Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #11
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

We implemented this in a few of our Millwork shops at our company last year...I didn't know anything about it until then. Great concept and I can see the benefit but our company found the return was not showing up enough on the P&L to justify continuing it.
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

It's funny because I work across the road from the Toyota plant...and that's all I'm reading about right now.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:24 PM   #13
Rider
Moto GP Star

Constant process improvement. I personally think it's a waste of time. They spend more time on the training and implementing new processes, that your overall labor costs remain about the same. I know a lot of companies base their decisions on who to use as a supplier simply because they are Lean or Six Sigma certified. It's bullshit. Of course if I told my department manager that he'd quickly show me to the nearest exit.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:36 PM   #14
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
They spend more time on the training and implementing new processes,
They're not doing it right if this is the result.

You gotta admit....Toyota was onto something.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:37 PM   #15
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Please explain

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:58 PM   #16
skiergirl
Gixxer Girl

Moto: 05 GSXR 750 & 06 YZ250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Constant process improvement. I personally think it's a waste of time. They spend more time on the training and implementing new processes, that your overall labor costs remain about the same.
That is the main reason the bean-counters decided to pull the group off of this project. It certainly can be beneficial but you do have to put a lot of man-hours into meetings, implementing, creating reporting of some kind to measure it's effectiveness, etc. The basic principles of it really should be common sense to running any profitable business. When you being spending too much money analyzing and creating ways to be more efficient you end up being counter-productive to the goal.

Last edited by skiergirl; 06-11-2009 at 04:39 PM..
skiergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:47 PM   #17
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Yeah we just went through a corporate wide Lean initiative in October/November of last year, and we've had several Kaizen events (though I went through a weeklong class to learn about the principles, I've not yet been on any of teams doing the events).
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:54 PM   #18
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

We practice Lean, Kaizen, 5s, Six Sigma, and anything of the others were I work. It is something we have done for probably... 7 years or so.

It is amazing at what I think is commonplace (not sure that is the right word) only to find out it is relatively new to most companies.

We spend a lot of time trying to implement new things, but I think that some of the improvements are well worth it. Personally we spent more time moving machines around for this reason or that, mostly not related to Lean/Kaizen but management changing their minds.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:35 AM   #19
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Saturn Corp. implemented this in 1990 on its Saturn line and for some reason Toyota gets the credit from theirr New United Motor Manufacturing Plant in 1998. Besides, Ford had this theory as with others long long ago. Toyota prolly just refined it.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:35 AM   #20
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Saturn Corp. implemented this in 1990 on its Saturn line and for some reason Toyota gets the credit from theirr New United Motor Manufacturing Plant in 1998. Besides, Ford had this theory as with others long long ago. Toyota prolly just refined it.
Actually, the LEAN book talks all about Ford. Toyota is the one that put a name on it and actually did something with it. Lean may have it's origins in Ford but you'd be hard pressed to sell ANYONE on the fact that they use it correctly.