Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #1
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Moto: FJR1300
Default Street legal 03 CRF-450R tard opinions?

Found a pretty nice one that's had a recent top end rebuild and runs like a champ. Much faster than my old KTM and has some nice goodies as well. How reliable are these on the street with frequent fluid changes? I've decided I may just go motard instead of SV as I already have a bike I can cruise around on. This will be strictly for twisties.
Akilldema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Pretty reliable but make sure it's has TALL gearing otherwise you'll be banging the rev limiter in 5th which isn't nice on the valves. If I had to go the conversion route again, I'd find an X with electric start because kick-only sucks balls.

What mods specifically does it have? How many hours on the recent top end?

BTW frequent fluid changes for a street going bike will require engine change about every 8hrs and trans about every OTHER engine change.(roughly 16) The book will recommend 15hrs for both I believe, but since the duration of motard riding is different than MX, personally I would make them much more frequent to prevent excessive wear.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:44 PM   #3
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Off of the top of my head: it has a full exhaust, has been re-geared, not sure what brand 17's forgot to look, sliders front and rear, bike stand, aftermarket triple tree and fat bar, CRG levers, Brembo brakes, a chain tensioner or something like that he mentioned, aftermarket oil filter cover, KTM SM front fender, acerbis headlight.. that's about all I can recall ATM. He said 10 tanks of gas since rebuild.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

CRF's are about the worst bikes out there for reliability. It has a new top end for a reason . . . it wore out. For mx bike reliability, Honda is the worst and Yamaha is the most reliable.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

It's 7 years old, I don't think that's unreasonable.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
CRF's are about the worst bikes out there for reliability. It has a new top end for a reason . . . it wore out. For mx bike reliability, Honda is the worst and Yamaha is the most reliable.
I'd say Kawasaki and Suzuki rank up there long before Honda.

Hopefully the wheels are Excel and not Warp 9. And it sounds like he has a chain slider which prevents the chain from eating up the tire/rim as supermoto wheels are dangerously closer to the swingarm VS the 2" MX rears.

How much is he asking?
Old 09-14-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

I'm thinking he'll take 3k. I don't know if that is what he has, he has a supermoto slick on there and he had to make some x cuts on the chain side of the tire with a razor to allow for chain clearance.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #8
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilldema View Post
I'm thinking he'll take 3k. I don't know if that is what he has, he has a supermoto slick on there and he had to make some x cuts on the chain side of the tire with a razor to allow for chain clearance.
LOL is that what he told you?

Ya I had "x" cuts on my old slick and my ContiForce tire on the wheel now. That's from the chain. IF he has a chain guard slider on there, he got it AFTER it chewed into the tire. While it's not a problem, he just lied about modifying the tire. Would make me suspicious about anything else he's done or thought he did that might help.(like pulling the head apart thinking it's good and replacing just certain parts and calling it "rebuilt")

But that's just me.

I'd take $3k for mine, however it's missing lights. And we don't live remotely close lol.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #9
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

I did see the old piston and some cables he replaced, so I believe that. I'll ask about the tire, it looked like it was notched with a razor, not chewed by a chain, but I don't know what it looks like when that happens.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:17 PM   #10
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

This is what happens when the tire gets worn all the way and the chain has it's way with the rim. It's an easy fix with paint or you can replace the rim($200) you just have to have the wheel rebuilt($60?)

*also look halfway up the swingarm... There's a slider block plate mounted there, that prevents tire/rim damage from the chain. DEFINITELY a must in a converted bike. Factory sumo's are built with necessary chain/rim clearance.

In the attached pic, there's "x" wear on the slick definitely NOT from a razorblade lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (297.1 KB, 4 views)