Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #31
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

Um, hello, of course you need to come to Arizona!!! Duh!

We used to, as you know, live in Queen Creek. If you can give me more specifics then I can give you better advise. Queen Creek is pretty spread-out so the specific area will make a big difference in terms of how far you are from city center. I know that they have done a LOT of road expansion and put in a ton of shops since we moved from there.

Glendale is very hit or miss. Some areas of it are downright ghetto and you for sure don't want to live there. It too is pretty spread out, so, specifics will help.

Douglas is a tiny town that is not in the metro area. I'm not even sure how far it is from me.

Other cities to look into are Tempe (where ASU is) Gilbert, Chandler and Scottsdale.
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:22 PM   #32
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
Austin, TX FTW... I can't speak for what the teaching job market is here *now*.. but my mom worked as a high school teacher for a while. There's also positions at the community college if you want something temp until you find a permanent teaching position elsewhere.. and they're (both the community college and the regular school system) *always* looking for substitute teachers. The bonus, too, is that there are a lot of surrounding communities (Cedar Park, Leander, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Kyle, Buda, etc.) that have exploding populations, and as such brand new schools that are in need of teachers.
yup.

HUGE population explosion right now in my area. We just approved the new bond for a new high school - middle school and two new elementary schools. Construction just started... AND a new high school and middle school in the district just opened this year.

Though, for the single girl she is - I'd recommend living downtown. A backward commute (driving out when everyone is driving in) and living in the condo mecca that Austin is becoming...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:03 PM   #33
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
yup.

HUGE population explosion right now in my area. We just approved the new bond for a new high school - middle school and two new elementary schools. Construction just started... AND a new high school and middle school in the district just opened this year.

Though, for the single girl she is - I'd recommend living downtown. A backward commute (driving out when everyone is driving in) and living in the condo mecca that Austin is becoming...
Yup! And having 6th street within walking distance? Kell would be in heaven.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:07 PM   #34
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
Werd on H-Town.

only thing I gotta say is the drivers here f'king suck ballz (but not in the good way that Drewpy sucks ballz )

But otherwise it isnt' too bad. I wouldn't advise you coming down this way because most of the jobs here are either with NASA or the Gub-ment and with you being Kandian.... yeah that probably won't work out too well (my bad, assuming you are holding kanadian citizenship).

My 0.02$ (which is like probably ten bucks CAD, right? ) Check Texas as well, lots of good schools and the towns are awesome just stay away from Houston. I'd love to go back home to Texas.
Kell has experienced Toronto drivers. Think Los Angeles, but without the decaf.

The friend whose wedding I went to last month is Canadian. She has been down in 'Bama since 2002 and is now working for the gubmint; has been since prior to her marriage.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:38 PM   #35
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Kell has experienced Toronto drivers. Think Los Angeles, but without the decaf.

The friend whose wedding I went to last month is Canadian. She has been down in 'Bama since 2002 and is now working for the gubmint; has been since prior to her marriage.
Wow. quite suprising.

Yeah, i remember Toronto drivers. Was going thru on my wya back to the states from Trenton, two ricers come flying by..... about five minutes later i go rolling by a wing and bodyskirts of one w/ it then in a ditch type thingie...
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:44 PM   #36
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Air Force?
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #37
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Raleigh......good choice, progressive, growing
Greensboro.......sucks, boring, family town
Charlotte.......good, but Raleigh is better
Fayetteville........military town only......no other redeeming virtue
High Point........ghetto
Durham.......sister to Raleigh, but not as good

Arizona: too hot for my taste, not much in the way of arts/theatre/culture compared to say Chicago or SF, and too many retirees

Florida Lake district: What is that? Lakeland? Dunno about that, but avoid Orlando please....
Fort Lauderdale.....Too expensive, you'll be forced to live in the boring inland areas
Pensacola.......Better choice

Austin.......sure, if you can afford it.
Check into Portland OR.........cool, moderate cost city with good culture and recreation

Last edited by Homeslice; 12-15-2008 at 07:10 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:15 PM   #38
2up
Waiting for Hello Kitty!

Moto: Nothing ATM, which makes me want to cry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Raleigh......good choice, progressive, growing
Greensboro.......sucks, boring, family town
Charlotte.......good, but Raleigh is better
Fayetteville........military town only......no other redeeming virtue
High Point........ghetto
Durham.......sister to Raleigh, but not as good

Arizona: too hot for my taste, not much in the way of arts/theatre/culture compared to say Chicago or SF, and too many retirees

Florida Lake district: What is that? Lakeland? Dunno about that, but avoid Orlando please....
Fort Lauderdale.....Too expensive, you'll be forced to live in the boring inland areas
Pensacola.......Better choice

Austin.......sure, if you can afford it.
Check into Portland.........cool, moderate cost city with good culture
When was the last time you were in Arizona? Phoenix has grown up a lot in terms of arts and culture. And most places don't have much of that kind of stuff relative to Chicago or SF. That's like comparing NYC to Des Moines.

And yes, it gets hot here, but I lived in both North Carolina and in Florida and there is NO WAY I could deal with the humidity! Kell, remember how hot and humid it was on my wedding day? That's how the humidity is all summer in FL and NC. just FYI.

I thought Portland was getting pretty expensive these days. I know my ex-husband works in Portland but lives in WA because of high taxes I thought. Portland was super cool back in the day when I lived there too, but the gray rainy thing.... yuck. Me no likey.

I did like Austin, and they do have Moira, Cass, Swan, Archren, Adeptus and some other cool cats in the area. But, no ME!
2up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:21 PM   #39
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post
I did like Austin, and they do have Moira, Cass, Swan, Archren, Adeptus and some other cool cats in the area. But, no ME!
And G-Rex one of these days.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #40
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2up View Post
When was the last time you were in Arizona? Phoenix has grown up a lot in terms of arts and culture. And most places don't have much of that kind of stuff relative to Chicago or SF. That's like comparing NYC to Des Moines.
I snuck the Chicago/SF thing in at the last minute, to trump you because I knew you'd say "compared to what"

And I don't think NC is all THAT hot, maybe 4 months but that's it.......Plus, it's just so much greener. I dunno, dry brown desert type areas like Phoenix and Denver kind of depress me, even when the weather's nice. San Diego's not much better but at least we have the ocean

Portland OR is definitely cheaper than Seattle or anywhere in CA........

Last edited by Homeslice; 12-15-2008 at 07:51 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote