Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #81
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
I highly, highly recommend the books. If you liked the show, you will like the books even more.
Sounds like more books to put on the long list of things I want to read.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #82
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
Sounds like more books to put on the long list of things I want to read.
I just downloaded an e-book reader for my iPhone because they have Butcher's Codex Alera series on it. Debating on if I'm actually going to purchase the e-books or just add to my physical book collection...

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:58 AM   #83
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

The books kick ass, I has thems all. Buy and enjoy.

As for DBZ, I'm so sick of people having orgasms over that cartoon. How long can I watch weird midgets float over the same golf course talking about power levels, making rocks float, staring at each other and having flashbacks about giant monkeys. I fucking hate that show.

I want a Deadpool movie. A movie specifically about him, and enjoying some of the more crazy aspects of the character. I also want a Venom movie, and I was enraged at spider-man3.

And I'd like to see an Appleseed move, that would be cool. Or Witch Hunter Robin, or Trigun, but it would have to be a long movie.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #84
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

I prefer the Robot Chicken DBZ to the real thing, myself: http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=21233

In Manga, either Appleseed or Ghost in the Shell as live action would make me happy.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:06 AM   #85
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I prefer the Robot Chicken DBZ to the real thing, myself: http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=21233

In Manga, either Appleseed or Ghost in the Shell as live action would make me happy.
Yeah, I should have specified the manga versions of both GITS and Appleseed.. although if they followed the Stand Alone Complex storyline of GITS, I wouldn't be disappointed at all (the Tachikomas at least still had a sense of humor in the TV series..).

Although.. I'm sure the guys would prefer the manga version, if only because of the gratuitous cyber-lesbian scene.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss

Last edited by Archren; 01-28-2009 at 08:09 AM..
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:11 AM   #86
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
Although.. I'm sure the guys would prefer the manga version, if only because of the gratuitous cyber-lesbian scene.
Ummmm...yeah. Shit yeah, what the hell do you think?

After thinking about it more I'd like to see Trigun get made into a movie, if done right it could be awesome. I really don't want to see Bebop get turned live action, there could be some hot Faye action but Keaneu Reeves will be a shitty spike, they'll pick someone who isn't really in keeping with the character for Jet, and Edward can't be done without fucking the character up. Besides, they'll probably cast goddamn Dakota Fanning as Edward, and that will make me want to hurt a child. And Ein will be a bad CGI embarrassment, so no live-action Bebop.

I'm thrilled that they're making Watchmen, but I've heard that Alan Moore refuses to have anything to do with it, so there's potential for fail. I'd like to see Requiem: Vampire Knight by Mills and Ledroit get made into a movie, it's an almost Herbertesque fantasy romp that would be heavy on effects, violence, and boobs, a definite blockbuster.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #87
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post

I'm thrilled that they're making Watchmen, but I've heard that Alan Moore refuses to have anything to do with it, so there's potential for fail.
While the potential for fail is monumental, and the grumblings about the changes to the story are definitely out there, Alan Moore not supporting the film isn't much of a surprise. He's a curmudgeon who would hate any adaptation of any of his works, no matter how good they could be. I don't blame him, mind you. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is an absolute abomination and raping of his work and V for Vendetta is a lame ass movie that waters down the book into typical hollywood trite, removing some of the deeper political stuff and softening V into a completely dull character. He's repeatedly stated he wants nothing to do with Hollywood. I've got mixed expectations for Watchmen, but the trailers keep tilting me towards optimism. So with that in mind, it's time to block out all further viewings of any of the trailers to be released and stories to be printed. I refuse to let the Hollywood hype machine ruin this one for me.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:47 AM   #88
AquaPython
put it THIS way

im waiting for Avatar to be released.

but a GITS flick could be real slick with a good budget.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:01 AM   #89
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
While the potential for fail is monumental, and the grumblings about the changes to the story are definitely out there, Alan Moore not supporting the film isn't much of a surprise. He's a curmudgeon who would hate any adaptation of any of his works, no matter how good they could be. I don't blame him, mind you. League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is an absolute abomination and raping of his work and V for Vendetta is a lame ass movie that waters down the book into typical hollywood trite, removing some of the deeper political stuff and softening V into a completely dull character. He's repeatedly stated he wants nothing to do with Hollywood. I've got mixed expectations for Watchmen, but the trailers keep tilting me towards optimism. So with that in mind, it's time to block out all further viewings of any of the trailers to be released and stories to be printed. I refuse to let the Hollywood hype machine ruin this one for me.
It's rare that a Hollywood take on something doesn't disappoint me to the point of near tears. Starship troopers made me want to take a machete to the screen. The Spirit was suitable for use as kindling only. OTOH the Lord of the Rings trilogy, despite it's many departures from "scripture", was an incredible adaptation. As someone who has probably read the books 30 times in my life, I could spot them all and didn't care.

And I guess that's just it for me. As long as the movie is well done, I don't give a good goddamn if it's strictly loyal to the original story. It's probably better if it isn't because if they try to be, they'll never match how rich the story was in the reader's imagination.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:26 AM   #90
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
It's rare that a Hollywood take on something doesn't disappoint me to the point of near tears. Starship troopers made me want to take a machete to the screen. The Spirit was suitable for use as kindling only. OTOH the Lord of the Rings trilogy, despite it's many departures from "scripture", was an incredible adaptation. As someone who has probably read the books 30 times in my life, I could spot them all and didn't care.

And I guess that's just it for me. As long as the movie is well done, I don't give a good goddamn if it's strictly loyal to the original story. It's probably better if it isn't because if they try to be, they'll never match how rich the story was in the reader's imagination.
To me, there's changing a story to suit the media, which is fine. It's fucking impossible to turn a huge book into a 2.5 hour movie without cutting shit out.

Then there's the "hey let's change things to suit the studio's need to force a franchise/director's vision of the characters/attach a big name to a project even though they don't fit the part". That's where shit get's miserable. Superman's an emo cunt with a retarded kid? Gotham city is a flamboyantly homosexual neon night club, and Mister freeze is a monosyllabic idiot, while Bane is completely brain dead? Sean Connery playing Sean Connery in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? A sequel to 300? Seriously?

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote