Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #11
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Diva View Post
Idk know but I work during the week. Means time off work, and a 5 hour trip back down there. More cost involved cause this guy is a prick. Do you have to have a lawyer for civil cases? Never had any experience in this area.
You don't need a lawyer for a small claims case, but even if you win, the Judge will still be likely to give the jackass payment options, so you're back to square one.

JC
Old 05-04-2009, 04:31 PM   #12
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati Diva View Post
Idk know but I work during the week. Means time off work, and a 5 hour trip back down there. More cost involved cause this guy is a prick. Do you have to have a lawyer for civil cases? Never had any experience in this area.
For a full-blown civil suit, you'd be a fool to try it yourself. For a small claims court you don't need a lawyer and having a criminal conviction against him, with specifics as to damage incurred, should make it a walk in the park to win it. Unfortunately that doesn't guarantee payment; blood out of a stone, and all of that.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:50 AM   #13
bmblebee
Community Curmudgeon

Moto: '04 F4i

A civil suit can win you a judgement, which as been mentioned before, doesn't put any money in your wallet. However, win a judgement and you have access to all this person's financials. If they own any property, you can force a sale to get your money. If the judge allows a payment plan, any raise or bonus the fellow gets, you can attach for more money. the civil suit and judgement is a good way to go because even if you never get your money, you can legally harass this as$hat for your own amusement until you get your money

If You Don't Know What Your Rights are...You Won't Have Any
bmblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #14
Evadd
formerly known as tdah

Moto: 06 R1, 01 600R

i have a more satisfying idea - go do $4000 in damage to his car (or house, if his car is already a POS), and tell him you'll be sending him $10/month.
Evadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Ugh, our lovely justice system, have I got a story about that!...

Anyway, just be happy you're actually getting paid back. You should be able to recoup interest from it also (not 20% or anything astronomic, but something).

Don't waste your time with a civil suit, all your get is a judgment that may as well be written on two-ply. If the guy doesn't have much money, they can't make him pay you up front.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 05:27 PM   #16
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evadd View Post
i have a more satisfying idea - go do $4000 in damage to his car (or house, if his car is already a POS), and tell him you'll be sending him $10/month.
That's pretty much the way I'd go. You probably have access to his address, right? I'd make sure he never drives again. I'm a vindictive motherfucker like that.