Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #71
fatbuckRTO
This is not the sig line.

Moto: Be prepared. What? Oh, *moto*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Perfect! I like being the 'outsider'

You could always visit the old board and get a laugh at the inanity that Brett is posting in the political forum
I've seen it. The funniest part of the whole debacle is the utter retardedness of the original post that spawned the most epic debate CF has seen in months. Same song, different verse, though. We'll both die waiting to see Brett's research and Speed's answer to "what if the democrats get the powers of the Patriot Act."

-Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!
fatbuckRTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #72
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I've seen it. The funniest part of the whole debacle is the utter retardedness of the original post that spawned the most epic debate CF has seen in months. Same song, different verse, though. We'll both die waiting to see Brett's research and Speed's answer to "what if the democrats get the powers of the Patriot Act."
It's funny to have the occasional look over there, because the political forum has become a wasteland of neo-con back patting. How many threads can you really have that reference the impending doom using the exact same words? Not too many, apparently
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #73
fatbuckRTO

I still drop in every day. But few people are talking on the whole board and I'm not creative enough to be a conversation starter. And, yeah, with Perv and Brett taking the run of the Politics forum it's like sitting in the web forum version of Fox and Friends.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:54 AM   #74
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbuckRTO View Post
I still drop in every day. But few people are talking on the whole board and I'm not creative enough to be a conversation starter.
Not a whole lot of point. Occasionally I'll stop by and the stupidity just calls to me

Back on the original topic, how about a little more military SF? Gordon R. Dickson's "Soldier, Ask Not" or perhaps "Tactics of Mistake"?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:03 AM   #75
fatbuckRTO

Quote:
Back on the original topic, how about a little more military SF? Gordon R. Dickson's "Soldier, Ask Not" or perhaps "Tactics of Mistake"?
Good genre. I haven't read those, but I would very much like to see anything in Card's Ender saga. But only if he has creative control. There were moves toward making Ender's Game but I guess Card pulled the plug. Better that it never see the screen than be fucked up like Starship Troopers, IMO.

Speaking of which, I'd like to see Starship Troopers with a more faithful following of the book, instead of Melrose Place with space bugs.

Also, The Forever War by Joe Halderman. EDIT: Huh, according to Wikipedia I may be in luck.
Quote:
Film
On October 12 2008, Ridley Scott confirmed that after a 25 year wait for the rights to become available, he is making a return to science fiction with a film adaptation of the book. He is currently looking for a script writer.[8]

Last edited by fatbuckRTO; 01-26-2009 at 09:32 AM..
Old 01-26-2009, 09:39 AM   #76
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

The premise of Tactics of Mistake is a good one. Here's a quick breakdown:

Earth colonizes several different star systems. While the people of Earth remain culturally differentiated, the colony worlds start developing into very defined roles.

A gifted Earth military officer in the Western Alliance is wounded in a way that ends his active service. He starts devoting his time to writing a multi-volume treatise on military tactics, which he belives will revolutionize warfare. The upper brass ignore him, so he heads out into the universe to prove his theories.

Anything more would start to give away major plot elements.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:27 AM   #77
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

I could never get into any of the Dragonball series.. not saying the storyline was bad, but those epidodes where there were 20 minutes of powering up and yelling and whatnot just were a turn off and killed it for me.

I wouldn't mind seeing a live action Ghost in the Shell or Appleseed film. I know there was talk of a possible Evangelion film.. which while it would be totally bad ass.. it would be extremely difficult for them to stay true to the manga/series because it's so.. well.. so Eva. If you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. I wouldn't mind seeing Xenosaga done as live action.. if only because I'd be interested to see who they'd cast as KOS-MOS... holy android hotness, batman.

In the book realm.. I'd like to see them bring back Dresden Files. I enjoyed the heck out of the TV show.. even though it only loosely followed the storyline, Jim Butcher was heavily involved in the development of the series, and it was still a quality show, IMO. I was really disappointed when SciFi dropped it.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:08 AM   #78
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Want to see a screen play of my biography taken from my memoirs "The Reluctant Matador". Probably have to get Jackman to play me in my mature years or Gerrard Butler (that way my wife will actually watch it)

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:09 AM   #79
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

I never read Dresden Files but after seeing the show and talking to friends about the books, I want to find the whole series. Lose the hockey stick and drumstick. Bring back the staff and wand
Old 01-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #80
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
I never read Dresden Files but after seeing the show and talking to friends about the books, I want to find the whole series. Lose the hockey stick and drumstick. Bring back the staff and wand
I highly, highly recommend the books. If you liked the show, you will like the books even more.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote