Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #31
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
if I see you trying to "rough" pass me I'll put you in the ditch if at all possible. like Tig said, you better be someone "I" trust. on the track is completely different.
Sure you will, when you have a rough pass made on you here, you are on the outside and would get run off the mountain or put in the ditch if you tried to do anything about it. It's easy to say on the net, but here back in reality there isn't much you can do without probably taking yourself out. It's not something you want to do on a mountain where you can easily go off a 100 ft cliff. Better just to wait til you get to the parking lot.

It also depends on what is considered rough passing. I don't think what you think is rough passing on the track applies in this case. I haven't seen bump and run passing like on the track, it's not that bad. Most people just will cut a corner or race you into a turn to get around you leaving lots of room, most of it is just surprise passes where you didn't even realize someone was back there. Some cruiser riders don't like these type of passes or passing in general, sportbike riders are pretty use to these and not what we would consider rough. Very few people will force you to change your lane or line unless they blow a corner or something. I don't use the same lane in a pass unless the person gets far to the right for me and gives a wave by. That's pretty much SOP. A lot of bad (not rough) passing comes from people not knowing the road and choosing bad locations to attempt a pass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!

Last edited by Trip; 03-13-2009 at 01:00 PM..
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:29 PM   #32
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
I know the dangers of the road, thank you. I didn't post in order to start a pissing match, or to be told by someone that my skills aren't up to par with the local riders.

Unlike most, I know what my skills are, stay where I belong, and let others pass, even though they're using the road as a race track.

I've had my wreck, thanks to Bambi, and I live everyday with a fucked up shoulder and ribs out of place due to my love of riding. But I get on the bike, enjoy my time, and don't need to be told by someone who has never met me when, or where I should ride.
I know what my skills are as well and I am not saying I am better than you or that local riders are better than you. We just have more vested into the place because it's our home and not a vacation site. The place is advertised as a place to test you skills. People go there to test there skills. Harley riders go there to test their skills. You don't take a vacation to this road expecting a nice leisurely sunday drive. It's not that pretty of a drive thanks to the tree cover during the summer. There is much prettier roads to ride if you just want to cruise with the other tourists within earshot of the place. Everyone comes here to "tame the dragon", not let's cruise to our local bar and sit in the parking lot. Why complain about something you know is happening on the road when you knew what it was about before you got there? It's not like you are a local and use the road to get to work or go shopping and have to run into the hooligans. You come here because you want to be one of those hooligans and "tame" the road. If that's not something you want, choose another place to visit. No one is forcing you to go to this "racetrack."

We have locals that complain about the same thing, but no one forces them to go there. There are great roads to ride around here that have no tourists on them that are just as fun, they can go there and just avoid the gap.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #33
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I know what my skills are as well and I am not saying I am better than you or that local riders are better than you. We just have more vested into the place because it's our home and not a vacation site. The place is advertised as a place to test you skills. People go there to test there skills. Harley riders go there to test their skills. You don't take a vacation to this road expecting a nice leisurely sunday drive. It's not that pretty of a drive thanks to the tree cover during the summer. There is much prettier roads to ride if you just want to cruise with the other tourists within earshot of the place. Everyone comes here to "tame the dragon", not let's cruise to our local bar and sit in the parking lot. Why complain about something you know is happening on the road when you knew what it was about before you got there? It's not like you are a local and use the road to get to work or go shopping and have to run into the hooligans. You come here because you want to be one of those hooligans and "tame" the road. If that's not something you want, choose another place to visit. No one is forcing you to go to this "racetrack."

We have locals that complain about the same thing, but no one forces them to go there. There are great roads to ride around here that have no tourists on them that are just as fun, they can go there and just avoid the gap.
I thought there was some miscommunication going on.

I know what it's like to have great local roads, and then have people come to "tame" them. If and when I can get back to your area, I will probably avoid the Dragon because of all the reasons you stated.

