Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-01-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic
Thumbs down Airport Police vs Romulus Police

Airport, Romulus Police Disagree On Patrols

Quote:
ROMULUS, Mich. -- Romulus police officers are being so aggressive that another police agency is warning drivers to be wary of a so-called “speed trap.”

Detroit Metropolitan police are outing Romulus officers who are pulling over drivers for speeding in the area of Interstate 94 around the airport.

"Under the bridge might be an unmarked Dodge Charger that’s there to nail you," said airport spokesman Mike Conway.

Conway said Romulus police are pulling over record-number of drivers in an effort to raise cash.

"To us, it’s more of a revenue generation for the city of Romulus than traffic safety enforcement," he said.

Conway said court records show the city has written 10,000 tickets since July 1st.

The Wayne County Airport Authority has even begun circulating fliers that read, "The Romulus Police Department has dramatically increased its patrols at the entrances and exits to Detroit Metropolitan Airport, using unmarked vehicles. Please be careful to observe all speed limits and traffic laws."

Airport officials said they plan on turning the flier into a billboard and will leave it up until the Romulus police stop targeting those entering and leaving the airport.

The airport police chief sent out an e-mail to officers telling them to park in front of a Romulus police patrol car if you see one and turn on overhead lights to warn drivers to slow down.

Romulus police said they are just doing their job and patrolling all of Romulus, including the area around the airport.

"We're going to be looking at those areas to make sure people are not speeding, to target traffic enforcement efforts in those areas to maintain safety and keep people safe on the roads,” said Romulus Lt. John Leacher. "That's our goal."
I can attest that they also do this on I-275 as well. Romulus police like many other police find something that works and they run with it. IT IS more about revenue than anything else. If it wasn't they would target other areas. :down:

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:05 PM   #2
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

and then they'll wonder why people hate the cops...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Would a Star Trek joke be too geeky and obvious?

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
Would a Star Trek joke be too geeky and obvious?
I was thinking it but figured I'd let it go

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #5
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Ok... and the point?

You break the law and get caught, you pay the fucking ticket and be a man. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this increased enforcement of laws.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Ok... and the point?

You break the law and get caught, you pay the fucking ticket and be a man. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this increased enforcement of laws.
If you design the law in order to increase enforcement-I see a problem. Reductions from 55 to 35 MPH zones are notorious speed traps.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Ok... and the point?

Thank you... I was wondering the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
If you design the law in order to increase enforcement-I see a problem. Reductions from 55 to 35 MPH zones are notorious speed traps.
this doesn't say anything about recently reduced speed area's...

they found a place where people speed alot... and so they're writing alot of tickets... I don't see the problem.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #8
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
Thank you... I was wondering the same thing

this doesn't say anything about recently reduced speed area's...

they found a place where people speed alot... and so they're writing alot of tickets... I don't see the problem.
The airport cops are probably taking shit from businesses. The Town cops are scaring people away, and somebody knows somebody to lean on at the airport.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 PM   #9
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
Now THAT I can agree with... though, I don't think that seems to be the case here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenix_Rider View Post
The airport cops are probably taking shit from businesses. The Town cops are scaring people away, and somebody knows somebody to lean on at the airport.
Might be the airport themselves... What I like about the article is that the local PD isn't bitching and moaning about the airport providing warnings... That at least gives the illusion that they really care about people obeying the law and aren't just about generating more revenue (though we know the truth).
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I used to live in that general area.........Romulus is a joke, it has nothing going for it. Not surprised by this at all.

You would think with the increased crime and unemployment the bad economy is bringing, cops could find something better to do than sitting on their ass on the side of the road.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote