Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Nah. Then he'd just bitch about people dragging the clutch, or leaving the dome light on.

JC
Or, putting something other than gloves in the glove-box....

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #12
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Lazy
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Or, putting something other than gloves in the glove-box....
There outta be a law!

JC
Old 11-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #14
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
1) people who back up and then put it into Drive before they have stopped backing up? Probably damaging not only their transmission but also other components like the engine mounts that are forced to absorb the stress. I notice women are more likely to do this.

2) people who are parked on a hill, and when they get back in and leave, you see them forcibly yanking their shifter out of Park with a big "clunk" because when they originally parked they didn't know how to do it properly. Hint for the stupid -- When you park, you are supposed to pull your parking brake BEFORE you take your foot off the brake, instead of allowing your transmission to absorb all the stress of holding the car.

There is a shaft in your transmission called a "parking pawl" that supports the weight of your vehicle when it is parked. No doubt the park brake is a better option. Also, if the transmission can handle the accelerative forces of the engine, it can handle the engines weight while it is stopped.

As for the reverse to drive thing, your engine takes care of that. There is a reason why your auto transmission is designed to slide from reverse to drive without pushing down any of the buttons. It might be a little more abrupt than doing it with a manual trans, but your auto tranny WILL absorb this. It was designed to shift for you after all.

Now, neither of those things are particularly good for you car,but I wouldn't put too much thought into them when buying a vehicle.

I can see what you're saying about motor mounts, except that they're designed to take up flex and vibration. If they're near breaking, this wouldn't help them. But, causing them to wear faster? I don't see it..

Wanna know what's hard on a car? Starting it and then immediately driving off without letting the oil thin out and circulate. Turning the wheel while you're stopped, it's much harder on the steering components than while you're moving. Running your a/c then not running just the fan after, this allows moisture and eventually mold to build in your system.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM   #15
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
There is a shaft in your transmission called a "parking pawl" that supports the weight of your vehicle when it is parked. No doubt the park brake is a better option. Also, if the transmission can handle the accelerative forces of the engine, it can handle the engines weight while it is stopped..
But if you have to use all your strength to yank the lever out of Park because it's holding the car on a steep incline, couldn't you be damaging that shaft?

Quote:
Now, neither of those things are particularly good for you car,but I wouldn't put too much thought into them when buying a vehicle..
But if something isn't good for the car, and it doesn't benefit you in any way, why do it?

Quote:
I can see what you're saying about motor mounts, except that they're designed to take up flex and vibration. If they're near breaking, this wouldn't help them. But, causing them to wear faster? I don't see it...
Most mounts are made of rubber, and some have fluid in them as well. On my car, a common failure is the mounts getting stretched to the point where the rubber tears, thus leaking out all the fluid inside. And then later, the rubber starts separating from the metal casing. Why would anyone want to hasten this process?

Quote:
Wanna know what's hard on a car? Starting it and then immediately driving off without letting the oil thin out and circulate. Turning the wheel while you're stopped, it's much harder on the steering components than while you're moving. Running your a/c then not running just the fan after, this allows moisture and eventually mold to build in your system.
All true. Also:
#1 Lugging your engine uphill at low rpm.
#2 Holding your steering at full lock for an extended time.
#3 Driving in sub-freezing weather and suddenly turning on the defroster -- This causes any cracks in the windshield to expand. Turn the defroster on SOONER, before the heating system is piping hot.

Last edited by Homeslice; 11-11-2009 at 10:54 AM..
Old 11-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #16
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
But if something isn't good for the car, and it doesn't benefit you in any way, why do it?

Your stance is this is something women do.

Women use the same argument about blow jobs.

You do the math.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 AM   #17
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Your stance is this is something women do.

Women use the same argument about blow jobs.

You do the math.

So pleasing your S.O. doesn't give you reciprocal benefits?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:41 AM   #18
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
But if you have to use all your strength to yank the lever out of Park because it's holding the car on a steep incline, couldn't you be damaging that shaft?

Most mounts are made of rubber, and some have fluid in them as well. On my car, a common failure is the mounts getting stretched to the point where the rubber tears, thus leaking out all the fluid inside. And then later, the rubber starts separating from the metal casing. Why would anyone want to hasten this process?

All true.

Also:
#1 Lugging your engine uphill at low rpm.
#2 Holding your steering at full lock for an extended time.

Numbering these so I don't confuse myself.

1. If they have to use all of their strength, then there is something messed up there.. Hard to say what the cause is though. I do agree that it's stupid to not use your park brake on a hill. I use it every single time I stop my vehicle.

2. NOTHING is good for your vehicle. Sun fades the paint and breaks down the rubber. Driving it causes wear. Get what I'm saying? I see your point, but at the same time I don't see these being big enough issues to change somebody's driving style.

3. Your motor mounts sound like our "shock mounts" on the boat. They're rubber boots filled with very thick silicone. They dampen vibration and absorb shock. I can honestly say I've never know anybody who has had motor mounts fail. I know of people who have had cab mounts fail on pickup trucks, but I've never experience a motor mount failure.

4. NEVER lug your engine. You're slowing down the engine rpm to below what it needs to sustain itself. Lubrication would be effected because it needs centrifugal force to form their hydrodynamic wedge which your crank shaft rides on. Metal to metal contact could occur.

5. I just cracked my windshield recently and it wasn't cold out. I turned on the heat, damn thign spread right across my windshield. I was very pissed off.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #19
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

our driveway has a good amount of incline, so if we park outside the garage we always always e-brake it. trying to get visitors to do it is a diff story. and it's obvious enough when parking you'd notice the incline.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #20
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Lubrication would be effected because it needs centrifugal force to form their hydrodynamic wedge which your crank shaft rides on.
This sentence is funny.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote