Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #21
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
Did they say they will stop you from owning it or even limit the amount you own? If not then only the price has changed (other then the fact that there would now be papr work that comes along with buying ammo).

James
The only thing this is going to do is keep track of the amount of ammo law abiding citizens buy. Criminals will either steal it or hand load their own. So then where is the benefit? None!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I though that he liked broadheads?
Both rifle and archery.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:44 PM   #22
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Did they say they will stop you from owning it or even limit the amount you own? If not then only the price has changed (other then the fact that there would now be papr work that comes along with buying ammo).

James
It's just the first step. Find out who owns what so that you know where you could possibly run into problems. Does the military go into someplace without having an idea what they're up against? Nope, they have recon and intel so they know how much resistance they can expect and this database would provide that intel.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #23
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Quote:
They know how many guns you have right? So why does it matter if they know about the amount of ammo you own?

James
Well, they really shouldn't know how many you have unless they're logging your NICS queries, which is illegal. There's no federal registration program (yet) so they actually aren't supposed to know how many guns you have. But the rounds going up in price, well, does it matter when gas goes up in price? I mean, you could have just rode the bus.

The point is that it's a back door way to make us get rid of guns. I keep several hundred rounds on hand because I buy it in increments between range days. It won't be long before they start limiting how much you can own, and before long we're right where we started, the government taking away guns.

ETA: Yay! It died in comitte in Mississippi! Flex, in Kentucky where I'm from the law states that anyone owning ammunition wihout such Identifying marks is guilty of a class A misdemeanor. Not a huge deal, except for me. I carry in Kentucky as my permit is honored there, but my ammunition could get me in trouble. Plus, since my permit is from a state that doesn't require ammunition registration I bet they stop honoring it. So there's another thing, the lessening of the reciprocity of my permit.

Last edited by Amorok; 12-03-2008 at 02:55 PM.. Reason: to add
Amorok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #24
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
They know how many guns you have right? So why does it matter if they know about the amount of ammo you own?

James
NOPE, if i buy from a private person they don't really have to keep records.

sold my last gun at the gun show w/o paperwork.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #25
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
Well, they really shouldn't know how many you have unless they're logging your NICS queries, which is illegal. There's no federal registration program (yet) so they actually aren't supposed to know how many guns you have. .
Why couldn't the feds just look at state registrations.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #26
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Yes they know, but we are free to fire off as many rounds as we want if we are target practicing or hunting or for any other reason. There is no limit on how much we shoot. Keeping tabs on the amount we buy doesn't mean anything. We could either be stockpiling it, or using it up. Why do they need to know how much we buy. What if I buy it for someone as a gift? What if all the ammo I bought was destroyed in a flood or house fire? The point it, there is no way to have accurate records of how much ammo anyone has in their possession. So then, what it the point? Adding a tax to cover the cost for tracking ammo sales for senseless reasons is ridiculous.
If it gets destroyed in a flood or fire there will be an insurance claim. They won't know how much you have used at the range or without making someone keep track.

The only reason I can think for doing this is crime. They could help track where bullets came from when they are used in a crime.

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #27
Amorok
Issukangitok

Because it's outside of their purview.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:59 PM   #28
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
The only reason I can think for doing this is crime. They could help track where bullets came from when they are used in a crime.

James
branch davidians......nuf said.

i've recently read of peeps buying 2500rd , 1 even claimed to have bought 15,000rds, think the gov't would be interested?

it's none of their business.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #29
Amorok
Issukangitok

Quote:

James
If I get shot on the street and die I'm not going to give a shit if they catch the guy. But if I can carry a gun and protect myself, I'll know who the guy is. He's the guy I watch the coroner wheel off before I go home to my family. Any curtailment of my rights is bad, and invading people's privacy isn't worth the possible benefits in a criminal case.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #30
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
It's just the first step. Find out who owns what so that you know where you could possibly run into problems. Does the military go into someplace without having an idea what they're up against? Nope, they have recon and intel so they know how much resistance they can expect and this database would provide that intel.
Do you plan on having a stand off with the goverment? If not then they won't need to do any recon on you. But if you act a fool I think the people that have to come drag you out and thier families would like to know what you are packing.

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote