Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-23-2010, 07:14 PM   #61
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I'd rather learn on a ninja 250 than a cruiser. They may stop/start the same but they do not handle the same.
But then every time the bike is dropped, you have to replace the fairings. Your $500 course just became $1000.

There are a few reasons sportbikes are not used(cost, complexity, userfriendliness)
Old 04-23-2010, 07:27 PM   #62
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
I'd rather learn on a ninja 250 than a cruiser. They may stop/start the same but they do not handle the same.
Most courses around here have you on a Ninja 250 and I think the Harley places even use the Buell Blasts.

I tried the "cool" two finger thing coming up on a deer and I did the highest stoppie I have ever done. I would have died if I tried the 4 fingers and my bike's brakes where worn out on a 1996 model.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 PM   #63
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
But then every time the bike is dropped, you have to replace the fairings. Your $500 course just became $1000.

There are a few reasons sportbikes are not used(cost, complexity, userfriendliness)

I've never heard of a customer having to pay for damage at a "learning" msf course.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #64
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I unlike msf would just refuse to teach someone that couldn't handle basic control.

I would probably give the first lesson on controls with my fiddy. Its more responsive at low speed than a sportbike.

Msf isn't the end all be all of moto training. Sorry it just isn't worth the money if you have someone who can train you just as easily unless you can recoup the costs.
you teaching people once in a while includes "oh yeah, you need to learn to do this" "and another thing you need to do is" and so on, you have no regimented routine, it's off the cuff.

is the MSF the only way to learn, NO, but it's better then you or any other person throwing out there personnal idea's. and who's to say you or another home schooled teacher is teaching the right technique. trust me, not everybody is as good as you are. i've heard of people teaching rear brakes only.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/hurt.html

a synopsis of the hurt report

"22. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents. "

Quote:
I've never heard of a customer having to pay for damage at a "learning" msf course.
no the students wouldn't pay up front, but the cost of overhead has gone up to replace plastics, who's gonna end up paying?
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #65
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Is this chick 50 years old?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #66
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Yes.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:21 PM   #67
RACER X
AMA Supersport

tell her to go ride a bicycle as fast as she can, and practice making turns and such.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:04 AM   #68
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
you teaching people once in a while includes "oh yeah, you need to learn to do this" "and another thing you need to do is" and so on, you have no regimented routine, it's off the cuff.

is the MSF the only way to learn, NO, but it's better then you or any other person throwing out there personnal idea's. and who's to say you or another home schooled teacher is teaching the right technique. trust me, not everybody is as good as you are. i've heard of people teaching rear brakes only.

http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~john/vfr/hurt.html

a synopsis of the hurt report

"22. The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents. "

no the students wouldn't pay up front, but the cost of overhead has gone up to replace plastics, who's gonna end up paying?
Yes, because you know my teaching methods... nice ASSumption there buddy.

I am a freakin engineer, and to add to that I am a freakin engineer that works in the nuclear industry. If anything, I don't do anything off the cuff. I write procedures on how to turn a screw driver. I can guarantee if I decided to teach someone, they would get a more rigorous training than MSF to the point where they would be telling me to shut up and let them ride already.

MSF is very basic training. It's nothing that spectacular or revolutionary and most people on this board can give the same type or better of training if they put their heads into it. As you said, you are just parking lot trained. There is still a lot to learn and you will need those same friends to get you to the point where you are comfortable being on the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:37 AM   #69
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
As you said, you are just parking lot trained.
I wonder if he's even house trained.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:44 AM   #70
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Quote:

I am a freakin engineer, and to add to that I am a freakin engineer that works in the nuclear industry. If anything, I don't do anything off the cuff. I write procedures on how to turn a screw driver. I can guarantee if I decided to teach someone, they would get a more rigorous training than MSF to the point where they would be telling me to shut up and let them ride already.

so, my parents are engineers and i work(ed) w/ alongside them all day long, and we design/build plants that go BOOM also.

my B-I-L is also a technical writer, he writes manuels on how to turn screws too, but he's not an engineer.

all talk no action and yes you're right, it's not hard to teach (i'm proof) but it's been thought out over 40 something yrs w/ alot of diff. people involved. vs you and ? yrs of riding.

all i see is talk from you about how you'd do, but it reality it's talk and you haven' done anything but that.........everybody knows better but has never done it.

like i said, is it an end all to training, NO, but it is a good foundation, sure you can do better, prove it.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.