Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-23-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man
Default 1931 8th Grade Test

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...on/v/tests.pdf

Be honest how many of you would fail this?

I guess I might get a 50 if I were lucky. But After looking through the test, I really have no clue what some of the terms mean and how they actually fit as measurements in the real world (bushel and rod?). Compared to kids in the 8th grade today how many kids could pass this test? It seems to me that at the time it was written, this is the highest grade level many of the people taking it would get.

Some things that do stand out to me though, the math is all basic arithmatic, no geometry, algebra etc.. The history is pretty much limited to the 150 years prior to this test. And finally the test is very much focused on west virginia, its population and industry.
Old 12-23-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...on/v/tests.pdf

Be honest how many of you would fail this?

I guess I might get a 50 if I were lucky. But After looking through the test, I really have no clue what some of the terms mean and how they actually fit as measurements in the real world (bushel and rod?). Compared to kids in the 8th grade today how many kids could pass this test? It seems to me that at the time it was written, this is the highest grade level many of the people taking it would get.

Some things that do stand out to me though, the math is all basic arithmatic, no geometry, algebra etc.. The history is pretty much limited to the 150 years prior to this test. And finally the test is very much focused on west virginia, its population and industry.
Actually, any kid that grew up on a farm would get most of the math and measurements..real world wise..

As for the history...well, seeing as how the US was only a little over 150 yrs old at the time, I guess that would explain the narrow focus of the US history questions...
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Right, but what about the rest of the world history? My daughter in teh 5th grade has done history going back to sumeria, she does (very) basic algebra. Really what I was getting at is that while the 8th grade questions are hard, the knowledge base is much smaller and more focused
Old 12-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #4
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

I liked the question "what should you do if you are under weight?". I don't think we have this issue anymore!!
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #5
derf
token jewboy

I dont know how to answer that question, I think my answer would be to eat more and work less, Maybee veg out on the couch with a bowl of doritos for a few weeks

Last edited by derf; 12-24-2010 at 12:17 AM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 01:00 AM   #6
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

I can picture little Ralph saying, "Fuck this shit teacher. In the year 2010 I'll be in Florida livin it up watching hoes in their thongs."
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Just about any test looks hard when you havent studying/memorizing the material for a year.