Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-07-2008, 01:14 AM   #21
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
gotcha, gamestop is probably your best bet then. avoid early models. you can easily tell them apart from newer ones cause they have a firewire port next to the two usb ports

bad

good

look at the blue square, 2 holes good 3 holes bad lol
Not necessarily... I've repaired about an equal amount of all of them, none seem to be particularly better or worse than the others. PS2 on it's side however, is generally bad. Door mechanisms and lasers were the primary points of failure on PS2's in general... those that lived on their sides seemed to have more issues than those that did not.

I don't know dick about the newest PS2 version, but the slimline was in general a POS... I gave up on trying to fix those... they were more cheaply build and everything from the housing to the laser mechanism were less robust than previous versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco View Post
here's a question. has anyone played left 4 dead yet?
I talked to a guy at GameStop the other day and he said it was amazing. I guess it's broken up into four different 'episodes'... multi-player is where it's at and single player in general sucks.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 03:51 AM   #22
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Not necessarily... I've repaired about an equal amount of all of them, none seem to be particularly better or worse than the others. PS2 on it's side however, is generally bad. Door mechanisms and lasers were the primary points of failure on PS2's in general... those that lived on their sides seemed to have more issues than those that did not.

I don't know dick about the newest PS2 version, but the slimline was in general a POS... I gave up on trying to fix those... they were more cheaply build and everything from the housing to the laser mechanism were less robust than previous versions.

I talked to a guy at GameStop the other day and he said it was amazing. I guess it's broken up into four different 'episodes'... multi-player is where it's at and single player in general sucks.

meh the version number is important but its alot easier to tell her to look for ports. i think my last one was a v7 and it never had issues. went to iraq twice!
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:38 PM   #23
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

I now have FF 7, 8, and 9. A friend let me buy them from him.

Now what I need is a PS2 Console. I was told by one person to get the slim line, not the original because it doesn't work as well. But another person told me that the original is just fine and the slim line can't get online.

Now I don't know which one to get. Ugh.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:09 PM   #24
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
I now have FF 7, 8, and 9. A friend let me buy them from him.

Now what I need is a PS2 Console. I was told by one person to get the slim line, not the original because it doesn't work as well. But another person told me that the original is just fine and the slim line can't get online.

Now I don't know which one to get. Ugh.
Ok here's the deal...

1) The Slimeline PS2 comes with the ethernet built in, so getting online is a matter of plugging the cord into the PS2 and the other end into your router/switch/hub/modem (whatever you use to break out your network).

2) Personally, I think the Slimline is more cheaply built. I've bounced regular PS2's off the concrete sidewalk (oops!) and they've been fine. I've seen Slimeline PS2's that were pulled off a TV onto a hardwood floor crack (but still function ok).

3) There's much debate over which is better, which is worse... Some folks claim over-heating issues and more laser issues with the Slimline... I've seen more lasers than anything. I think that's just because of the fact that the laser is exposed every time you open it up to access the disc.

4) If your son likes FF as much as it looks like, the fatty PS2 is probably better anyway. FFXI comes with a hard drive and is NOT compatible with the Slimline PS2 for that very reason. Slimline = no HDD. The downside is, you need to buy a network adapter (or wait 400 years for Drewpy to send you one)... They go on eBay for like $10-$15 shipped.

Plus, with the network adapter, you can hack the PS2 really, really easily using HD Advance and it allows you to put a huge HDD into the PS2 and pirate all sorts of games onto it (just borrow games and copy them to the HDD, then play until your thumbs fall off).
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 PM   #25
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Ok here's the deal...

1) The Slimeline PS2 comes with the ethernet built in, so getting online is a matter of plugging the cord into the PS2 and the other end into your router/switch/hub/modem (whatever you use to break out your network).

2) Personally, I think the Slimline is more cheaply built. I've bounced regular PS2's off the concrete sidewalk (oops!) and they've been fine. I've seen Slimeline PS2's that were pulled off a TV onto a hardwood floor crack (but still function ok).

3) There's much debate over which is better, which is worse... Some folks claim over-heating issues and more laser issues with the Slimline... I've seen more lasers than anything. I think that's just because of the fact that the laser is exposed every time you open it up to access the disc.

4) If your son likes FF as much as it looks like, the fatty PS2 is probably better anyway. FFXI comes with a hard drive and is NOT compatible with the Slimline PS2 for that very reason. Slimline = no HDD. The downside is, you need to buy a network adapter (or wait 400 years for Drewpy to send you one)... They go on eBay for like $10-$15 shipped.

Plus, with the network adapter, you can hack the PS2 really, really easily using HD Advance and it allows you to put a huge HDD into the PS2 and pirate all sorts of games onto it (just borrow games and copy them to the HDD, then play until your thumbs fall off).

Thanks! So I'll get the orginal.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Myspace
Old 12-07-2008, 03:37 PM   #26
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

or you can skip all of that and get him a 20 or 60 gig ps3 which will run everything with onboard equipment (IMPORTANT! newer ps3s will NOT play ps2. only 20 or 60)
TWF Post whore #6
Old 12-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #27
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
or you can skip all of that and get him a 20 or 60 gig ps3 which will run everything with onboard equipment (IMPORTANT! newer ps3s will NOT play ps2. only 20 or 60)
But do any of them play PS1? If not, then there's no point for her to drop a couple hundred bucks on a console that won't play FF7, 8, or 9.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 04:58 PM   #28
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

all ps3 varients play ps1 through software emulation
TWF Post whore #6
Old 12-07-2008, 09:35 PM   #29
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Gamestop in some places keep some older games in stock. And you can pick up a PS One for nothin' in some of them.

As for Diablo III - I haven't seen any pre-order sites yet.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:04 AM   #30
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

I picked up a nice used PS2 with 7 games & 3 controllers, plus standard accessories for $60. I know 4 of the games they'll play...I'm not sure about the other 3. But that's extra presents too. Bonus!

Quote:
Myspace