Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #41
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
yeah i hear ya... did you get a truck yet?
I have been working on securing a loan which has been really tough right now especially considering I don't technically have a job yet and the banks have tightened up on loaning to people. Managed to get my Dad to co-sign and hopefully I should hear today if it went through. Then I truck shop and then I pack, and then I travel onward!

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
How about the Xterra v.s. the Pathfinder ? I currently have a Jeep Cherokee Classic with 136k on the clock and have not had many issues but will be replacing it at some point in the future and thought about the Xterra but "think" I like the Pathfinder a little better overall. It will be a 4x4 whichever one I decide to go with. I don't want a Grand Cherokee or a Liberty so that's why I may be going the Pathfinder route. Thanks
Tough call on that one. From what I recall the Xterras that did come in were mostly basic repairs and a couple came in for recalls. I want to say the Pathfinders didn't really have a ton of problems either but we did have a our share of older ones coming in and out but those can be credited with age and high mileage for their issues. Not that I am an expert but from my dealership experience both SUVs were definitely in and out for much smaller things than any of the more common vehicles.

If I had to buy a Nissan it would probably be an Xterra and then a PathFinder and overall I would avoid any of the other crap. The Maxima's were nice but they often came in for many issues as well. The 350z was too low for my liking (and I drive a lowered Mustang and damnit I am young!) but they didn't really have issues beyond the front wheel camber recall and young people destroying clutches. The Murano's look nice but I can't speak for any of their issues.

One thing that most people may not know is that the Sentra and some Altimas had recalls out for a problem with their intake system. The little screws holding the butterfly valves on were coming out and going right on through the engine. Most of the time when someone brought it in it was too late and so there were a ton of engine swaps going on but overall they were the same cars having most of the other issues effecting reliability.

If you don't like the Liberty or Cherokee (And I understand that!), I would also look at some Toyota 4 Runners. Should match up with the Pathfinder for what you want and you can't doubt Toyota's reputation. Just my thoughts! I am too young to know much about life but I am always happy to share my thoughts on what I have experience with!

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.

Last edited by Quick281; 03-04-2009 at 10:01 AM..
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 AM   #42
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
I have been working on securing a loan which has been really tough right now especially considering I don't technically have a job yet and the banks have tightened up on loaning to people. Managed to get my Dad to co-sign and hopefully I should hear today if it went through. Then I truck shop and then I pack, and then I travel onward!

Tough call on that one. From what I recall the Xterras that did come in were mostly basic repairs and a couple came in for recalls. I want to say the Pathfinders didn't really have a ton of problems either but we did have a our share of older ones coming in and out but those can be credited with age and high mileage for their issues. Not that I am an expert but from my dealership experience both SUVs were definitely in and out for much smaller things than any of the more common vehicles.

If I had to buy a Nissan it would probably be an Xterra and then a PathFinder and overall I would avoid any of the other crap. The Maxima's were nice but they often came in for many issues as well. The 350z was too low for my liking (and I drive a lowered Mustang and damnit I am young!) but they didn't really have issues beyond the front wheel camber recall and young people destroying clutches. The Murano's look nice but I can't speak for any of their issues.

One thing that most people may not know is that the Sentra and some Altimas had recalls out for a problem with their intake system. The little screws holding the butterfly valves on were coming out and going right on through the engine. Most of the time when someone brought it in it was too late and so there were a ton of engine swaps going on but overall they were the same cars having most of the other issues effecting reliability.

If you don't like the Liberty or Cherokee (And I understand that!), I would also look at some Toyota 4 Runners. Should match up with the Pathfinder for what you want and you can't doubt Toyota's reputation. Just my thoughts! I am too young to know much about life but I am always happy to share my thoughts on what I have experience with!

Thanks for the input man. Yeah I like my Cherokee ...the older square one that I WISH they still made but just don't really care for the Grand Cherokee very much...they seem to have many more problems especially with transmissions.

I think the Liberty that replaced the little Cherokee like mine is a chic vehicle.

I know they are now redesigned but I probably won't be buying new.

