around Detroit at night.

JC
Old 08-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #20
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
If and when I ever get a CCW permit, the risks that my family or I will be stabbed to death will be pretty well mitigated while I'm carrying a firearm.

Sure, there are no guarantees. But like you say, we all accept risks.

If adding another gun to a situation is inherently bad, should we disarm all policemen? They're just as likely to miss in a chaotic situation, but even more likely to pull the trigger.

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Last edited by fatbuckRTO; 08-06-2012 at 04:43 PM..
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote