Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-09-2009, 07:10 AM   #1
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000
Default United Breaks Gui-tars....

So...

This has been in the news here for a few days. A local band had some issues with United Airlines when they broke one of their guitars. A year later after little response from the United, the band took it upon themselves to release a song on Youtube.com

I know some people might find this a little silly, but if you've ever had your bags lost for days or your stuff severely damaged, than you can relate. Sometimes carriers just suck when taking care of their passengers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YGc4zOqozo
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Well, you've just doubled the number of people who will see this video...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

All airlines treat instruments like garbage, break shit, lose shit, and then claim no responsibility whatsoever. I toured for 15 years, and saw it all.

I don't know when it became fucking "optional" to have your stuff arrive at the same destination in one piece...but as a musician, I am beyond disgusted with their attitudes.

Apparently, only shaming them publicy into acting responsibly COULD ever work, I'm afraid. I hope that one day, someone very famous takes an airline down significantly in popularity with a video like this, and perhaps then they'll learn to show a litle respect.
Old 07-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

I forget which airline it was, but they lost a suitcase of mine once, so I called "customer service" and the lady asked me to describe the contents. I started listing off all of the guitar effects processors that were in it and she stopped me because she said it sounded "really expensive" and didn't want to write all of it on the paperwork she was filling out. She asked if she could just put down "musical equipment" instead. Fine.

I was staying out in the middle of nowhere . . . 2 hour drive from the airport . . . and in their defence, they had a kid put my case in his car and drive it out to me that night. He showed up about 1am with my gear in tow.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #5
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Ever show up with your gear in an ATA flight-approved case?...And then had the agent INSIST on putting a "limited release" on it regardless (which absolves them from all guilt)?

As acting road manager for the band I was travelling with, we had this happen time and again. The most ridiculous aspect of this "release"? It absolves them from all responsibility NOT ONLY FOR DAMAGE, but if they LOSE YOUR SHIT!!

You're probably better off having shit in your regular bag, as you did. God forbid you provide a proper approved case, and tell them it's an instrument first...
Old 07-09-2009, 11:06 AM   #6
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

One more story, then I'm done. A very good friend of mine and a regular at the acoustic jam night I used to co-host traveled a lot for work. He always brought his guitar with him and he would stop into a bar in whatever town he was working in and hold an impromptu concert. He was a good player, great singer, and always made friends doing it.

Well, this one time he was up in Ontario for work and had his acoustic in the trunk of his rental car . . . which got stolen. D'oh!

It was an Alvarez. He replaced it with a Taylor as soon as he got home.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #7
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

I am not sure why YouTube is working, but this song is not what I expected, and it's pretty funny.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:11 AM   #8
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
One more story, then I'm done. A very good friend of mine and a regular at the acoustic jam night I used to co-host traveled a lot for work. He always brought his guitar with him and he would stop into a bar in whatever town he was working in and hold an impromptu concert. He was a good player, great singer, and always made friends doing it.

Well, this one time he was up in Ontario for work and had his acoustic in the trunk of his rental car . . . which got stolen. D'oh!

It was an Alvarez. He replaced it with a Taylor as soon as he got home.

I have another one:

A musician leaves his accordian in the back seat of his car after a gig, having been dead tired, and a bit drunk, and goes up to his apartment to sleep.

He awakes the next morning in a panic, for fear he has committed the ultimate musician's recklessness.

He rushes downstairs, and out to his car...only to find that his worst fears are true; someone has indeed broken his car window...and left another accordian in the back seat.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:34 PM   #9
Lucky3623
Official Thread Killer

When the Tigers flew me up to Detroit to try out for them, the airline lost all my luggage... My clothes, my baseball equipment... I called suckstomer service and got the response, "we are not sure where your bags are sir". After an hour on the phone explaining what was in my bags, and why I needed them in such a hurry she finally said she would try do her best to find my bags....

I got my bags 1 hour before I was supposed to be on the field... I ended up getting dressed in the back of the cab and made it with about 20 seconds to spare, cleat's untied, shirt not tucked in... yeah... it was a great 1st impression... Needless to say... I am not playing for the Tigers...

Last edited by Lucky3623; 07-09-2009 at 12:37 PM..
Lucky3623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #10
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky3623 View Post
Needless to say... I am not playing for the Tigers...
Are you playing for the Rangers, then?
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote