Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-05-2008, 07:21 AM   #1
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT
Default Computer peeps..Server 2003 question..

Ok, so I just connected a new Windows 2003 Server, accessing it with Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000 Pro.

I don't have the whole thing online totally yet, as the old NT server is still running, because of a problem I am having.

The main job of the server is file storage. I do have it set up as a PDC, with DNS and DHCP configured.

The problem I am having is file access. When I try to open an AutoCAD file, the system practically locks up. It drags to the point that it tells me the file is invalid. I can copy the same file to my hard drive and it opens quickly and perfect. No troubles.

The cabling is not in question. Connectivity is fine. Even Word and Excel drag a little bit, but at least they open. Although, if i open Explorer and try to double click on the file there, it will lock the system up too. I'm at my wits end and any suggestions would be very welcomed!

I'm going to call Dell this morning and hope that I talk to someone I can understand. I haven't had such good luck with that in the past.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:29 AM   #2
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

It might help the server types if you can say how you're accessing it. Are you using UNC pathnames? Drive mappings? Are there any UNC pathnames or drive mappings that have recently been eliminated? This can result in long delays, while Windows decides whether the dead links are still valid. If you have the "Web Client" service enabled on the XP box (it is by default), then XP will look for web content on any folder that it tries to open. This also slows things down. Then there's the way that Windows looks for Scheduled tasks on every remote folder. I don't have the registry hack handy, but it's one entry that needs to be changed, in order to disable this.

*EDIT* I did a quick search and found that system time settings can also cause issues with remote access speed. Have you matched the time zone on the 2003 server to your location and are both systems time synchronized (or at least close)?

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 12-05-2008 at 07:34 AM..
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
G-Rex
Where to next?

I've tried accessing both ways Rob. Right now, I have a netlogon.bat file setting drive mappings prior to user login. Everything is current and fresh. I don't know if Web Client services are enabled. If it is by default, then it probably is, as the XP boxes are new also.

There's also a line in the netlogon.bat file to synchronize server and desktop times. I hope this helps to start. I spent ALL day yesterday messing with it, as well as a good friend of mine was logged in from home helping me with it. He's confused too, and he has a couple hundred 2003 Servers deployed at his company.

Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
It might help the server types if you can say how you're accessing it. Are you using UNC pathnames? Drive mappings? Are there any UNC pathnames or drive mappings that have recently been eliminated? This can result in long delays, while Windows decides whether the dead links are still valid. If you have the "Web Client" service enabled on the XP box (it is by default), then XP will look for web content on any folder that it tries to open. This also slows things down. Then there's the way that Windows looks for Scheduled tasks on every remote folder. I don't have the registry hack handy, but it's one entry that needs to be changed, in order to disable this.

*EDIT* I did a quick search and found that system time settings can also cause issues with remote access speed. Have you matched the time zone on the 2003 server to your location and are both systems time synchronized (or at least close)?
Old 12-05-2008, 08:10 AM   #4
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

It's worth manually checking the date, time, and time zone settings on both boxes, just to be safe. As I've frequently found over the last 20 years of desktop support, just because something SHOULD happen, that doesn't mean that it DOES

You would be best off removing the NT box from the network while testing this, so obviously this will have to be done at a time when production isn't necessary.

It's easy to disable Web Client on the XP box. If that doesn't help, then you can always re-enable it later. Go into Control Panel and set it to "classic view", then call up Administrative Tools, then services. Scroll down toward the bottom and find Web Client. Double click it, stop the service, then set it to disabled. Reboot and try again.

Clear the "recent documents" list from the XP box. Make sure that there are no links in My Network Places that point to resources that no longer exist. Turn off the antivirus, or uninstall it completely. See if you can access the shares faster via IP address than by name (I've seen this more than a few times).

I looked around and found the registry entry for Scheduled Task searches on remote computers. It's in this location in the registry, on the XP box:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace\{D627 7990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

First export it so that you can restore it later, if you want to. After that, delete that registry entry and reboot. There's another entry in the same group for printer searches that can be deleted too, with the same recommendation to back it up first. This used to be a HUGE speed issue here, when we had a mixed Windows/Novell server environment.

*Another EDIT* I forgot to ask what service pack level the server was at.

Last edited by Papa_Complex; 12-05-2008 at 08:30 AM..
Old 12-05-2008, 08:39 AM   #5
G-Rex
Where to next?

Ok Rob, I verified the time stamp is the same on both system.

I also disabled Web Services on my XP system, and deleted the two registry keys you suggested.

I am still having the problem. Although now, I'm confident it's a network issue and not an AutoCAD or Office issue only. I tried to open a file across the network using Notepad, and it locked that up also. Ridiculous I say.

Off to the net for more google! Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'll try not to be too much of a pain in the ass today.

Edit: The Server is Windows 2003 Server R2 with Service Pack 2.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

OK, so the fact that it's at SP2 confirms that the known folder access speed issues that I was able to find have been dealt with. I've got a coupl eof work orders to take care of first thing this morning but Fridays are usually slow around here, and it's exam time, so I'll have some more time later to dig into it for you.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:52 AM   #7
G-Rex
Where to next?

Thanks Rob! I'm still searching, so I'll update as things happen.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #8
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

A few more questions:

When you copy the file locally in order to test whether it will open faster locally than it does over the network, does it hesitate in the same way when you start the copy? Does the copying take place quickly?

Do you have another system with a different OS (Vista, Linux w/SAMBA, etc) that could be used to verify that this behaviour is specific to WinXP and Win2K?

Did you try the idea I posted about using IP instead of system name? Perhaps mapping the drives by \\###.###.###.###\{share_name} would work better, if the issue has to do with name resolution?

If you set up a temporary share on one of the Win2K/WinXP systems and then access it from another, do you get the same results?

What other services are being run from the server. It's acting as PDC, DHCP server, and file server, but is it also the mail server or internet gateway? The more that you have the one system do, the more it'll bog down.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:13 AM   #9
G-Rex
Where to next?

1) If I put the files I want to open on my desktop, they copy quickly, they open quickly, just the way they should.

2) I have only XP and W2K in the office. I accessed the server a couple of days ago with W2K, and as I recall, it seemed fine, but I don't recall for sure.

3) I cannot map via IP either.

4) The server is only configured with DNS, DHCP, PDC, and file server. That's all it does. It's a 2.0ghz, Dual core pentium with 4gb of ram. It should be up to the task.

In speaking with my resident tech guys, they think it's a hardware issue, as I noticed this morning I'm getting a Hard Disk 0 Seek Failure on boot up. The machine does have a raid card in it, so I don't know where the issue is. But, I'm about to call Dell and see about getting some hardware replaced.

So that's where I'm at so far. I'm open to more ideas though!

Thanks again for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
A few more questions:

When you copy the file locally in order to test whether it will open faster locally than it does over the network, does it hesitate in the same way when you start the copy? Does the copying take place quickly?

Do you have another system with a different OS (Vista, Linux w/SAMBA, etc) that could be used to verify that this behaviour is specific to WinXP and Win2K?

Did you try the idea I posted about using IP instead of system name? Perhaps mapping the drives by \\###.###.###.###\{share_name} would work better, if the issue has to do with name resolution?

If you set up a temporary share on one of the Win2K/WinXP systems and then access it from another, do you get the same results?

What other services are being run from the server. It's acting as PDC, DHCP server, and file server, but is it also the mail server or internet gateway? The more that you have the one system do, the more it'll bog down.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #10
Rsv1000R
WERA White Plate

Something that I've found helpful is opening the task manager/network tab and have it display both transmit and receive data while you're testing, you can easily see delays, and poor bandwith usage issues.

I've also seen some wierdness with transmit rate when the network card defaults are set to Auto, you might want to specify 100base T or whatever your backbone supports.

Last edited by Rsv1000R; 12-05-2008 at 11:38 AM..
Rsv1000R is offline   Reply With Quote