Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #41
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
It's definitely a cool thing to do, but I can't imagine a corporation that would do that these days.
Not a major one.

Joe & Bob's Trophies Inc may do it but not your typical fortune 500 firm.

Then again, Joe & Bob don't have to adhere to FMLA, don't provide medical, dental, life or disability insurance, and expect you to work overtime without extra pay during the T-ball season.

But they are the little guys, so they care about their employees.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:52 PM   #42
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

This is really a circle jerk debate.. Everyone knows everything and has all the answers... My signature says all I need to say - go to the Zeitgeist site and educate yourself..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #43
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

lol
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #44
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Which thread is this referring to?

It's impossible for a company to care about anything.......It's a paper entity, not a person.

There may be a few people within the company who have the type of personality where they genuinely care about the life & times of their customers.......But most don't. Why should they? The #1 reason they are there is to earn a paycheck. Just like you.

If earning a paycheck requires them to be nice to their customers in order to earn a fat commission or get a good performance appraisal, they will do so.......... but beyond that, they don't actually give a shit. And that's the way it should be.

Yea I'm sorry but unless you work for small companies, like I started doing after a corporation screwed me over, you can't expect a company to "care". It is comprised of a bunch of small wheels with rules they must follow to keep their employment. They don't have any "real power.

Two things, and forgive me Josh, but I'm still wondering who was at fault for this accident in the first place? Why aren't they being called to the carpet to pay for this? In my experience when an accident is another party's fault, they pay all of your lost work, expenses, etc not your insurance company. They may be part of the hold up from her company...

Second, again I'm sorry but this is still kinda "recent" for an insurance company paying out/lawsuit talk isn't it? Seriously, it does take some time for these things to pan out. Was an insurance adjuster supposed to be standing outside the room with a check in hand the day after the accident? Trust me I want the little guy to be taken care of and it sounds like he is being taken care of... Are we really fighting over a couple weeks pay while the boy's life is still hanging in the balance? Can't that stuff be worked out after the kid is okay? BTW perhaps the father has better coverage that he may pay a higher premium for that got his paid all of his lost wages... Josh said himself that he doesn't know what her coverages are...if any.

Anyway, I hope that everything works out in the end but a few weeks pay would be the last thing on my mind at this point...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #45
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I contend that they can actually make more money by taking care of their employees and being known for it within their own walls.

Edit: I should elaborate on that. When word gets around that people can't depend on being able to keep their homes or vehicles if one of their kids gets hurt, that is going to have a direct effect on morale. When people are pissed off at the company they're working for, they're not going to work as hard, and they're going to intentionally screw things up. Anyone who's worked in a corporate office enviornment has probably seen that happen over and over again.

But if you're proud of the company you work for, and you feel like they have your back, then you're not going to intentionally fuck them or steal time. Very simple stuff.
Or you pay for the supplemental insurance that is/was offered by the company...I don't know how many times people turn down supplemental coverage and later get mad when they aren't covered... the blame almost always goes to the company... I'm sorry bro but I just can't see how the company is responsible for making her insurance claims for her.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:49 PM   #46
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
While I am sympathetic to this situation, a company's job is to protect the company... make money. Everything it does should be related to just that... making money and avoiding losses.

HR's function is no different. They are there to bring in people who will make and/or save the company, fire people who don't, and protect the company from employee related lawsuits. That's it.

It would be all great and fantastic if the company would step in and handle this, but frankly expecting them to do so is unrealistic and pretty selfish.

As far as having an HR rep contact the insurance... does anyone really think that would help? The insurance company and HR got together long ago to iron out a contract to get a certain rate on a certain package... that's it. Beyond that, they have no business together. If the insurance was mandatory for all employees, then HR would have some stake in it, but otherwise it's not their insurance... it's your insurance.

It's like if someone on here put together a group buy for a Chatterbox or something... Mine comes and it's all fucked up... I'm not gonna PM the guy who put together the buy, I'm going to call the place who sent it to me.

Sucks and it would be great if it were different, but that's the reality of the situation. Get a lawyer.
100% agreement.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:49 AM   #47
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Yea I'm sorry but unless you work for small companies, like I started doing after a corporation screwed me over, you can't expect a company to "care". It is comprised of a bunch of small wheels with rules they must follow to keep their employment. They don't have any "real power.

Two things, and forgive me Josh, but I'm still wondering who was at fault for this accident in the first place? Why aren't they being called to the carpet to pay for this? In my experience when an accident is another party's fault, they pay all of your lost work, expenses, etc not your insurance company. They may be part of the hold up from her company...

Second, again I'm sorry but this is still kinda "recent" for an insurance company paying out/lawsuit talk isn't it? Seriously, it does take some time for these things to pan out. Was an insurance adjuster supposed to be standing outside the room with a check in hand the day after the accident? Trust me I want the little guy to be taken care of and it sounds like he is being taken care of... Are we really fighting over a couple weeks pay while the boy's life is still hanging in the balance? Can't that stuff be worked out after the kid is okay? BTW perhaps the father has better coverage that he may pay a higher premium for that got his paid all of his lost wages... Josh said himself that he doesn't know what her coverages are...if any.

Anyway, I hope that everything works out in the end but a few weeks pay would be the last thing on my mind at this point...
You know, you've said some pretty stupid things on this site.

You've been pretty douchebaggy and heartless before.

When I don't think you could get any worse, you go and post some shit like this...

and TOTALLY redeem yourself!

Seriously, well said.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #48
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post

We aren't even talking about the auto insurance, at this point. What's under discussion is failure to pay STD or LTD, based on stress and supported by a doctor's report, which seems to be permitted under their group policy. HR has washed their hands of the situation, making the employee deal directly with the insurer. The insurer is shuckin' and jivin' to get out of their legal responsibility to the client.

So are we all on the same page now?

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #49
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Yea, yea I say something that you agree with and I'm "redeemed"... I call it as I see, if that makes me a "douche bag" or "heartless", so be it. I meant every word, I like Josh and I hope that everything works out for his sake. I've been in similar circumstances in the past and it is soul wrenching and draining to a degree that cannot be fathomed by those that haven't experienced it.

As far as the insurance company goes, I'm not in love with insurance companies either but I have always had a problem with the idea of them being a bunch of "evil little men" just looking for ways to screw you out of your rightful claim. In most cases, if they owe you money, they'll pay you, if not, they won't. For all we know, she might not even have coverage for this type of eventuality... I don't.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #50
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
We aren't even talking about the auto insurance, at this point. What's under discussion is failure to pay STD or LTD, based on stress and supported by a doctor's report, which seems to be permitted under their group policy. HR has washed their hands of the situation, making the employee deal directly with the insurer. The insurer is shuckin' and jivin' to get out of their legal responsibility to the client.

So are we all on the same page now?
Many DI policies have a waiting period.

If it were a company plan, it may take effect immediately, since it doesn't sound like that is the case, Prudential's (or whomever the insurer is) guidelines must be followed.

Not my words but a decent summary of STDI:

Quote:
You can start receiving money from your STD policy with a waiting period of 0 to 14 days after becoming sick or disabled, according to the III. The actual time for coverage to kick in depends on whether you suffer an illness or injury. If you suffer an injury, your benefits will be paid immediately. If you suffer an illness, it may take longer because of the need to show that the illness is grave enough to be disabling.
LTD will not be an issue for a few months still.