I had more problems with the cars and trucks on my one and only pass down that road. We spend 2 full days there, and I took pics at the gas station and the lead road, refusing to even get on the back of the hubby's ZX-11 as a passenger.

Cherohala skyway is much better, with enough curves to keep me happy, plus some jaw dropping scenery. I'm not interested in dragging hard parts, and bias ply tires aren't exactly corner carving material. The Phillips motel is cool enough just to sit in front of your room and relax!

So misunderstanding aside, you still live in a great place, and I envy your roads. Peace.

Last edited by Fleck750; 03-13-2009 at 01:36 PM..
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:08 PM   #34
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
I thought there was some miscommunication going on.

I know what it's like to have great local roads, and then have people come to "tame" them. If and when I can get get back to your area, I will probably avoid the Dragon because of all the reasons you stated.

I had more problems with the cars and trucks on my one and only pass down that road. We spend 2 full days there, and I took pics at the gas station and the lead road, refusing to even get on the back of the hubby's ZX-11 as a passenger.

Cherohala skyway is much better, with enough curves to keep me happy, plus some jaw dropping scenery. I'm not interested in dragging hard parts, and bias ply tires aren't exactly corner carving material. The Phillips motel is cool enough just to sit in front of your room and relax!

So misunderstanding aside, you still live in a great place, and I envy your roads. Peace.
Yeah, we definitely just missing what the other is trying to say. That's the net for you.

I am not for the racetrack, that's just it's image and that's what draws the people here. I learned long ago not to go up there except during slow times if I want to make some fun runs. Otherwise I just go people watch because you can see some stupid crap happen sitting with the photog's.
Quote:
Old 03-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #35
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
...I'm not interested in dragging hard parts, and bias ply tires aren't exactly corner carving material...
There were two heavy cruisers in my Total Control class. At the end of the day, they were going around the course with the R1's, without scraping. So it can be done.

As for bias/ply tires, the front tire on my old Suzuki is 100mm wide. That's 20mm less than the front tire on most sportbikes. The rear tire is 130mm. Just 10mm wider than the front of any new sportbike. Plus they have tubes. But I can keep up with those sportbikes on some very steep and twisty roads.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:35 PM   #36
Fleck750
Spiker bike

There were 6 guys from Germany when we were there. Being in full leathers, they stuck out like a sore thumb. It was funny seeing the cruisers gaping at them.

They did a pass, and said it wasn't nearly as good as the Italian Alps! It seems ironic they come halfway across the world to ride, and the best roads are in their backyard.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:43 PM   #37
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
He lost a sneaker!!!
that was the thing I noticed too -

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 01:47 PM   #38
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
There were two heavy cruisers in my Total Control class. At the end of the day, they were going around the course with the R1's, without scraping. So it can be done.

As for bias/ply tires, the front tire on my old Suzuki is 100mm wide. That's 20mm less than the front tire on most sportbikes. The rear tire is 130mm. Just 10mm wider than the front of any new sportbike. Plus they have tubes. But I can keep up with those sportbikes on some very steep and twisty roads.

I'd like to get some Pirellia tires, they have a better profile. I have my bike lowered 3 inches front and back, and there are no chicken strips, so I think I've reached my limit on these tires! I'm not comfortable leaning off the bike, and that's where the speed comes from.

I'll just be happy pretending I'm "corner carving". When I get on the bike, I feel 20 years old, 5'7" and 100 lbs, so pretending comes naturally.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:07 PM   #39
Trip
Hold mah beer!

I am pretty sure he shattered his foot to pieces. I don't remember the story, it's been months since that happened.
Quote:
Old 03-13-2009, 02:43 PM   #40
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Nobody better pass me in my lane. You want to go around, you change lane, but if you try to squeez past me you'll probably make me fuck up, and then you'll get fucked up. If I lay it down I'll find you later, and if I have to swerve around I'll fucking follow you until I catch you, and then it's on.