Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #1
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1
Question German Shepherds + Kids

A question for those of you with German Shepherds and Kids (or if you know anyone with both):

What's your take on socializing a G.S. with your kids? Do you think it's better to have the kids first, then get the dog (so as to avoid the dog becoming jealous of the new, noisy arrival)? Or is it possible to have the dog for a couple years and then gently introduce them to children once they come along?

With a lot of dog breeds (i.e. Retrievers, Labs, etc...) I don't think it would matter, but I know G.S.'s can be protective, so I wonder if there's a "best" order in which to do this.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
JoJoYZF
Bring on the Zombies!

Moto: 2000 Yamaha YZF600R

I can only help a little but my dog came well after me and my sister were bron with no problems. My dog is also a german shepard mix though, so Im not positive how well a pure bred would get along with them. My dog would be absolutely no problem with new children, hes absolutely great with kids.
JoJoYZF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #3
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

honestly, I think the temperment of the GS comes into play. There are very "hot" dogs and there are mellow dogs. I think if you get a pup from a reputable breeder, and its been health tested, Xrayed, parents lineage, you'll get a great pup. As long as you socialize it and properly train it in obed, and advanced training.

I grew up with a GSD and a Pit Bull. Both were excellent dogs.

It takes a LOT of working with the dog to get it to where he/she needs to be.

But, then again, I am a huge proponent of its not the dog, its the owner.

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakel View Post
honestly, I think the temperment of the GS comes into play. There are very "hot" dogs and there are mellow dogs. I think if you get a pup from a reputable breeder, and its been health tested, Xrayed, parents lineage, you'll get a great pup. As long as you socialize it and properly train it in obed, and advanced training.

I grew up with a GSD and a Pit Bull. Both were excellent dogs.

It takes a LOT of working with the dog to get it to where he/she needs to be.

But, then again, I am a huge proponent of its not the dog, its the owner.
The breeder we're looking at is in up in Ohio (not that that matters, I just mean we're willing to travel for a reputable breeder), and they have a laundry list of things they check for/certify against, X-rays, etc... (and we met a local guy who got a pup from them and had nothing but great things to say about them, how they socialize the dogs, etc...).

I'm in absolute agreement that it's the owner who shapes the temperament of the dog, but I still want to make sure we do all we can to make sure it all goes as "right" as possible (and if that means waiting to get the dog until after we've had kids, then we're willing to do that).

There is a dog training school right down the road from us, however, that specializes in GSDs, so we'd probably look into some serious training (beyond puppy school), too.
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:59 PM   #5
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Im wth kel, dogs are like people, each different and it is the owners responsibility to shape the dog.

I would think if you properly socialize and train the dog, he will be fine if kids come later, but it is a full time job for such a large animal.

Ive heard both good and bad on both sides, but being a dog lover like I am, Id say go for the dog and train it well and youll have no worries!
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
Ducati Diva
just learning

Moto: 1996 M900

My german shepard/husky mix is a big chicken. He seems to be scared of everything and everybody. My son brought him home at eight weeks so no abuse. We can't figure his temperment out, some have said german shepards are skidish if they are I wouldn't recommend them as a kid friendly dog. He is a loving dog just can't handle the noise or sudden movement of kids.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I say get different kids to match your dog
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

For those with kids getting a new dog I suggest gradual introduction...First slather the children in some form of gravy (depends on the breed) or maybe just rub them down vigorously with bacon or ham, then turn them out into the yard with the new pet. Sometimes it helps to prep your animal by shocking it several times with a taser or maybe chase him with your lawn tractor.

Leave them alone for a few hours and give them time to bond.

After a few of these introductions your kids and your new pet will have fond feelings of each other and lifelong memories to cherish.

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:28 PM   #9
cuttle
now available w/o fish

Moto: DR650, Morini, 1/2 M900ie

Unless you want to wait till your (future) kids are older, start with the dog. A young dog and toddlers aren't a good match, dogs can be "nippy" as puppies and can be pretty rough while playing.

So, get the dog first, and in case you can't handle a dog, skip the kids.

- R. K. Milholland
cuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

my german shepherd loved kids...

... especially with a side of gravy

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote