Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #11
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
1) If I put the files I want to open on my desktop, they copy quickly, they open quickly, just the way they should.

2) I have only XP and W2K in the office. I accessed the server a couple of days ago with W2K, and as I recall, it seemed fine, but I don't recall for sure.

3) I cannot map via IP either.

4) The server is only configured with DNS, DHCP, PDC, and file server. That's all it does. It's a 2.0ghz, Dual core pentium with 4gb of ram. It should be up to the task.

In speaking with my resident tech guys, they think it's a hardware issue, as I noticed this morning I'm getting a Hard Disk 0 Seek Failure on boot up. The machine does have a raid card in it, so I don't know where the issue is. But, I'm about to call Dell and see about getting some hardware replaced.

So that's where I'm at so far. I'm open to more ideas though!

Thanks again for your help!
I was wondering more about the speed at which the copying over from the server initiates, rather than opening the file once the copying is complete.

Is this box running a RAID-5 config, or is it just mirroring? Striping? If it's mirrored and one drive has gone dead, then that could account for why it's so slow.

RSV is right about connect speeds. I've seen Dell units get confused about the link speed and try to push 1Gb, though the switch is only able to handle 100Mb. This gives a dog slow network performance that you can even see in IE/Firefox.
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #12
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
A few more questions:

When you copy the file locally in order to test whether it will open faster locally than it does over the network, does it hesitate in the same way when you start the copy? Does the copying take place quickly?

Guys, I forewarn all that I am about to say with the disclaimer that I am a computer dinosaur, and perhaps am not up on the latest, but this sounds familiar.

I think the question asked above is crucial. Furthermore, do other apps suffer from the same access problems? In the very same network folders?

If not, consider this:

Some apps just don't like their shit on a netshare, and kinda freak out, because internally, they don't handle path shit correctly.

my $.02
Old 12-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #13
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Rob, it doesn't hesitate when I start the copy. BAM it starts and goes. It's quick.

The server is running Mirrored with 2 drives. I'll have to verify the NIC, but I think it's set to Auto.

Online with Dell tech support now. More to come.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Guys, I forewarn all that I am about to say with the disclaimer that I am a computer dinosaur, and perhaps am not up on the latest, but this sounds familiar.

I think the question asked above is crucial. Furthermore, do other apps suffer from the same access problems? In the very same network folders?

If not, consider this:

Some apps just don't like their shit on a netshare, and kinda freak out, because internally, they don't handle path shit correctly.

my $.02
That's why I asked the earlier question about mapped drives having been tried; some apps just don't like UNC pathnames. If Windows takes care of the mapping and presents it like a local drive, then they usually do OK.

If even copying the files results in a delay, then the issue is more likely server side. If it's when the file is opened, then it's probably client side. No guarantees, but on average...
Old 12-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #15
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
Rob, it doesn't hesitate when I start the copy. BAM it starts and goes. It's quick.

The server is running Mirrored with 2 drives. I'll have to verify the NIC, but I think it's set to Auto.

Online with Dell tech support now. More to come.
After you try what they recommend and if it doesn't work, try locking all of the NICs at 100/half duplex and see if it helps.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #16
Aero 1
Trailer Queen

are both the NT server and the new 2003 server acting as DNS servers? there could be your conflict. Also, you didnt set DFS shares on the 2003 did you?
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #17
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
are both the NT server and the new 2003 server acting as DNS servers? there could be your conflict. Also, you didnt set DFS shares on the 2003 did you?
That's why I suggested testing by file copy. That didn't have any issues, so a DNS conflict shouldn't be the issue. It's also the reason that I suggested trying it with the NT box disconnected.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #18
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aero 1 View Post
The 2003 Server has DNS running, but not the NT server. I'm 'bout to kill this whole damn thing! Demoted the 2003 Server from a PDC to a workgroup too.