Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #31
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I'll run for your camera, you stay put.

Of course, I never said I'd come BACK but I'd definitely run...
Gotta help my man Tommy...

On a serious note, why run? This is the biggest thing that gets me about nature and people.

Obviously there are accidents in nature, and some person not paying attention steps on a snake that isnt paying attention and the person gets bit. And there are some animals that are much more aggressive than others, but how often (other than on "when animals attack") do you actually have an unwarranted attack by an animal?

Typically a person is engaging in some behavior that provokes the animal. Like runners that are attacked by cougars or bears. You are in THEIR territory, you are engaging in behavior typical of a prey animal (running) and most people are NOT paying attention to their surroundings.

In all my animal encounters, I move slowly and quietly, I dont provoke the animals and I have never had one flair up at me. I have surprised them and theyve run, but never in an attempt to cause me harm. I've seen big snakes, bobcats, bears, and a few others and I can simply sit and enjoy the chance to observe them outside the confines of bars at a zoo.

As for that big rattler. I saw him crossing the road, I stopped my car, grabbed the camera and slowly walked up behind him. He stopped, looked at me, and then sat and watched me while I watched him. He never coiled, or became agitated. At least not till my driver started jumping up and down hollering and upset him. *sigh*
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:27 AM   #32
the chi
Forum Coach

My dream in life is to be a less retarded Jeff Corwin or Croc Hunter. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Kind alike me at the rally with the snake in the bushes, everyone goes the other way and I am diving in tryin got catch or ID the little bugger, till the damn park cops yelled at me

Tom
And me behind ya, what kind, cool, I wanna see!! I even had my camera!!
Old 07-14-2009, 10:28 AM   #33
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Who's killing shit with fire? That's just fucked up!!!

I walk around my yard with a grill lighter and set Japanese beetles on fire. It's my favorite way to kill them.

I am a HUGE gardener. I would never kill a fawn. Hell a baby rabbit ate almost all my beans this year and he's still out there. Don't like deer in your garden? Well they make fences for that - they are light and portable.
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #34
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Gotta help my man Tommy...

On a serious note, why run? This is the biggest thing that gets me about nature and people.

Obviously there are accidents in nature, and some person not paying attention steps on a snake that isnt paying attention and the person gets bit. And there are some animals that are much more aggressive than others, but how often (other than on "when animals attack") do you actually have an unwarranted attack by an animal?

Typically a person is engaging in some behavior that provokes the animal. Like runners that are attacked by cougars or bears. You are in THEIR territory, you are engaging in behavior typical of a prey animal (running) and most people are NOT paying attention to their surroundings.

In all my animal encounters, I move slowly and quietly, I dont provoke the animals and I have never had one flair up at me. I have surprised them and theyve run, but never in an attempt to cause me harm. I've seen big snakes, bobcats, bears, and a few others and I can simply sit and enjoy the chance to observe them outside the confines of bars at a zoo.

As for that big rattler. I saw him crossing the road, I stopped my car, grabbed the camera and slowly walked up behind him. He stopped, looked at me, and then sat and watched me while I watched him. He never coiled, or became agitated. At least not till my driver started jumping up and down hollering and upset him. *sigh*

Thank you, at least someones on my side

many snake bites are either people who walked too close or idiots like me picking them up.

Surprised the rattler was kinda mellow for a while, he may have been basking trying to warm up since many do go and sun themselves on the road and it doesnt always end well for them.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #35
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
My dream in life is to be a less retarded Jeff Corwin or Croc Hunter. :-)

And me behind ya, what kind, cool, I wanna see!! I even had my camera!!
those guys actualy know their shit too, just that they have good personalities for TV. the thing I liked about Steve irwin was his genuine pashion for what he did, and that he made a good living doing it.

Tom
Old 07-14-2009, 10:32 AM   #36
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:

many snake bites are either people who walked too close or idiots like me picking them up.

Surprised the rattler was kinda mellow for a while, he may have been basking trying to warm up since many do go and sun themselves on the road and it doesnt always end well for them.

Tom
Exactly!! And on that note, if you screw with it, and get bit, its your own darn fault, NOT the animals!!

Well, that was partially the reason I immediately stopped the car... I also stopped all traffic if there had been any.

Why did he cross the road? Because I made sure he didnt get runned over.
Old 07-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #37
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

Tom
Yea, I wonder what the temperature was? They get really sluggish when it's cooler out.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:36 AM   #38
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Yea, I wonder what the temperature was? They get really sluggish when it's cooler out.
thats the whoile cold blooded thing. When my 13ft retic got out and didnt want to go back home peacefully I actualy cranked the AC in the room to make him a litlte less agressive.

Tom
Old 07-14-2009, 10:38 AM   #39
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
thats the whoile cold blooded thing. When my 13ft retic got out and didnt want to go back home peacefully I actualy cranked the AC in the room to make him a litlte less agressive.

Tom
Ha I had to do that to get my boa back when he got out in my apt. He wasn't "aggressive" but he was plenty quick!!! It was winter, so I just opened the windows.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #40
the chi
Forum Coach

Quote:

It was a balmy Florida 90+ degrees, he was crossing, not basking. When he got agitated he quickly spun his head around at the person making a scene and then hightailed (literally) it into the woods.