Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #61
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Also, as far as wandering the world, bumming favors from strangers.........Being in your 20's it works, because you can play off the whole starving student image, even if you're not actually a student. There's always other 20-somethings you can party with, because they're single and stuff. Doesn't work as well when you're older --- people would probably just pity you, and/or avoid you.
You haven't spent much time on couchsurfing.org, I take it. There are plenty of folks in the world happy to take on someone, even if they're not in their 20's.

I've got a friend who does this from time to time, and it's really not that hard for him to make do (at least in Europe) bouncing from place to place and working for cash.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:09 AM   #62
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Was a cool read...

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #63
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
While I don't think it was particularly deep either, I value the insight, and it's deeper than some people bother thinking. I do want to live my life like that... I don't feel a need to add to the world, or leave a mark, rather I want the world to leave a mark with me. I want to experience things I've only seen in pictures or movies.

I could care less what everyone else does... I don't think that mentality is for everyone... and I'm not saying what ANYONE chooses to do with their life is wrong/right... I'm just saying I wished some people were a little more open minded about the world. In America we suffer greatly IMO because of our in ability to keep our minds open. so while his words weren't all that deep, for some... they'd drown in them.

just my opinion... but I do envy his ability to leave... mine comes in 10-12 years...
As you said, you are viewing from the perspective of someone who wants to live like that to some degree. I don't see anything wrong with that. My perspective is different. For me it isn't the place, it is the people who are there. When my time comes I don't believe I will wish I had seen this place or that place, though I have seen a lot of places. What I suspect I will appreciate/regret most is the time, or lack thereof, I was able to spend with the people I care about.

My primary issue with this guy's essay is in my view he spends far too much time trying to justify the way he has chosen to live. Two items in particular are below.

Possessions own you: He wants to live his life out of a backpack, that's cool, but I like a lot of my stuff. A lot of it even fulfills me and none of it is a search for validation from others as he chooses to believe.

TV is the greatest black hole of time available to mankind: Sure, it can be. It doesn't have to be though. Sometimes I watch crap, but other times I watch things so I can learn or come as close as possible to experiencing something I will never personally go through. To dismiss an entire form of media as worthless is pretty narrow-minded.

What bothers me isn't that he has chosen to live this way. I couldn't care less about that and I actually think it is great he has been able to live his dream. It is that, on some level, he is dismissive of those who do not share his same dream.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 PM   #64
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post

My primary issue with this guy's essay is in my view he spends far too much time trying to justify the way he has chosen to live. Two items in particular are below.

Possessions own you: He wants to live his life out of a backpack, that's cool, but I like a lot of my stuff. A lot of it even fulfills me and none of it is a search for validation from others as he chooses to believe.

TV is the greatest black hole of time available to mankind: Sure, it can be. It doesn't have to be though. Sometimes I watch crap, but other times I watch things so I can learn or come as close as possible to experiencing something I will never personally go through. To dismiss an entire form of media as worthless is pretty narrow-minded.

What bothers me isn't that he has chosen to live this way. I couldn't care less about that and I actually think it is great he has been able to live his dream. It is that, on some level, he is dismissive of those who do not share his same dream.
I'm not sure I read it the way you did. though it maybe because, as you said,
you are viewing from the perspective of someone who wants to live like that to some degree. I didn't think he was trying to push an agenda so much as just get his, realizations out... though I can see your point.

I agree, I don't believe my posessions own me. I buy things I like, and I enjoy.... case in point trading in the 600RR for the DRZ. but I think he has a point with many people today. People buy things with recognition first, rather than their wants/needs... ie the 1000 as a first bike syndrome.

T.V.... ehh for me it's what ever. I don't care for most of the crap on TV, and the New's is the worst of any of it. I do think we as a culture spend a lot of time absorbed in it we could invest in each other, a hobby, or education with a much better return on our investment...

I agree with your last point to a degree... I don't know that he was dismissive, but his tone can be interpreted that way. I THINK his intent is to sound dismissive to the ignorant way of life. at least that was my mindset. But very common from the stories I've read and heard from world travelers to sound, condescending about their "enlightenment" when IMO it's meant as more of a statement of astonishment about how ignorant people can be.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:20 PM   #65
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Lefty View Post
I'm not sure I read it the way you did. though it maybe because, as you said,
you are viewing from the perspective of someone who wants to live like that to some degree. I didn't think he was trying to push an agenda so much as just get his, realizations out... though I can see your point.

I agree, I don't believe my posessions own me. I buy things I like, and I enjoy.... case in point trading in the 600RR for the DRZ. but I think he has a point with many people today. People buy things with recognition first, rather than their wants/needs... ie the 1000 as a first bike syndrome.

T.V.... ehh for me it's what ever. I don't care for most of the crap on TV, and the New's is the worst of any of it. I do think we as a culture spend a lot of time absorbed in it we could invest in each other, a hobby, or education with a much better return on our investment...

I agree with your last point to a degree... I don't know that he was dismissive, but his tone can be interpreted that way. I THINK his intent is to sound dismissive to the ignorant way of life. at least that was my mindset. But very common from the stories I've read and heard from world travelers to sound, condescending about their "enlightenment" when IMO it's meant as more of a statement of astonishment about how ignorant people can be.
I get where you are coming from and I think there is some value in what the guy is saying. I just think he is shooting it a bit too much through his own prism and ends up taking it too far as a result.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:39 PM   #66
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
I get where you are coming from and I think there is some value in what the guy is saying. I just think he is shooting it a bit too much through his own prism and ends up taking it too far as a result.
fair enough.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #67
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
As you said, you are viewing from the perspective of someone who wants to live like that to some degree. I don't see anything wrong with that. My perspective is different. For me it isn't the place, it is the people who are there. When my time comes I don't believe I will wish I had seen this place or that place, though I have seen a lot of places. What I suspect I will appreciate/regret most is the time, or lack thereof, I was able to spend with the people I care about.

Some people do need to be "dismissed/dissed", because they waste too much time watching junk TV (reality shows, fiction programs that add no value to one's life other than entertainment)...........And they buy things specifically in order to fit in with other people. You might not, but I'll bet the majority of people do. At the very least, they spend more than they need to, which drastically reduces what they could spend on their hobbies, travel, etc.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote