Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 02-20-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

If it's coming up and saying something like AV2009 and you aren't a PC tech, then you're essentially hosed. Back up your data and reinstall Windows. Trust me; my last 20 service calls have been viruses. You don't have the tools for this one.

*EDIT* Flexin reminded me of something. The latest infections of this virus have been calling themselves AV360. Same shit, different pile. It all links back to an IP address in the Ukraine.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 02-20-2009 at 03:48 PM..
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

Mine wont even let me get to the internet. The only thing thats popping up is a little thing on the task bar that says its infected and to click the bubble to fix it. When I click on it, nothing happens though. And the bubble is from Spyware 2009 or something along those lines, which I never installed anything by that name.

How tough is uninstalling windows? Im very limited in my knowledge of computers. Id assume its pretty straight forward but Ive never had to do it before. And I dont have a whole lot that Im worried about losing so thats not a big issue.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:28 PM   #13
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoYZF View Post
Mine wont even let me get to the internet. The only thing thats popping up is a little thing on the task bar that says its infected and to click the bubble to fix it. When I click on it, nothing happens though. And the bubble is from Spyware 2009 or something along those lines, which I never installed anything by that name.

How tough is uninstalling windows? Im very limited in my knowledge of computers. Id assume its pretty straight forward but Ive never had to do it before. And I dont have a whole lot that Im worried about losing so thats not a big issue.
THAT IS A VIRUS! Dont ever click into that program. It is made to look like a real program and gives you a fake number of virus' that are on your computer. It'll just keep making it worse.

I had the same thing about 5 months ago. Somehow something turned my firewall off.... and the floodgates opened. Shit started going down, and i was barely able to get on the internet. And it gave me that fake Spyware 2009.

Somehow get AVG 8.0 onto a jumpdrive and install it. That will put your shit into lockdown..... and then you can install Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy to clean everything up. The new AVG 8 is amazing! Use the computer you are on to put the AVG Runfile onto a USB drive and transfer over to your computer in safe mode. Good luck.... i saved mine just in time....
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold

Last edited by Porkchop; 02-20-2009 at 07:31 PM..
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #14
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post
THAT IS A VIRUS! Dont ever click into that program. It is made to look like a real program and gives you a fake number of virus' that are on your computer. It'll just keep making it worse.

I had the same thing about 5 months ago. Somehow something turned my firewall off.... and the floodgates opened. Shit started going down, and i was barely able to get on the internet. And it gave me that fake Spyware 2009.

Somehow get AVG 8.0 onto a jumpdrive and install it. That will put your shit into lockdown..... and then you can install Ad-aware and Spybot Search & Destroy to clean everything up. The new AVG 8 is amazing! Use the computer you are on to put the AVG Runfile onto a USB drive and transfer over to your computer in safe mode. Good luck.... i saved mine just in time....
I was figuring that was the virus. Ill give the avg a shot tonight, if not my buddy said hes going to reformat my comp tomorrow. We'll see what happens.

Sorry I missed your call, my phone is about dead right now, but thanks for the suggestions.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:51 PM   #15
HRCNICK11
Canyon Carver

Yeah my kid did the same shit. Tried to fix a virus he did not have and fubar the PC. I restarted in safe mode and reinstalled a backed up known good copy.
HRCNICK11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:59 AM   #16
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

If you can find a memory key with a write protect switch on it, use that. One of the latest and worst infections that we've been fighting migrates by writing an autorun onto a memory key, infecting the hard drive with it, then transferring to any other removable media that gets inserted into the PC. I had 8 PCs infected in one office with this crap and ended up reinstalling WinXP on all of them, because I couldn't be sure that they were cleaned.

When I was putting the final system back in place, someone walked in and reinfected the first system, so I had to reinstall it AGAIN.

There is some seriously nasty shit going on right now.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:06 AM   #17
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

I typically recommend that people keep their important files backed up to some separate piece of hardware, like an external hard drive. If you keep your stuff backed up, it's a hell of a lot faster and certainly less frustrating to just format your HD and restore everything, rather than attempting to clean a virus/malware off of your machine.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:35 AM   #18
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Boot into safe mode, copy any files you need, then format and install a fresh copy of windows.
This is what I was thinking, but if you aren't sure... then wait for your friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchop View Post

This happened to Erik on his desktop a while back. I kept ignoring the popups and got AVG installed and kind of cleaned up. He ended up taking it to the local computer store and they cleaned it up better for him.

Hope you got it fixed!
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:11 AM   #19
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

#1.

Run a decent AV on your system. Keep it up to date (duh). Like it was posted earlier, AVG (http://www.grisoft.com is a good one, and so is Avast (as noted in an earlier post).

#2.

Do your fucking operating system updates....

#3.

If you're going to do go do that bullshit and search for songs and stuff to save a few bucks... at least be smart about it. Run a virtual machine, that way the VM gets hosed and it's easy to just restore (http://www.vmware.com) It's free, and since you are obviously not wanting to pay for stuff, free seems to be a good word for you.

#4.

Probably one of the more solid pieces of advice was mentioned earlier by JTEMPLE. Place most of your sensitive data on a 2ndary partition (or better still, 2ndary drive)... Granted, that doesn't protect you from physical issues (ie, HDD crapping out) but it's a more limited risk than you getting infected or corrupting your OS and you dont' know how to get it all back it makes it easier to keep/retrieve your sensitive data.

#5.

You're a douche.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:51 PM   #20
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post

#5.

You're a douche.
And go fuck yourself, thanks for your input.

My buddy just reformatted it and its back to normal. Thanks everyone.