Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-22-2008, 09:09 PM   #11
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

its an entry level ninja. thats why it blew up. those little 250's and 500's just SUCK period in design. they're cheap pieces of shit. and being you left it on the interstate, I can 99% guarantee you its been stolen by now. two people down here broke down on a major road, and their rides were stolen recently. I'd be pushing that bitch to an offramp and go rent a U haul.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 PM   #12
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Bob your the only person I've ever heard say the EX250 and 500 suck... I've heard nothing but good things about them... and considering they sell pretty damn well for being at least 15 year old design... I'd say they're out dated but a solid design
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #13
Shift
Just a Noob

Moto: 08 Green 6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
Bob your the only person I've ever heard say the EX250 and 500 suck... I've heard nothing but good things about them... and considering they sell pretty damn well for being at least 15 year old design... I'd say they're out dated but a solid design
Indeed. For 2 grand I can go pick up an 06 250 with 1000 miles and ride that bitch all over town. Sure the suspension isn't the best in the world compared to a supersport but for what their used for, saving money on gas and introducing new riders to the street, I'd say their some of the best bikes around.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:28 AM   #14
Antwanny
WERA White Plate

you checked out the hyosung gt250r? A guy i know has one the thing is actually pretty cool i think new they are 4k. And even their the 650r is a damn good bike (same guy has one) brand new is 6 or 7k.
________
Chrysler Phoenix Engine
________
LUIGI VILLORESI

Last edited by Antwanny; 04-07-2011 at 07:31 PM..
Antwanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:35 AM   #15
BobTheBiker

Quote:
15? ROFL the EX500 motor is a bored and stroked 454LTD engine, which puts it now closer to 30 years old. the EX500 is actually the turd design wise. I really hate the weak bottom end of the 500. from 11000rpm, you literally venture into grenade without a pin territory. they're great if you take care of em and dont expect a rock solid chassis or adjustability in the suspension. I HATE working on the 250s. 500's arent so bad to work on, but their frames are REALLY REALLY lacking.

if you want a good beginners bike, buy a 2nd gen EX500 motor from a wrecked bike with a fucked up frame, get a GS500 with a seized engine and title, and put the EX engine into the GS frame with an SV650 rear shock and Katana front end. the difference is night and day.

Quote:
you checked out the hyosung gt250r? A guy i know has one the thing is actually pretty cool i think new they are 4k. And even their the 650r is a damn good bike (same guy has one) brand new is 6 or 7k.
Hyosung? its a fucking yugo. hit 11k miles and they spin bearings CONSISTENTLY. hyosungs are pieces of shit plain and simple. they're cheap KNOCKOFFS of the SV, and parts wont even interchange from the SV.

theres a reason those hyosungs are so cheap. people I talk to who have had the (mis)pleasure of working on them have said the internals look really ragged and poorly built.

My point, BUY Japanese. it pays. a GS500E/F is a great place to start, especially once you put a Katana front end, and SV650 or GSXR rear shock in the bike, plus a newer Katana rear wheel with a 160 rear tire. boom. instant half liter duc eater.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:05 AM   #16
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I agree with you on the Hyosung...

and when I said 15 I was talking about overall design... as in the plastics ect...

but my point is... your still the ONLY person I've heard say that... I was always told the EX250 and 500 were just as bullet proof as the SV. and an outstanding first bike.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:36 AM   #17
jeeps84
No longer MIA

Moto: 1987 GSXR 50, 1996 Ducati M900, 07 GSXR 750, 07 Harley Davidson Night Train

Its a 5 year old 250. I would just leave it and hope somebody steals it. Not worth the tow bill to drag back or fix after getting it back. Cheaper to find another one.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #18
BobTheBiker

Quote:
but my point is... your still the ONLY person I've heard say that... I was always told the EX250 and 500 were just as bullet proof as the SV. and an outstanding first bike.
The 250, yes, tough bottom end, I know someone who bounced his off the limiter all the time, didnt blow it up somehow.

the EX500 is just not that bulletproof. dependable and easily maintained? yes. bulletproof? bullshit. soon as you hit 11500 on the tach, the motor is literally on the threshold of death because some dipshit forgot or figured it didnt need a rev limiter @11k rpm.
and the EX500's design actually is more like 21 years old. they just redid the body, flywheel, suspension, larger wheels, disc brake in back, and a better transmission in 94. the motor was 20 years old in 87, although the cams and bore plus stroke are different.

its an alright design, but I'd prefer the GS500 because it has a much better frame, and is more easily upgraded. all that bike needs is a 4 valve head and it'd be a bad ass bitch.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:51 PM   #19
TATER
Legend in his own mind

Moto: CBR

is the bike fully insured??? If so report stolen. then ask mods to delete this thread or else the muffin man will own you...

:see epic ownage by honda tech forum of mustang kid.
Old 10-23-2008, 02:54 PM   #20
Shift
Just a Noob

Moto: 08 Green 6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TATER View Post
is the bike fully insured??? If so report stolen. then ask mods to delete this thread or else the muffin man will own you...

:see epic ownage by honda tech forum of mustang kid.
Lol. this kid isn't on this forum he's on a Kawi site. And yeah I know aobut honda-tech I made that thread.
Shift is offline   Reply With Quote