Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 06-22-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes
Default Do You Critique Other Riders?

While going up Lookout Mountain today, I caught up to a cruiser rider. On the several curves I was behind him, he took at least a half-dozen corrections to get around each one. It was kind of scary seeing him jerk the bike around. Now I'm not real fast, but I am smooth. Finally, I couldn't stand it and passed him.

Coming down, I caught up to another cruiser who had a passenger. On one tight switchback, I could see that he held in the clutch while going around the entire curve. His brakelight was on, but I didn't look to see if he was using the front brake. I thought it was just a fluke, but he pulled in the clutch on the next curve too. These were sharp, steep curves, but what if he let the clutch out too quick? With the engine idling, he could have locked the rear tire and disaster.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 01:51 AM   #2
BobTheBiker
too much time on my hands

Moto: 01 ZX6R, looking for more now.

Some riders, such as those you speak of should really recieve a little criticism. constructively of course.

I try to do this with sme people I know well on rides.
BobTheBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 05:16 AM   #3
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

some people will never listen...
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 06:59 AM   #4
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

No. Because who's to say the guy riding like a jack ass isn't just fucking around?

When I'm out for a jaunt, I sometimes ride like a dick head and do things to amuse myself. That can me cutting corners at the last minute to get some serious lean angle through it to weaving in my lane to amuse myself.

Often times ill notice somebody behind me while doing this, then I just open it up and take off to give them a buffer.

So, who's to say you won't be giving unnecessary advice and come across like an ass?
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Never. I dont want critiqued by some two bit jabrone when I'm out so I dont do it to anyone else. The way they ride, for better or worse, is their own business. I just put distance between myself and shitty riders.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Cruzergirl
Its a good day.

Moto: Victory Kingpin Low

I never do but I'm a 'noob' anyway. My first time through the Gap I was followed by a guy on a motard (who said he rides that road every day). He stayed fairly close but gave me plenty of room as I was uber nervous on my V-Star. When I stopped at the store to gather my wits he complemented me on my smoothness and speed (for a cruiser).

I thought it was very generous of him to say those things since I was working VERY hard to do it right!

Last edited by Cruzergirl; 06-22-2009 at 10:09 AM..
Cruzergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:53 AM   #7
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

I don't critique other riders openly but notice the way they ride. It determines whether I'll ride with them again or not. It's a sliding scale.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
t-homo
WSB Champion

Often, I ask a faster rider if he wants to stay behind me for a few miles just to see how i look to them and have them critique me after we finish the ride. There have been a few times where riders I don't trust say something to me about my riding when they are behind me and I just ignore it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
I don't critique other riders openly but notice the way they ride. It determines whether I'll ride with them again or not. It's a sliding scale.
I think everyone does this subconsciously. I do nonstop. We have a pretty tight group of friends locally, and if someone new joins the site and goes for a ride, people who didn't make it will call people they trust who were on the ride to see what they were like and if they should ride with the new guy.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Sure everyone critiques the people they are riding with. My theory is this: Why should I take advice from some guy that followed me down the mountain? I dont know him from a hole in the wall. What makes his advice valid? I take advice from a few trusted individuals.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
shmike
Follower

I think it is only natural to notice the riding style / habits of someone nearby.

I usually only offer advice if asked.
shmike is offline   Reply With Quote