Oh yeah...I do like the 4 Runner you mentioned too.

Thanks again.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #43
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Thanks for the input man. Yeah I like my Cherokee ...the older square one that I WISH they still made but just don't really care for the Grand Cherokee very much...they seem to have many more problems especially with transmissions.

I think the Liberty that replaced the little Cherokee like mine is a chic vehicle.

Thanks again.
I've got an 05 Grand Cherokee. The tranny is solid. Much better than the previous version. In fact, Jeep is backing up the latest version with a lifetime powertrain warranty.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #44
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I've got an 05 Grand Cherokee. The tranny is solid. Much better than the previous version. In fact, Jeep is backing up the latest version with a lifetime powertrain warranty.
Cool deal. I haven't researched them in awhile but am glad to hear that. I know they are heavier than mine so I thought maybe that was part of the problem over time. If I go for the Grand Cherokee it will have to be a V-8. My inline six has been just fine in my lighter Cherokee Sport.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #45
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I've wanted one for some time. But, everybody I know who has one says they're gutless, gas pigs.

Seems like they fixed that with the 4.0. You have my interest peaked now..
My buddy owns this Xterra. Its supercharged. I found it had great power. My buddy doesn't like the gas mileage at all. I also drove a regular one and the power was nothing to write home about but it was ok. I been in much worse as far as power goes.

James
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2094 [640x480].JPG (96.3 KB, 29 views)
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #46
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Cool deal. I haven't researched them in awhile but am glad to hear that. I know they are heavier than mine so I thought maybe that was part of the problem over time. If I go for the Grand Cherokee it will have to be a V-8. My inline six has been just fine in my lighter Cherokee Sport.
I'd recommend the v-8 as well. I've got the 3.7 v6. It's a dog. But the 4 wheel drive system is as good as ever. Highly recommended.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #47
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:

Thanks again.
The new Lib with the 3.7 is actually pretty peppy, and looks good squared off.
In the GC either of the V8's are good, the 4.7 gets about 3-5 mpg better.

I prefer the Lib option to be able to go true 2 or 4wd. GC is all auto.

Jeeps are cheap now though. Local dealer has them about 10K off sticker, plus 0% for 48 months.
Still have lifetime powertrain, and you can make it lifetime bumper to bumper for about $2K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:02 AM   #48
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
The new Lib with the 3.7 is actually pretty peppy, and looks good squared off.
In the GC either of the V8's are good, the 4.7 gets about 3-5 mpg better.

I prefer the Lib option to be able to go true 2 or 4wd. GC is all auto.

Jeeps are cheap now though. Local dealer has them about 10K off sticker, plus 0% for 48 months.
Still have lifetime powertrain, and you can make it lifetime bumper to bumper for about $2K.
I was a bit weary of the 4wd system in the GC too. I don't even have 4 low. But I took that sucker through some really deep sand in the Outer Banks last year. It performed flawlessly.

And in the snow...I've never felt the system kick in...it's seemless. Never slips, always goes. I like it alot.

Quote:
Old 03-05-2009, 10:02 AM   #49
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I was a bit weary of the 4wd system in the GC too. I don't even have 4 low. But I took that sucker through some really deep sand in the Outer Banks last year. It performed flawlessly.

And in the snow...I've never felt the system kick in...it's seemless. Never slips, always goes. I like it alot.
I had no doubt that the system works. Thats the prob though, it always works. I want to be able to put my vehicle in 2 wheel drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #50
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
I had no doubt that the system works. Thats the prob though, it always works. I want to be able to put my vehicle in 2 wheel drive.
yup! and it's why I'd take my 86 truck over any newer 4x4... I lock the hubs in and sit in 2wd... then the exact moment i need 4... I pull the shifter back and i'm immediately in 4... no blinking lights... no waiting for the computer to engage the trasfercase... ect.

really though... that's only useful when your fuck'n around drifting... get a little to sideways... and you're gonna loose it.... just grab 4 and the front end will pull everything back into alignment.

on the X it's ok... cause that bitch is so top heavy i wouldn't try drift'n it anyways...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote