Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-28-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750
Default Good airfare strategies?

So we all know 3 weeks in advance is supposedly the "deadline" for good fares...........But lately I've been noticing there's no difference at all anymore. Seems like they fluctuate daily, and there's no big "drop" at the 3-week point anymore. One time I scored a hella cheap ticket the day before........I guess they were desparate to fill that flight? I have also heard that on Wednesdays the airlines cut fares cuz of low demand, and then raise them back up Friday??.....And then theres airlines like SW that have these sudden price cuts that only last 1-2 days, but I forget what day they usually announce those.

Anyone have any good tips? I don't like sites like Hotwire because I want to know exactly what it's giving me before I book.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 07:34 PM   #2
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

I have always found the lowest fares on www.kayak.com

I booked a Chicago Trip over Chirstmas...LA to Ohare for 328 total. This was a few weeks ago.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

The last few times I flew I had figured ou what day I wanted to fly, and wen on orbitz the day I wanted to travel.

Philly to Phoneix $199 round trip.

I also get my rental cars that way. My last rental was $13 per day.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:12 PM   #4
Angee
Dutch's PITA

Moto: I ride Dutch...and an 09 Kawi 250

I have to fly my kids 4 times a year. We only use Southwest because they are great with children flying alone (my younger is 7 flying with his teenage brother). Friday and Sunday have been the cheapest days for me. I toggle around and find the cheaper leaving flight with the least layover time, and then toggle the returning flight as well within a couple of days. I just forked out $584 today for their Christmas flights to see their father. I book directly on the SWA site because I haven't found it any cheaper to use those "booking services" online, and they won't book the kids at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Those things are awesome. We gave out the clap and syphilis last christmas.
Angee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

You are correct about there not seeming to be any more a cutoff point before a flight's departure, where fares will get much higher. Example - my brother had a business trip scheduled here in ATL last week. He originally looked at buying airfare about a month ago, then the trip was cancelled. Less than a week before, it was on again. When he purchased airfare, it was $75 cheaper than from the few weeks prior. So odd.

Maybe it is related to the steadfast decline in oil costs we've seen the last couple of months? Dunno. Just thinking out loud here.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
You are correct about there not seeming to be any more a cutoff point before a flight's departure, where fares will get much higher. Example - my brother had a business trip scheduled here in ATL last week. He originally looked at buying airfare about a month ago, then the trip was cancelled. Less than a week before, it was on again. When he purchased airfare, it was $75 cheaper than from the few weeks prior. So odd.

Maybe it is related to the steadfast decline in oil costs we've seen the last couple of months? Dunno. Just thinking out loud here.
From what I understand the airlines bid for their fuel prices covering a period in time around a year or so, therefore rising and falling of oil prices have impacts only so often... I'd guess the change has to do with not being able to fill the seats...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #7
PiZdETS
⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

Moto: ⎷⎛⎝ ⎝⏠⏝⏠⎠ ⎷⎛⎝

From what I hear fares are controlled by computers measuring demand, fuel prices, cancellation rates and everything else in real time to try to balance a good price with a profit. It's fairly complicated, some passengers tell me the cost to fly to certain places change constantly from week to week but we also have season long specials where the rate is constant to a destination.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

www.itasoftware.com

They are the guys that write the software for everyone else. Go in as a guest - then call the airline to order directly. There really doesn't seem to be a pattern anymore for actual days of the week that save you money. It's just a matter of stalking the prices...

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #9
Moni
Kawi FTW!!!!

Moto: 08' Kawi 250r

I have gotten really good deals on www.spiritair.com
Moni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moni View Post
I have gotten really good deals on www.spiritair.com
I see they always have screaming deals down to FL from MI.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote