Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-18-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
prowler
Trailer Queen

Default my issues with BMW and brake squeal.

ok,so i have been having brake squeal issues with my BMW,so i posted on their facebook page and they responded with a number to call.so,i called and talked to a nice courteous woman.i told her of my issue and she basically told me that BMW won't do a damn thing.the dealer has to look at the bike and confirm there is a problem.i have had this issue since the first week i bought it and have a paper trail confirming i've been having squeal issues since then.everytime it goes into the dealer,i complain about it.to absolutely no avail.service techs and salesman have ridden it and confirmed it and i get told "deal with it,we aren't going to do anything".
i'm also on the S1000RR forum and several other people have the same issuses as i do,including the new 2012 bikes.so i drop a boatload of cash on a premium motorcycle and they pretty much don't care.i guess i'll replace the pads myself and will post this all over the internet to let people know what to expect when they buy a product from them.BMW...so,to you BMW,nice customer service.you've just lost yourselves a repeat customer in myself.
this is getting posted to these websites to let others know....
S1000RR.com,sportbikes.net,R1-forum.com,bayareridersforum.com,
southwestrides.com,twowheelfix.com,ducati1199.com, gixxer.com,ZX-10R.net
the BMW facebook page,and others that i will run across.

if you'd like to reconsider your stance,please feel free to get in touch with me.
until then....nice job
prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

so your problem is the brakes are too noisy for your liking? There isn't any issue with operation, they are just noisy, right?

If that's it, my wife had the same issue with her Mustang and Ford told her the same thing. It's just a noise, get a pair of earplugs or a Sena to listen to some music.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:57 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Every bike I've owned has has some sort of brake squeal issue
Old 05-18-2012, 07:22 PM   #4
VatorMan
Wrap Yo Ass in Fiberglass

Moto: Feet

If your brake pad squeals-that means it's made of a material that will STOP your bike. Just hang around any road racing event and listen. You want quiet stopping power-buy a Harley.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Huh, noise on race brakes.

Weird

azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

There are a lot mechanical issues with BMW that people should be pissed about, this isn't one of them. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

I haven't had a bike that was covered under warranty for several decades. But even if I had a new bike and didn't receive satisfaction from the dealer, I would fix it myself. Especially something simple like this.

When I put Ferodo brake pads on my old Suzuki they worked great, but squealed loudly. I bought some Permatex Brake Quiet. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ntifier=160545 It is sprayed on the back of the brake pads and then reinstalled. I use this spray on the brake pads of all my vehicles.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Front brake on my Husky used to howl like a freight train. No amount of greasing and cleaning would fix it. I changed to a new type of brake pad and the noise stopped. I also got some better modulation; bonus.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:34 PM   #9
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

In my experience, when brake pads squeal, it's from improper bedding. I'm willing to bet that your manual has an elaborate bedding procedure that you didn't follow. I've used Dunlopads that had a very specific procedure that if not followed would result in excessive noise. Btw you may be better served by going directly to the pad manufacturer with your issue.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 05:19 PM   #10
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Another thing to do is to wash off the brakes at least once a week. Brake dust build up will cause squealing.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote