Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #61
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Cool. Go ahead keep missing good photo opps because you didn't have your bigass DSLR with you that day.
Honestly I take the DSLR everywhere and don't really miss any photo ops and if there was a case where I could shove some pos p&s in my pocket and get the picture i might miss if I didn't have my gear (insert bob thorton here from bad santa "are you saying there's something wrong with my gear?") then honestly i wouldn't want the shitty picture from the p&s anyways.. wouldn't be worth my time.. guess I am a picture snob.. and really i don't feel a DSLR is that much bigger than a p&s..

I agree that some people are happy with p&s - my MIL and I argue all the time about it and she refuses to buy a DSLR - she keeps buying $300 p&s once a year and then they suck and she hates it and she goes to buy another with the mantra "i don't have to spend $600 to get a good camera" - so my FIL and I are like yeah but you didn't have to spend $5,000 on 20 crappy cameras either there einstein..

it's all preference.. and for a few minutes it was fun to have some banter back and forth with you.. my preference is definitely DSLR and nothing else..

As far as a delicious meal you must have a good stove.. that applies as well - say I want to cook a delicious 5 star gourmet meal - could I do that on a camping stove? shot, score.. take it and like it P_C..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #62
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Like I said, 2 sides

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #63
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I think a couple of you are exagerating when you say you take a DSLR everywhere. So you take it to work with you? You take it to the grocery store? You take it to the bar or club? Swinging around your shoulder or in your backpack everywhere you go? You really carry a backpack everywhere you go? I kind of doubt it.

There are tons of places where a good cellphone camera or P&S comes in handy.

And I still don't buy the SLR is automatically better argument. True, 95% of SLR's are better than 95% of P&S. But then there's an overlap somewhere, where the best P&S rival the worst SLR's. The budget SLR's don't have great sensors. And an SLR's lens might collect more light, but that's a bigger factor indoors than it is outdoors.

Last edited by Homeslice; 12-03-2010 at 05:41 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #64
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
I think a couple of you are exagerating when you say you take a DSLR everywhere. So you take it to work with you? You take it to the grocery store? You take it to the bar or club? Swinging around your shoulder or in your backpack everywhere you go? You really carry a backpack everywhere you go? I kind of doubt it.

There are tons of places where a good cellphone camera or P&S comes in handy.

And I still don't buy the SLR is automatically better argument. True, 95% of SLR's are better than 95% of P&S. But then there's an overlap somewhere, where the best P&S rival the worst SLR's. The budget SLR's don't have great sensors. And an SLR's lens might collect more light, but that's a bigger factor indoors than it is outdoors.
While I generally don't have this "swinging around my neck", it's almost always somewhere that I could get it in a couple of minutes.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:52 PM   #65
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
While I generally don't have this "swinging around my neck", it's almost always somewhere that I could get it in a couple of minutes.

I always have my DSLR in the car wherever I go.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 AM   #66
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post

I'll make sure to come by when you're not around.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #67
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

I carry the DSLR anytime I want pictures.. honestly if I don't have it then it would also be a time I wouldn't have had a P&S in the past before I got a DSLR anyways.. I would take it to the bar, if I wanted pictures.. I don't take pictures at work - there really isn't anything I want pictures of - it is work and I drink to forget it why would I want to photo document it? If they had a christmas party or something and asked me to take pictures I would.. other than that I have no reason.. and I have no knowledge of any p&s that is even close to the worst DSLR.. its night and day really.. The p&s is so limited by its fixed lens and compact size..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 09:43 PM   #68
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Ditto.

Besides, why would you waste money on a DLSR that isnt any better than a P&S? If you're going to spend the $, either go cheap and get a P&S or spend the bit of extra dough and get a great camera.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:36 PM   #69
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Wherever you go?

So you leave it in the car when you drive to the gym? To the store? To school?

If yes, it might get stolen or heat-damaged.

If not, you might miss a photo opportunity.

I love arguing.

Truth be told, when I think about it some more, the best P&S aren't pocket-size anymore, so you might as well get a DSLR anyway.

The real solution is a to have a good camera phone and a DSLR. Fuck P&S........The only reason for buying a P&S might be if you wanted one of those waterproof, shockproof ones to take on the beach where you would be worried about it getting fucked up.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #70
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Wherever you go?

So you leave it in the car when you drive to the gym? To the store? To school?

If yes, it might get stolen or heat-damaged.

If not, you might miss a photo opportunity.

I love arguing.

Truth be told, when I think about it some more, the best P&S aren't pocket-size anymore, so you might as well get a DSLR anyway.

The real solution is a to have a good camera phone and a DSLR. Fuck P&S........The only reason for buying a P&S might be if you wanted one of those waterproof, shockproof ones to take on the beach where you would be worried about it getting fucked up.
Yeah, everywhere. Im at work right now and its in my car as I type this. The only time I worry about it is when im on a boat or at the beach. Im planning to get a waterproof P&S for those situations.