Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #81
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post

I stay up nights because I know that the sooner I fall asleep, the sooner I'll wake up to yet another day I have no interest or desire to face. For many, depression (and the suicidal thoughts that accompany it) isn't a matter of choice.
Describes most of my days.
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 11:15 AM   #82
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I just don't understand how our ancestors managed considering that they faced far greater challenges and hardships than we do without being on drugs.
I had a longer response to this but then my browser crashed so heres the short version:

I think its hard to become depressed when youre spending all of your energy simply surviving. When you hunt and farm to keep yourself and your village alive you know that youre needed and you sleep when you can and wake up early because you feel that your work is important.

Now-a-days, most people dont feel their work has any meaning and that their lives arent important. Because they dont have to think about daily survival they are able to think about how much their lives suck and become depressed. Staying alive is easy here and I think we take it for granted. When it takes a lot of work I think you appreciate it more.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #83
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
I had a longer response to this but then my browser crashed so heres the short version:

I think its hard to become depressed when youre spending all of your energy simply surviving. When you hunt and farm to keep yourself and your village alive you know that youre needed and you sleep when you can and wake up early because you feel that your work is important.

Now-a-days, most people dont feel their work has any meaning and that their lives arent important. Because they dont have to think about daily survival they are able to think about how much their lives suck and become depressed. Staying alive is easy here and I think we take it for granted. When it takes a lot of work I think you appreciate it more.
I agree with that for the most part. Our lives are basically empty now... I think I have to disagree with you on one point, if someone dragged ass (as my Dad would call it), people didn't coddle them, make excuses for their behavior, etc. They put a boot in their ass and made them "snap out of it". People didn't put up with whining back in the day. Someone posted that happiness is a matter of brain chemistry, I disagree, happiness is at least partially, matter of choice IMHO. That's why people that live in trailers laugh and smile. While people living in mansions commit suicide if their fortune goes from 100,000,000 to 50,000,000. It's choice. You can either accept your circumstances, smile and make the best of it or you can focus on whatever the negatives are, wallow in those, cry about it and do nothing to fix it. I'm no Scientologist but I do believe that you can alter your perception of the world through positive thinking!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:43 PM   #84
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I agree with that for the most part. Our lives are basically empty now... I think I have to disagree with you on one point, if someone dragged ass (as my Dad would call it), people didn't coddle them, make excuses for their behavior, etc. They put a boot in their ass and made them "snap out of it". People didn't put up with whining back in the day. Someone posted that happiness is a matter of brain chemistry, I disagree, happiness is at least partially, matter of choice IMHO. That's why people that live in trailers laugh and smile. While people living in mansions commit suicide if their fortune goes from 100,000,000 to 50,000,000. It's choice. You can either accept your circumstances, smile and make the best of it or you can focus on whatever the negatives are, wallow in those, cry about it and do nothing to fix it. I'm no Scientologist but I do believe that you can alter your perception of the world through positive thinking!
I agree and this is what I was going to ask Triple and Fleck750.

Why are you unhappy?

Right now I'm not as happy has I have been. Not happy with what I'm doing right now.

About 4 years ago I had anxiety attacks because I was unhappy with where I worked and with the fact that I was working for someone else. The fact that I made good money made it worse because I wanted to leave but I felt trapped because of the money.

After being off on stress leave I had to find things to do that made me happy. I tried riding my R6 one day and that wasn't good. I was so stressed that I was losing sleep. Being tired caused problems with my balance and thats a bad thing on a bike.

FUCK!!! They just said that boxer Arturo Gatti was found dead. Fuck.

Well to shorting my story which I almost forget now. I had to park my bike for a bit because of this. That pissed me off. What made me happy was spending time with my brother. We started going to an indoor rock climbing gym. Then we joined a boxing club. Thats where my av picture was taking. Boxing really helped my stress and I started riding my bike to the gym. I even took my brother to the gym once on the bike.

One other thing I did was I left my job after being off for a year. I was making the money i wanted to make pretty much but wasn't happy with how I was doing it.

I had more I wanted to say but hearing about Arturo caused me to lose my train of thought.

The coles notes version of what I wanted to say is, find out what is making you unhappy and find a way to change it.

I heard a quote somewhere before that says "Life is what you make it."

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:15 AM   #85
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
I agree. Also why I'm about *this* far from quitting my job, divorcing the wife, letting the debt collectors come repossess all my shit, and hitting the Appalachian Trail for the next six or 12 or however many months.

No path or purpose? Don't really know, actually.
Thats the thing. You just need to thing really hard about what you want in life. Then from there you have to decide how you can get there.

I need to make some big decisions about what I want to do right now myself. There are more then a few things I want in life right now. I need to think about what path I want to take to get there. Not on of them is 100% perfect but I need to figure out which one works best for me and my family. The main thing in the end is that I'm happy.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote