Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #21
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Everyone should be a server in a busy place at least once in their life.
I did. I was aweful at it. I am not good at faking a smile. If someone treats me like a lower form of human life because I am the one refilling their sweet tea at Cracker Barrell I will treat them like shit. I never spit in anyones food or dumb shit like that because I wanted them to know I was treating them like shit. None of that passive agressive nonsense.

Oh you wanted more gravy for your chicken fried steak? I'll think about it.

Again, I was AWEFUL at serving.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:09 AM   #22
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
I'd get fired after the first table for insulting the asswipe ordering their food.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:10 AM   #23
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I disagree. Being a lumber jack builds character.

Bringing me my food makes you subservient.

You walk back and forth to the kitchen and top up drinks.

If anybody thinks that is in any way a hard job, then you didn't have enough character building.
Serving in the military builds character, being a lumberjack builds a strong back.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 AM   #24
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Wife and I go to Applebees pretty often. We always sit at the bar. Have for years. We've become friends with the bar tenders and get excellent service. They know us by name, know what we drink and have it ready as soon as they see us walk in the door. I tip them extremely well and they take care of us the way ALL servers should take care of their customers.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:18 AM   #25
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Rider,

I've done both. I'd pick the military any day.

I've worked longer hours in the forces, but I've never worked as hard as I have when I did the lumberjack thing.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 AM   #26
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Rider,

I've done both. I'd pick the military any day.

I've worked longer hours in the forces, but I've never worked as hard as I have when I did the lumberjack thing.
That's why I said strong back. You don't have to have a physically demanding job to build character, you need discipline, teamwork, and a desire to do your best. You might get the from being a lumberjack though.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:31 AM   #27
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
I don't know about that. It's kind of like the self-service cashier stands that are popping up in all the stores now... I'm a BAD cashier. I wouldn't be able to get hired as a cashier because the damn scanner hates me and I have no patience for the public.

That said, I was a bartender, waitress, host, and manager. I think it has made me more critical on servers as I know what it takes to do the job and it ISN'T that difficult.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:48 AM   #28
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Ihat said, I was a bartender, waitress, host, and manager. I think it has made me more critical on servers as I know what it takes to do the job and it ISN'T that difficult.
Same here. I've been there and I know it isn't that difficult to do a good job.

I find a lot of servers treat it one of two ways. Either they see it as their own social playground with serving you coming in a distant second. Or they're a seasoned server (but crap at it) so assume they know what they're doing and refuse to change.

I want to invent the Tip-O-Meter. It'd be a machine that sat on the table in plain view of the server. I'll start your tip out at a modest 20%. Every little thing could make me either press a button to up that amount, or press a button to reduce that amount.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:53 AM   #29
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
Same here. I've been there and I know it isn't that difficult to do a good job.

I find a lot of servers treat it one of two ways. Either they see it as their own social playground with serving you coming in a distant second. Or they're a seasoned server (but crap at it) so assume they know what they're doing and refuse to change.

I want to invent the Tip-O-Meter. It'd be a machine that sat on the table in plain view of the server. I'll start your tip out at a modest 20%. Every little thing could make me either press a button to up that amount, or press a button to reduce that amount.
You have to work up to 20% not work down from 20%. I'd start them out at 10% and make them earn more.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:00 AM   #30
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
You have to work up to 20% not work down from 20%. I'd start them out at 10% and make them earn more.
And this is why I was so bad at waiting tables.

There are so many people that will tip like shit no matter what and there are people who tip well no matter what. For 95% of the population, they didn't rate me based on service. Some would however rate me on the tastiness of their food

Old people would come in there to have breakfast and tip an effing quarter every single day.

God I hated waiting tables!! May not have been hard for others, but I would literally have nightmares about it.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote