Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 08-06-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
a friend of mine is working to get lane splitting legalized in TN. Not sure if I would participate but it would be nice to have the option.
I wish it was legal here. No I would not do it all of the time but I sure have seen a time or two that I would have.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:11 AM   #12
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

I might do it if the cages were stopped but not while those idiots are moving. phones/shaving/make up/oh yeah and steering and throttle input and then......you want to add a bike going between them and think they won't freak out and have a knee jerk (literally many times) reaction and swerve.

more guts then I got, but congrats on shorter drive times that's always nice. I usually just ride faster if I want a shorter commute.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #13
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

People don't get upset here, they move out of the way. Good on ya for splitting, it's safer than sitting at a stoplight with a target on your back.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
How does that work? Is the traffic stopped? Moving slowly bumper-to-bumper? Or speeding along? Even with traffic stopped, I don't think I could do that.
I do it when traffic is cruising but not totally at speed. Mostly, those times when, if I was in my car, I would be totally frustrated with the asshats driving too slow in the fast lane holding up traffic. I also pretty much take it one car at a time to make sure I have an out...and not so much when the cars are directly next to each other.

Seems like people are pretty cool about it. I do notice people shifting over a bit. Plus it probably helps that I am not passing them going 20+ over their speed, just cruising past.
Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #15
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Colleen View Post
I do it when traffic is cruising but not totally at speed. Mostly, those times when, if I was in my car, I would be totally frustrated with the asshats driving too slow in the fast lane holding up traffic. I also pretty much take it one car at a time to make sure I have an out...and not so much when the cars are directly next to each other.

Seems like people are pretty cool about it. I do notice people shifting over a bit. Plus it probably helps that I am not passing them going 20+ over their speed, just cruising past.
Right, I'm sure some jerkoff flying by at 90+ mph doesn't help the situation.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #16
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Does California still have the raised domes (Botts' Dots) as lane dividers? If so, can you avoid them when lane splitting, or are they no big deal when riding on them? They tried them in Denver, but the snowplows tore them up.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:53 PM   #17
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
True. It's illegal here so people tend to get more upset. I don't do it but like I said it's illigal here.

Maybe in Cali they are used to it and will not get all worked up about it...of course it only takes one though to ruin your day.
I have only had one guy try to kill me for it (intentionally). After splitting lanes at a red light i pull up next to a fine gentleman in a p.o.s. geo metro. The light turns green he speeds off into the slow lane and cuts in front of me and slams on the brakes. When i pulled up next to him after the ordeal (which was at the next light, i asked him, "What was that all about?". He then stated. " you cut me off so i returned the favor asshole. You got a fucking problem?" Due to my future occupation i decided it would be best to leave it alone. All in all here most people don't really care, just got to be smart and safe about it.

a friend of mine on an aprillia was splitting lanes when he got to the light it was red and while waiting for the light to turn green got his foot crushed by the car next to him turning the wheel. Didn't totally destroy his foot but fucked it up for a bit.

Yes cali has the dots they get annoying sometimes when your squeezing through traffic but most of the time no big deal.

Last edited by Antwanny; 08-10-2009 at 04:01 PM..
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #18
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwanny View Post
I have only had one guy try to kill me for it (intentionally). After splitting lanes at a red light i pull up next to a fine gentleman in a p.o.s. geo metro. The light turns green he speeds off into the slow lane and cuts in front of me and slams on the brakes. When i pulled up next to him after the ordeal (which was at the next light, i asked him, "What was that all about?". He then stated. " you cut me off so i returned the favor asshole. You got a fucking problem?" Due to my future occupation i decided it would be best to leave it alone. All in all here most people don't really care, just got to be smart and safe about it.

a friend of mine on an aprillia was splitting lanes when he got to the light it was red and while waiting for the light to turn green got his foot crushed by the car next to him turning the wheel. Didn't totally destroy his foot but fucked it up for a bit.

Yes cali has the dots they get annoying sometimes when your squeezing through traffic but most of the time no big deal.
thats when you say im sorry sir then bust his mirrorr off with your boot and beat a hasty retreat
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 05:09 PM   #19
t-homo
WSB Champion

I wish I could lane split.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:46 PM   #20
Mrs. Colleen
Leather and Lace

Moto: 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Does California still have the raised domes (Botts' Dots) as lane dividers? If so, can you avoid them when lane splitting, or are they no big deal when riding on them? They tried them in Denver, but the snowplows tore them up.
Yeah...the square ones...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ra...ent_marker.jpg

Never really thought too much about them. I spend as little time as possible in the direct middle of the lane.
Ms. Colleen still makes us all think back and wonder about our preschool teachers
Mrs. Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote